Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pro

Gibson CS

I must say im very impressed with the Burstbucker Pros.

Very 70's rock sounding to me, but if I choose to "Metal" it up

a tad, its got plenty of snarl and almost limitless sustain.

Clean, its very warm and I can hear every note on every string.

Well done Gibson!

I must say im very impressed with the Burstbucker Pros.

Very 70's rock sounding to me' date=' but if I choose to "Metal" it up

a tad, its got plenty of snarl and almost limitless sustain.

Clean, its very warm and I can hear every note on every string.

Well done Gibson! [/quote']

Agreed. I love them!

Agreed, they're excellent pickups!

I posted this question on the Semi-hollow forum, but didn't get a reply. Thought I'd try it out here too.

Basically, I bought a ES-335 Block Inlay new in September 2007 thinking it was a '63 Reissue w/'57 Classics. It's not, my 335 has Burstbucker Pro 1 & 2. The only 335 without '57s!

Now I'm not disappointed at all, in fact, I love it, but I'm wondering if there's a noticeable sound difference between BB Pro's and '57s? I've thought about replacing them with '57s. Is that a bad idea?

Got a good deal on it though, I must say!! I bought this guitar new in the states for for $2,500 US. Exchange was $1.10!! Long & McQuade has it listed for $3,075 CND!

So far my PUP combos are:

LPC with 490/498T

LP with BB Pros

LP with P-90/BB3

SG Standard with 490/498T

SG with EMG 81 & 85

335 with BB Pros

None of my guitars have '57s!! I kinda wanted a guitar with '57s when I bought this one, but only because I don't have '57s.

Should I save my money?

Thanks, Tim

• 2 years later...

Agreed, they're excellent pickups!

I posted this question on the Semi-hollow forum, but didn't get a reply. Thought I'd try it out here too.

Basically, I bought a ES-335 Block Inlay new in September 2007 thinking it was a '63 Reissue w/'57 Classics. It's not, my 335 has Burstbucker Pro 1 & 2. The only 335 without '57s!

Now I'm not disappointed at all, in fact, I love it, but I'm wondering if there's a noticeable sound difference between BB Pro's and '57s? I've thought about replacing them with '57s. Is that a bad idea?

Got a good deal on it though, I must say!! I bought this guitar new in the states for for $2,500 US. Exchange was $1.10!! Long & McQuade has it listed for $3,075 CND!

So far my PUP combos are:

LPC with 490/498T

LP with BB Pros

LP with P-90/BB3

SG Standard with 490/498T

SG with EMG 81 & 85

335 with BB Pros

None of my guitars have '57s!! I kinda wanted a guitar with '57s when I bought this one, but only because I don't have '57s.

Should I save my money?

Thanks, Tim

I can only say I dont know but i can say I am thinking of selling my 335 Beale st because I cant put down my Les Paul with BB Pro's

• 1 year later...

I could not agree more! I remember when I bought my first LP, a 2003 Standard. I took the LP to my tech's house and he and I just loved the tone, creamy and rich, with good bite and detail. Stupid me swapped tons of pickups in and out, Wolfetone, WCR, Duncan, Rio Grande and after years ended up back on the BB Pros.

My other favorite Gibson pickups are the late 80s Bill Lawrence designed circuit board Gibson pickups called HBL/HBR. These are also really nice! I like these in my SG and now I have these in my 2003 LP Standard because this is a light and bright guitar so it works better with the hotter and darker HBL/HBR.

My 1994 LP Standard is heavier and is naturally darker. This guitar is getting the BB Pros so hopefully they work as well in this guitar. I did have Wolfetone TimberWolf/Marshallheads in this one but the TW is really hot, darker and compressed and I want this guitar brighter and more open since it is acoustically more dead and not as lively as my '03 burst.

Are you all finding consitency in BB Pros? So if you picked up a new set off ebay would they be as good as the BB Pros from my 2003 burst LP Standard? I sold those BB Pros and have to buy new ones now but may look for a set from that time period.

• 11 months later...

Archived