Gibson Brands Forums

What's your biggest hurdle, the Spin-off

Just Strum

I found that there were a lot of similar answers and I hope this thread provides some ideas for solution. Time is a big issue and I think each have to address that differently. However, one that was noted a few times was the ability to practice productively. Although a number didn't note it, could it be that you had the problem at one time?

So to start, what are some of the things you've done to make your practice and playing more productive? What steps did you take to accelerate or improve the quality of your learning?

For me it was being able to record my ideas, first to cassette, now on my Zoom multitracker. Being able to lay down Back up songs to play to, was the key. From there it's turned in to just playing my own stuff which is never boring, and it forced me to sing and play at the same time. Now if I don't play every day I get really cranky!! Stan.

Well, I'm quite sure, learning to "read" music, would be one of the biggest improvements, as you could see

right away, how something is "supposed" to be done, as opposed to how you might have "Thought" it was

done? Which would eleviate a lot of wasted time/effort. Might not be quite as much "fun" in the discovery

phase, but...it would be a much easier learning process, seems to me. I DON'T read music, however...so,

I'm stuck listening to tracks, and trying to figure them out, the "hard way!" ;>b Probably too lazy, now,

to do it the "right" way. LOL!

CB

I have to say, when I got my pc connection up I can now mix my own sound with any tracks I want to play, which makes it sound really like it's "in the song" - this has made my learning process a LOT more fun and rewarding.

I've also had ppl advising me to join up with a band, they say you learn a lot that way too. But I don't feel ready for a band at all yet.

Recording your sessions is a huge help. That riff where you just knew you were Clapton just may prove to be not so on playback. But, you will learn what you do well and what you don't. I also play with several backing tracks. I record those a lot because I like to work on different solo improv's for each track, and it's soooo easy to forget what you did that sounded good (or bad).

Over the past year, as I've learned to do more things, I find myself playing rather than practicing and learning, so I'm in the early stages of structuring my sessions a bit more. You know, five minutes finger warmup, 10 minutes on a scale or two, 30 minutes on new stuff, 15 on theory/reading music/etc. Then comes the fun.

Learning to read music was a big improvement for me. Also recording some of my practice sessions. Sometimes I can't hear the mistakes or timing of what I'm playing but the recorder does'n't lie.

Yes, YES! Recording not only your practice, but a live gig, will show you things you hadn't

imagined (or, probably didn't want to imagine, either..LOL). But, it's crucial, IMHO...to do that,

at least now and then. Besides, with "Live" gigs, you can't always tell how things are sounding,

to the audience/dancers, etc...when you're on stage. You may hear your own mistakes, but

maybe not some others. And, in all fairness, you can be (sometimes) quite be surprised at how well

you do, too. So...recording and/or video taping is essential.

CB

The biggest hurdle I face is a lack of available time to play "at volume" sans headphones(which I truly despise).

When I'm home and feel like playing, my wife is invariably either asleep, or wanting to watch TV 20 feet from me.

When she's gone, i'm usually having to get ready for bed myself (my "day" job is 6:pm-6:am 15 nights a month)

edit: thats not to say I don't get to play at these times, the "quiet hours" are when I usually work out new licks acoustically, and can practice in total peace for 2 & 3 hrs at a time (as I did again tonight).

Aside from that, and my recording studio program (Roxio Music Lab Record Now-9)devouring almost all my computers memory

i'd be ready to go pro <grin>.

Archived