Gibson Brands Forums

What's so special about Dots?

SomeIdiotDreamer

They look like big' date=' awkward things to me but people seem to really love them. [/quote']

Yikes! In the 60's, the ES 335 was THE guitar to have unless you played surf music. If you learn guitar on an acoustic flat top, they feel dowright compact too. In addition to Dots, there are numerous other clones of the ES 335. Try one. You'll like it!

This is big and awkward!

log.gif

Jeffery pointed something out, the body style is the big thing, if you have $$$$, buy a ES335. However, there are a lot of manufacturers making guitars with that body style and some nice electronic set-ups.

I recommend this style guitar to everyone and for those that have followed my recommendation, I can't think of one that was disappointed.

"Dot's," and other thin line, semi-hollow body electrics, have a the sustain of a LP, but the roundness, and warmth of tone, of a more hollow body, that you just don't get, with a solid body guitar. So, it's the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Some, won't play anything else...others prefer "solid" body guitars. But, it's really not a matter of better or worse, just

different. Gibson (ES-335, ES-345, ES-355 & "Lucille") are all fantastic guitars...differing in "cosmetics" mostly. They are

WAY expensive, nowadays, though. So, the Epi DOT does extrememly well, at capturing the Gibson tone/feel (especially

with electronic upgrades (Pickups, pots and switches), for a fraction of the cost of a Gibson. Sheraton's, and Riviera's are

two other Epi's that do that, too.

So, learn all you can, on your new LP Ultra-ll (Great guitar, by the way), and add a "Dot, Sheri, or Riviera," later! Notice, I

didn't say "replace" your LP with one...but, add to it. There's a place, for both! We won't even talk about Strat's, Tele's,

or SG's, yet. LOL!

CB

What CB said! I just upgraded all the electonics and pickups on my Dot and it's rapidly becoming my "go to" guitar when I'm looking for serious tone/sustain. And as Strum and others have also mentioned, it's one of the most versatile guitars out there. You'll eventually get one (or one like it), and love it. I certainly do.

Honestly for me- absolutely nothing special- i have a few dozen guitars

and gassed for this one like everyone else... tripped on modding it for a week-

never gigged it and now sits in the closet and will be traded for a 4th round draft choice on CL one of these days...

Here's a pic of mine... for me , just not a keeper... IMG_0601.jpg?t=1226904691

Honestly for me- absolutely nothing special- i have a few dozen guitars

and gassed for this one like everyone else... tripped on modding it for a week-

never gigged it and now sits in the closet and will be traded for a 4th round draft choice on CL one of these days...

for me ' date=' just not a keeper... [/quote']

That has mean 90's in it! Are you crazy? ps, love my dot with the 90's

So, learn all you can, on your new LP Ultra-ll (Great guitar, by the way), and add a "Dot, Sheri, or Riviera," later! Notice, I

didn't say "replace" your LP with one...but, add to it. There's a place, for both! We won't even talk about Strat's, Tele's,

or SG's, yet. LOL!

LOL!, CB don't worry, my Ultra II is more then enough guitar for me at the moment. I plan to own at least one amp and play something more interesting then three chords before I start expanding my guitar cabinet.

Still, looking and dreaming is free, right? :-k

Lots of people like Dots, and other semi hollow/hollow bodies because they make it

soooo much easier to find "sweet spots" onstage or in the studio that consistently

create "controllable sustainable feedback" for the screaming screeching leads some prefer.

If you've never stepped into a sweetspot and played the wave created by the feedback,

you should seriously try it sometime.

Caution, this can be habit forming, and usually isn't the best thing in the world for your amps........if you start smelling varnish, back off immediately <grin>

Yeah, semi hollows like dots or sherrys just feel amazing in the hands once your used to playing the instrument. I think youve got the perfect guitar to begin with but once you start looking for your own sound, be sure to try a nice semi acoustic. Ive had a couple of les pauls and 1 sheraton. The sheraton always made me smile when i played it. Its not out of commision just to a screwed up fretboard.

Im in the market for a new one at the moment. After an ebony one, which im going to put new pickups and a bigsby on. Oh yeah, they also look absolutely stunning too, put one of those in a room and people always assume thats one hell of a guitar. Somthing strats and teles (in my experiance) never manage to do!

Yeah' date=' semi hollows like dots or sherrys just feel amazing in the hands once your used to playing the instrument. The sheraton always made me smile when i played it. Oh yeah, they also look absolutely stunning too, put one of those in a room and people always assume thats one hell of a guitar. Somthing strats and teles (in my experiance) never manage to do![/quote']

+1 on that ! bigtime!!

GarysCam066.jpg

GarysCam069.jpg

A couple of years ago I was trying to talk one of my nephews into buying a dot but he would have none of it. I voiced my frustration to one of my brothers who said (wisely) that "with dots you either get it or you don't".

Wise words, those. For those of us who 'get it', there is no other guitar tone like a dot. It has all the fullness and thickness of an LP but you can still hear the 'hollowbody sound'. To me, the semi-hollow design is the pinnacle of all guitar designs.

There is just no other guitar that sounds like a dot (or 335). Not even other semis sound like them.

Archived