Gibson Brands Forums

Dot + B700

Memphs1978

Looks wise, I think it would look okay. Investment wise, I don't see putting a piece of hardware on a guitar that makes up over a third of the guitars original value. Usage wise, are you even going to use it? I have one on the Wildkat and so far I never use the thing.

Just my $0.02

very fair reply.. and i can honestly tell you I never thought about it from that POV! thank you very much

It's the way I look at all purchases, it's just the way I am. I also think that your "want" has value too, so in the end - is it worth it to you?

For me the answer is no.

Looks wise' date=' I think it would look okay. Investment wise, I don't see putting a piece of hardware on a guitar that makes up over a third of the guitars original value. Usage wise, are you even going to use it? I have one on the Wildkat and so far I never use the thing.

Just my $0.02[/quote']

I have Bigsbys on all three of my Gretsches.....and never use them.

I agree and I tend to be a little blunt about these things as well but IMHO start with a better guitar...by the time you put the B700 on it upgrade the electronics etc..etc.. You'll be polishing a turd as it were. I know some people find that offensive,but I don't mean it that way. I've over-done it many times hot rodding guitars myself. If it's aguitar you love and it's for you then that's all that matters,but if you are thinking about selling it down the road then don't do anything that can't be easily reversed.

fair nuff... no B700... i just thought it looked really kool... other then that i really dont play much music that would need or use for it thank you guys for helping see the light for a lack of better terms... lol

That's what we are here for, to get you to save your money to buy a more expensive guitar.

We live through others until we are ready to make our own purchase.

Layboomo, you offer some wise advice. Probably not a tactful way to express it but good advice nonetheless.

Figure out what you are going to pay for the guitar.

Figure out the upgrades you are going to make on the guitar. Price all of those.

Add them together and look at what you could get for that or for a little more. That should tell you whether it is worth it.

As far as adding a Bigsby to any guitar. I added one to my Sheraton that I got for about 1/3 of the price of the guitar. I use a Bigsby on a lot of songs. For me it is worth it. The other guitar player in my group has a Sheraton and if his had a Bigsby, he might pay to have it taken off. Obviously not worth it to him. If you are not sure that you want one, it probably isn't something you need.

That's what we are here for' date=' to get you to save your money to buy a more expensive guitar.

We live through others until we are ready to make our own purchase.[/quote']

lol thats the thing is i really dont want and didnt want a guitar that cost more money.. just for the fact ive never owned a semi hollow body guitar so far i love it and i will prolly get something a lil nicer in time ya know lol

lol thats the thing is i really dont want and didnt want a guitar that cost more money.. just for the fact ive never owned a semi hollow body guitar so far i love it and i will prolly get something a lil nicer in time ya know lol

Hey, just enjoy it and if you do some sort of mod, just make sure you are getting the enjoyment for the money you put into it. I think you will grow a stronger bond to that guitar before you grow tired of it.

When you consider that you can get a used Wildkat from a reputable dealer for $375 ish and a B-700 is $115 before installation labor......do the math if you want to try out a bigsby by the Wildkat. Even if you don't like it you'll do much better should you sell it.

When you consider that you can get a used Wildkat from a reputable dealer for $375 ish and a B-700 is $115 before installation labor......do the math if you want to try out a bigsby by the Wildkat. Even if you don't like it you'll do much better should you sell it.

That's the best way to go, IMO. layboomo speaketh sagely here. Everyone should buy a Wildkat actually. Well, no not everybody, don't want them to come a dime a dozen. Seriously though, buying a guitar already Bigsby equipped is a better idea then modding a dot, or even a sheraton. Those damn tell tale holes! I seriously considered bigsbyfying my Sheraton, but couldn't stomach the holes. Then I was looking at Gretsch's to satisy the GAS, and then found the Wildkat and went with that. I love that guitar, as might be known from my postings over the last several weeks. I DO use the Bigsby on it quite a bit, it's half of why I bought it. (The P90's are the other half-and that's another dual natured subject I get into elsewhere on this forum)

If you think you will get a better guitar later, don't invest the money in a Bigsby. I have a Dot and I plan on keeping it. I put a B70 on it, I didn't want to invest in a B7 for some of the reasons mentioned, and I got the B70 off Ebay for $80 plus shipping. I installed it myself. I use my Bigsby all the time and I'm thinking about putting one on my Sherry too. I wouldn't put one on it only because I thought it looked cool. I'd invest my money somewhere else. I really don't think of my Epis as investments, but decent guitars at a reasonable price that I can mod the way I want and not break the bank.

I looked at the Wildkat and came really close to getting one, but decided to go with a Dot and a Bigsby instead. The Wildkat may be a better bet for you.

Investment wise' date=' I don't see putting a piece of hardware on a guitar that makes up over a third of the guitars original value.

[/quote']

Funwise you can't beat putting a 300 dollar set of PUs in a 300 dollar guitar...(the guitar is a lot better than the price would indicate)

Layboomo' date=' you offer some wise advice. Probably not a tactful way to express it but good advice nonetheless.

Figure out what you are going to pay for the guitar.

Figure out the upgrades you are going to make on the guitar. Price all of those.

Add them together and look at what you could get for that or for a little more. That should tell you whether it is worth it.

As far as adding a Bigsby to any guitar. I added one to my Sheraton that I got for about 1/3 of the price of the guitar. I use a Bigsby on a lot of songs. For me it is worth it. The other guitar player in my group has a Sheraton and if his had a Bigsby, he might pay to have it taken off. Obviously not worth it to him. If you are not sure that you want one, it probably isn't something you need.[/quote']

Yup tact isn't one of my strengths...but I have lived long enough to make some mistakes and get some things right and I hope others can learn from some of that.:D Most people who know me know that and I don't take myself too seriously......so you shouldn't either! After all these forums are just a bunch of guitar heads sharing opinions when all is said and done.

I agree and I tend to be a little blunt about these things as well but IMHO start with a better guitar...by the time you put the B700 on it upgrade the electronics etc..etc.. You'll be polishing a turd as it were.

Very true

Funwise you can't beat putting a 300 dollar set of PUs in a 300 dollar guitar...(the guitar is a lot better than the price would indicate)

True, but that is for self enjoyment and you can reverse the mod if you decide to sell. Let's face it, putting $300 pups in a $300 guitar does not equal a sale of $600. Resale wise, it's a slam dunk loss, funwise, well that's in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

Since I don't do mods and I view things differently (as we all do), it wouldn't be a mod I would do.

Yep' date=' as $500.00 guitar with $400.00 worth of mods is a $500.00 guitar when it comes to resale.[/quote']

Very true, but I didn't buy my Epis to upgrade them to sell them for a profit, that ain't gonna happen. I bought them to play, and I'm not gonna pay 2-5 grand for a Gibby. The Epis that I have, and that I have modified have turned out to be good enough for me. Sure, if money was no object I'd be buying Gibson, but at this point in my life a good playing guitar is more important to me than a name.

Not really sure I would put 4 bills into a $500 dollar guitar though. But, if I felt the guitar needed a mod, I would do it.

Archived