Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson les paul studio vs les paul classic

marcbc

I know this is a epiphone forum but i value your opioins. I have a gibson les paul studio but after a little snooping on ebay i saw that i could get a classic for not much money more. SO i currently have my guitar on craigs list do you think

that a studio to a classic is a good up grade??

Most people would agree it's a nicer finish, but it will probably be much the same in terms of sound and feel. Neck profiles and types of pickups have varied on both models over the years, so it's hard to say for sure. If it's not a lot of money, I'd see it as worthwhile....unless I was really attached to the Studio.

I have had a gibson les paul classic (60s neck) and I still have a Les paul studio I prefer the neck on the studio

but I like the thicker neck. Mind I have never played a classic with a 1950's neck.

so there you go

Yeah, and Some say, the only "Real" Les Paul's are the Limited Quantity Custom Shop '59's and '60's! That They will be the only ones worth anything, in the future "Collector's" market, when the originals are a fond memory. But, who knows? As fickle as people can be, the whole "Vintage" craze could evaporate with the demise of the "Baby Boomer's," too?

CB

I know this is a epiphone forum but i value your opioins. I have a gibson les paul studio but after a little snooping on ebay i saw that i could get a classic for not much money more. SO i currently have my guitar on craigs list do you think

that a studio to a classic is a good up grade??

I bought a 5-month old LP Classic Quilted Transparent Red about a month ago from an ad on Craig's. Included in the deal was a 20' cord' date=' 2 computer guitar programs, a capo, about a dozen picks, and a tuner. I paid $250.00 for everything.

I really suck at guitar but after having gone through a half-dozen different gits over the past 8 months, this LP is the best of the bunch, and at the price it's unbeatable.

Consider this though. Selling stuff on Craig's is very difficult. Most everyone who lists guitars there prices them way higher than the used market will support. No matter if you just bought the guitar today, it's used and its value is less than half of what you paid for it, unless its a "classic".

Good luck!

TFlan[/color']

This was a kinda rare factory 3 pickup LP classic and when I swapped out the guts and pickups I was surprised at the level of construction and components...and not in a good way. I made some $$ on the guitar but I don't miss it although it was pretty!blklpclscF.jpg I've played LP studios that were every bit as good as that guitar if not better! For comparison this standard was a WAY BETTER guitar and I paid almost the same thing used for both of them. blklpstdF2.jpg

I was surprised at the level of construction and components...and not in a good way.

In what way(s) specifically, if you don't mind my asking? Just curious. Are you comparing to current normal

"Standards" or Custom Shop "Standards," or what? Again, just curious...not giving you a hard time, here.

;>)

CB

In what way(s) specifically' date=' if you don't mind my asking? Just curious. Are you comparing to current normal

"Standards" or Custom Shop "Standards," or what? Again, just curious...not giving you a hard time, here.

;>)

CB[/quote']

Not at all CB.... well these were both made in 2001 and on the classic the wiring guage, quality and soldering were really average or less than for an expensive guitar. The wire channel from the pickup cavity to the switch compartment was this Big squared off opening that was not very attractively done and those puke green fret inlays just look FAKE not aged or old. The body also felt really light for a paul and the stock tuners had to be replaced with Grovers for tuning stability(2 of the stock klusons slipped). Also the control cavity was really rough for an expensive instrument ....just seemed like a real wham bam routing job compared to other pauls I've owned. Again none of this is visible without removing covers and pickups etc...etc...but when you are paying a couple grand for these guitars new I expect more! I took it in trade and like I said I did OK on the re-sale and it was a fire breather with those active EMG's but not my style guitar at all to be perfectly honest. The standard was just a better made guitar all around. The R-7 Gold Top I had was much better than both the Standard and the Classic as well....as you would expect. It's obvious that much if not all of the routing is being done on CNC machines,but on some of the lower end models it seems like they don't even de-bur them before they spray them!#-o It's almost as if Gibson is saying for this price you get X level of detail...then for the next level we'll do a bit more sanding,but if you want a really nice fit and finish...that's custom shop! I'm sorry but for what they charge for any Gibson it ought to be well finished!

Yeah, I've noticed the Finishing detail (or lack thereof) as well. I saw some SG Custom re-issues in GC, not long ago,

that had horrible "prange peel" in the paint. looked as though it had never been finish sanded. It was on the edges

and back of the headstock, especially. The body, though not nearly as bad, has some...to a much less obvious degree.

And, I think those are supposed to BE "Custom Shop!" So...??? Paying a LOT, doesn't mean you'll (always) get what

you should, for that kind of money. I have a year 2000 Gibson Classic LP (plus top) in Honeyburst, and I had to buff out

a clear coat drip mark, right on the face...didn't see it, in the store, as it was near the volume/tone controls..between them

and the binding. And, of course, by the time I noticed it...I was back here in Kansas (I got it, in LA, on a trip). I'm a LOT

more careful, NOW, about looking closely at fit and finish. Not having purchased a new Gibson, in decades, I just assumed (which always make an *** out of U and Me...but in this case, only ME), it would have been of the old standard of quality. I should have known better, as NOTHING (seemingly) is of the quality it should be, nowadays, especially for the prices things cost...not just guitars, but everything! So, that's why I asked you, for the specifics.

Thanks, Layboomo...

CB

Archived