Gibson Brands Forums

Vox Tone Bender, or other favorite "Fuzz" box?

charlie brown

Found my old Vox Tone Bender, while cleaning out an old

chest, in the garage. Put in a new battery, plugged in my

Epi Riviera, and WOW...you'd never know it was over 40 years old.

Sounded GREAT! So, I got to wondering, what your favorite "Fuzz tone" pedals

are...and, if there is a current Vox Tone Bender made, or something with that same tonal quality?

CB

Surprisingly enough, I am very happy with the sounds I can get out of the Fuzz Face channel on my Pod 2.0. Very reminiscent of one of my favorite bands when I was a teenager, Mudhoney. You can get some nice crisp or fuzzy, almost like a shag carpet, sounds out of it. Based on Arbiter's, but I've never played the original to compare.

I love my Ibanez (we'll call it epiphone for the sake of the thread) tube screamer. I just feel like it's 5 overdrive pedals in one; very diverse IMO. When utilizing my neck, bridge pickup, tone knobs and the tube screamer I feel I can play just about anything. Some like to hate on the tube screamer but I love it, and that's my $.02

Back in the 1968 I had a Gibson Maeastro Fuzz Box. It looked like a door wedge with the footwsitch on the top

and the volume and tone knobs on the front. This thing had killer sound and tone to it. It was great for all the

Garage Band and Psychedelic music of that era. I used the word "was" in my previous sentence because someone

stole it from me.:). The fuzzes they make today don't compare, IMHO.

Yeah, the Vox Tone Bender doesn't really "screech," but has a nice (and controlable) warm,

almost creamy, at times, Fuzz. You can get just a "tube overdrive" tone, too. Although,

considering what's really inside, the housing is a bit LARGE..LOL! But, it's solid, too!

Maestro's were great "Fuzz" boxes, as well.

CB

I have been using the same Proco RAT forever... ( Radically Altered Tone )

I have an original RAT with a Ruetz Mod and as far as dirt goes.... it's pretty dirty in a good way! I usually just prefer a clean boost to push my tube amps into breakup,but for the fuzzier stuff the rat is a very good sounding pedal IMO.

My current lineup: an early 90's Rat, a late 90's digitech classic fuzz, and an original 70's Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes.

All are great in their own way, but these days, I'm mostly just plugging straight into the computer with a Line 6 UX1 and using the models in Gear Box.

I have an old MXR Distortion+, a Danelectro Daddy-O and an Ibanez Tube Screamer and I have to say that I probably prefer the Tube Screamer. The MXR is nice and warm but the Tube Screamer has more sparkle and clarity. I will, on occasion, link them up and let fly.

Well you either love it or hate it, but I adore my Z.Vex Fuzz Factory, you can get some great traditional fuzz sounds as well as feedback lunacy. I like RATs too, the Big Muff is too one dimensional for my liking, though it is a pretty cool dimension!

Maybe it's the worst of all Rat types but i HATE my Rat II I've had since june. Can't get a good sound out of it.

On the other hand i built a fuzz face clone last week (thanks for the tip m-theory) and Halejeula! amazing sound from any setting.

Go Fuzz!! Wooo!!!

Maybe it's the worst of all Rat types but i HATE my Rat II I've had since june. Can't get a good sound out of it.

On the other hand i built a fuzz face clone last week (thanks for the tip m-theory) and Halejeula! amazing sound from any setting.

If you can built a Fuzzface, you can mod the Rat... http://www.muzique.com/news/quick-rat-pedal-mod/

If you can built a Fuzzface' date=' you can mod the Rat... http://www.muzique.com/news/quick-rat-pedal-mod/[/quote']

I realise that and have looked into it (clipping some resistor for less gain and more bass) but I thought I'd cut my losses and sell it. I might do those mods at the weekend though, making it more muff-like sounds interesting.

I like muff.:-

Archived