Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry.....another ebay question

ant7629

Hi all

Anyone bought from this guy? He seems to sell a lot of Epi LP's at a cheap price. I have been deterred until now as I believe in "too good to be true", but at these prices, is it worth taking a risk? Are these fakes? Sorry to be asking this question again but some of you guys can spot one a lot better than I can!

Ebay item

Ant,

I have never bought a guitar on Ebay. I know some of the other members have. Most of them that have, knew exactly what they were looking at and how much it should cost. Once in a while there is a bargain out there. This guy seems to be full of them.

My take......If it is too good to be true.....

at these sort of prices there can really only be 2 explanations: either this geezer has got his hands on a job lot of bankrupt stock from a music shop that's gone bust...or they're knock offs / counterfeits. Either way, he didn't get them direct from Epiphone. If you end with up a guitar you like, then good luck to you! Myself, I'd never be happy. Even if it seemed OK I'd be looking at it, thinking..."what are you, and where did you come from?" But maybe that's just me.

I see what you mean about the headstock...it certainly doesn't look right at all. There are some others on there that look ok though.

It's curiosity thats getting to me I think. I read some many posts like this, but no one actually buys one. If I can get one at a very good price, it might be worth it or I am just being crazy???

It doesn't make sense to waste your money on a likely fake. I mean really, Epiphones aren't all that expensive to begin with. If you want another guitar, and don't have enough for a new one from a dealer, why not hit your local internet classifieds? With the economy as it is, you should be able to get some GREAT deals used (that is of course once the seller realizes that knocking 15% off the price they paid new isn't a GREAT DEAL for folks looking at their guitar! lol)

The other thing you might want to consider, is to buy one on layaway...just make sure it's a big box though...that is if you won't finance.

The main thing? Ebay seems to be fraud central when it comes to Epiphones...don't bother with it.

OK' date=' you have convinced me guys...I guess GAs was getting the better of me and clouding my judgement! Really would like a nice Epi LP Custom in black though.........[/quote']

Glad you reconsidered. I have purchased from E-bay, but only when it was something I really

wanted, couldn't get elsewhere, and was convinced of the quality/originality. So much is

priced WAY over what it should be, that it IS tempting, when you see what seems like a "bargain!'

But, you're far better off, trusting your the first instinct you had "if it seems too good to be true, it most

likely is!"

CB

Archived