Gibson Brands Forums

Well I have this rare Archtop gem......

duane v

=D> ...... well from what little info I've received so far about this instrument...

Still waiting for some published info.....

however from what I've been told, this is a 1962 Hopf prototype archtop guitar, made for a company named Egmond.... Supposedly there are only three of these in existence. But there are a few other first article units with pick-guards and more uniformed/attractive headstock inlays.

If any of you find documented info on this guitar, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nevertheless she is a beauty

264030.jpg

264031.jpg

264032.jpg

:D ...... well from what little info I've received so far about this instrument...

Still waiting for some published info.....

however from what I've been told' date=' this is a 1962 Hopf prototype archtop guitar, made for a company named Egmond.... Supposedly there are only three of these in existence. But there are a few other first article units with pick-guards and more uniformed/attractive headstock inlays.

If any of you find documented info on this guitar, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nevertheless she is a beauty

[']

It looks a bit like a Hofner made archtop, made for Egmond (a Netherlands instrument

manufacturer). Hofner is well known for their archtops and Paul McCartney's unique

shaped bass.

It's interesting that they would use the "Triumph" label, and the "fleur de lis"

as Epiphone NYC did have a Triumph model archtop in 1939 with that particular headstock decoration.

The Triumph was made by Epiphone NYC, up until '57 when they ceased operations, and were purchased

by Gibson. Gibson continued making an acoustic cutaway version in the early and

possibly up to the late 60s. ( I had a '66 Gibson Kalamazoo made Triumph).

So as you say, this is probably a prototype and not too many were made, if there was any conflict

with the official owner of that name.

heres a link to what may be a similar archtop (but with cutaway)made by Hofner.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/archtops/arch88.html

• 2 weeks later...

An update*

After getting the guitar back from my tech yesterday evening, a hidden feature was discovered. There's a hidden pickup underneathe the fretboard area that has no frets (and it works). When I first recieved the guitar, I noticed the two receptical openings on the heel of the neck, but I just assumed those were for neck adjustment. One hole is a jack, and the other is for volume (it uses a little chuch key).

The body is solid wood... whatever that means.

that's a really nice looking guitar. solid woods and pickup.. very cool.

congrats!

well worth keeping up!

TWANG

thanx borther!!!

Since nobody seems to have a definitive clue who manufactured the darn thing, I'm gonna have a brazilian rosewood tailpiece made with a mother of pearl trebel clef inlay, and matching pick guard.

• 1 month later...

update*

Well I just got back from my Luthier, and basically he's installing a stew-mac double adjustable truss rod due to the the neck being bowed pretty bad. I guess most 1950 archtops weren't fitted with truss rods. He is also installing new fret-markers, and installing new frets.

The secret pickup is re-built, and once the neck work work is done, a new in-put jack and new wiring will be performed.

He did recommend staying with the original metal tailpiece, because wood takes the twang out of the sound (no pun intended to our member TWANG). He also told me by adding a truss rod it will make the guitar heavier, and will actually give it a darker tone.

He's also installing Vintage style scalloped knobs Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite gold plated tuners, because the previous owner installed the others backwards#-o

After it's all said and done, it will cost me $700 to fix the guitar, and make it play better than new.

The above is just a little food for thought, if anyone is in the market for an old vintage guitar.... be prepared.

• 2 months later...

Well after a million days I finally got my vintage archtop back and it plays and sounds absolutely perfect...

New frets.

New fret markers.

Installed a dbl adjustable truss rod.

New Grover tuners.

Removed and leveled the fret board and straightened the bow in the neck.

Cleaned and rewired the hidden pickup (which still sounds like crap). My Luthier told me acoustic guitars should be mic'd if you want them to sound good...

278540.jpg

278542.jpg

278541.jpg

thanks

It has a nice bright warm tone to it.

My Luthier stated this guitar was built like a tank and whatever company that built it made sure it would last. Usually the bindings starts to let go, also with the very drastic arch to the body that most let go and start to separate. But this one shows no signs of letting go anytime soon.

My daughter took it to her room, and I haven't seen it for close to two hours now.

That is one handsome looking archtop. Nice catch.....

That style of marker on the neck was used by FRAMUS (Franconian Musical instruments Co., Bavaria) for most of their more up-market archtops during the fifties (and I am sure by others too).

Did you actually nail who/what it was?

Man, that's gorgeous. I love hearing about great old unknown guitars getting a player's makeover. Those tuning machines look great.

PS, there's nothing about it in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars, 11th edition, except to say that Hopf made a bunch of guitars they can't find anything about. You should send them a pic and your info, it will probably get used because there is so little info about that brand available, and virtually nothing about archtops. Bet they'll give you a free edition for every year they continue to use it.

Cheers,

Was that Archtop once in London (england)? Listed as a 1951 Hopf Triumph?

Do you like dragging in general, maybe Cobra's in particular perchance.....

Note - one of those Triumph archtops sold at a Sunday 'Flea-market' in Geelong, Australia for 20Dollars (Australian) in 1990, and it looks pretty much identical in every detail.

80506246_4252702fb7_b.jpg

WOW!!! Finally she is not an orphan...she has a sister!!! That's the first time I have ever seen one, other than the one I have.

The one I purchased was from England, but it was listed as a Triumph from West Germany

Do you like dragging in general' date=' maybe Cobra's in particular perchance.....

[/quote']

I do, but these days with the higher demand of my job, my three drag cars just sit in the garage reeking of 110 octane fuel.

WOW!!! Finally she is not an orphan...she has a sister!!! That's the first time I have ever seen one' date=' other than the one I have.

The one I purchased was from England, but it was listed as a Triumph from West Germany

I do, but these days with the higher demand of my job, my three drag cars just sit in the garage reeking of 110 octane fuel.[/quote']

mmmmmmm idk about you but 110 race gas is like a cake baking to me... i love that ive ran 103 in my 98 Volvo S70 GLT and boosted up about 2 lbs more then normal... i would love to try some 110.. lol

sorry i didn't think of it earlier, but send some info over to gruhn guitars or archtop.com. they pretty much know everything about anything, ever.

secondly, who's your tech? i'm considering someone new.

sorry i didn't think of it earlier' date=' but send some info over to gruhn guitars or archtop.com. they pretty much know everything about anything, ever.

secondly, who's your tech? i'm considering someone new.[/quote']

I sent images to Gruhn and the only thing he was 100% sure of is that it was made in Germany.

I have two techs, Sammy Sanchez, He did my JL Junior project and some earier projects I've had or still have.

The other is Matt Levonian. He did the archtop.

Archived