Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epiphone?

Magnus125

Hey.

For some weeks ago I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul standard. I didn't know so much about Epi's then, but now I have searched around and found a conclusion; I think my epi is fake.

I bought the guitar from a guy that imported guitars, from Ebay I guess.

I have written on other forums, but got told that this forum whould answear my questions.

Info:

Serialnumber: EE08026821

Pictures:

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14437797qx1.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=40376875uz0.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27889532zu2.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=72671530pr1.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=76112257jk4.jpg

Its kinda hard to see, but there is nothing written on the electronic.

Hello Magnus,

Welcome to the forum.

I am no expert on LPs by any means, but your guitar looks OK to me. In fact, it looks like you have a nice Les Paul on your hands there.

Many people on this forum are much better qualified than I to answer your question...but generally, it seems that the fake Epis can often be detected by a bulky plastic nut, cut very deep.

Here is a photo of a (definitely genuine) Epiphone Les Paul headstock, taken from the U.S. Sweetwater site:

08091503764-headstock-l.jpg

And here is yours, from the link you posted above:

27889532zu2.jpg

It's hard to tell for certain, owing to the angle at which the photographs were taken.

Some people might take issue with the angle of the Epiphone logo also. But it is really hard to tell...

Anyway, good luck...I really hope that it isn't a fake.

Its kinda hard to see' date=' but there is nothing written on the electronic.[/quote']

That would be suspicious. I just bought an EE as well. Besides the lettering on the pots, mine has brown caps and no bridge-grounding-wire.

I couldn't make it out from looking at the pic, but the metal outputplate as opposed to a plastic one would be incorrect as well.

With the guitar on a stand the volumepot should line up with it's tonepot and point north/up.

If the serial number isn't fake:

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone)' date=' China

February 2008

Production Number: 6821

Why do you think it's a fake?[/quote']

The first thing that hits me was that i could'nt register it at the epiphone warranty side, the "dealer" said.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

This is from a Custom epi, but I have'nt seen any standard guitar that have those volume and tune knots in the directions that I have :S

If Im correct, they should be in line with the screw on the pickguard.

The first thing that hits me was that i could'nt register it at the epiphone warranty side' date=' the "dealer" said.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

This is from a Custom epi, but I have'nt seen any standard guitar that have those volume and tune knots in the directions that I have :S

If Im correct, they should be in line with the screw on the pickguard.[/quote']

1) When did the dealer tell you that you couldn't register it at the Epiphone site?

2) Looking at the link, I don't think the logo on yours looks fake, however the angle of your pic makes it difficult to tell.

3) I take exception with the links comparison of the knob location. In the one they noted as fake, it is clear that the fake is angled differently than the one they say is legit.

I can't say one way or another, but if you really think it's a fake I would start digging into this dealers history. How did you find the dealer? Is this a website buy? Did you question the reason that this guitar could not be registered on the Epiphone site? Did you contact Gibson and tell them about this? I wouldn't think Gibson would no be interested in hearing about this.

Originally Posted by Magnus125 View Post

Hey.

For some weeks ago I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul standard. I didn't know so much about Epi's then, but now I have searched around and found a conclusion; I think my epi is fake.

I bought the guitar from a guy that imported guitars, from Ebay I guess.

I have written on other forums, but got told that this forum whould answear my questions.

Info:

Serialnumber: EE08026821

Pictures:

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 14437797qx1.jpg

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 40376875uz0.jpg

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 27889532zu2.jpg

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 72671530pr1.jpg

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 76112257jk4.jpg

Its kinda hard to see, but there is nothing written on the electronic.

(copied from epi forum)

Sorry to say it' date=' its fake.[/quote']

From My Les Paul forum.

Magnus,

Suspect at best.

Body- wrong angle on volumn controls

Headstock- wrong angle on Epiphone, Dot over i (too far up), L in Les paul (starts too far up headstock),

Top screw on TRC starts below E tuners (on ones I've seen) yours looks like it is too tall

Lettering on TRC (could be the photo) looks too thick.

Distance between kidney tuning heads not the same (compare E and A tuning heads on photo Leicester provided)

Back- screw holes for cover plate no where near center, never seen that type of pot, or wire set up, All pots I have seen in Epi LPs are marked Alpha (2-Alpha, B500k....2- Alpha, A500k)

All of the above is pure speculation on what I have observed on my own standard (purchased from authorized dealer)... and pictures I have seen......Hope I am wrong.

Sorry Magnus, that's an obvious fake.

Knob alignment is way off.

The control cavity, wiring, and pots not correct for a 2008 QingDao, real Epi Qingdao would have the white plastic quick-connector, pots would be stamped "Alpha" - a real Epi would have a much neater cavity.

Most of the fake Epis use an EE serial number that is "good" in that it exists in the serial number lookup databases.

To those in the know - wouldn't Gibson/Epiphone be interested in knowing about a dealer that is selling fake Gibson or Epiphone guitars? Hell, Gibson went after many for copying the LP (Ibanez being one of them) why wouldn't they be even more interested in ones that are selling counterfeit LP's?

Sorry for you mate... but ya hope those idiots who sold you that FAKE die.(I would use the Bc Rich Warlock and stab them with it's neck :D and ya they are only good for that rather than playing lol )

It's actually bad to see some one getting ripped off.. now i've got to check my Epiphones too. but ya buddy better report this to Gibson/Epiphone and ya take some actions against your store who sold you that Fake.

Damn these Gibson and Epiphones clones are ripping people off everyday and they are seriously getting close to the real stuff. Some of the fake Gibsons/Epiphones look so real that it's only after very close inspection that you'd know that it's a fake. I mean you don't go to a store and say to take the Pot covers off, take the truss rod cover off and all that. but ya we must be really careful about it.

Has anyone thought that the points shown on the Epi and Gib's site to spot fake now no longer work .. some of course do but ... well I think that the fake manufactures use that same points to further enhance their fake to look like the real stuff. (Like now-a-days the Chinese Gib's no longer use three truss rod cover or have black paint where the pots are mounted and the electronics look clean)

Hope you didn't pay much though you should get a refund anyway if it's a reputable store.

If the dealer doesn't take it back (did you buy it on-line?), what are your impressions of the guitar? When these fakes show up from time to time, I wonder how well they are made. Certainly a fake Rolex (for $100) is MUCH worse than a real Rolex. How much worse are these guitars than a true, Chinese-made Epiphone Les Paul?

I have bought a few cheap Russian cameras that were knockoffs of Contax rangefinders. Their quality was very poor, but they did work. Knowing that they weren't actual Contaxes when I bought them, I didn't feel ripped off. If your "Epiphone" is decent looking and usable, I would just use it (if it isn't a bad player).

If the dealer doesn't take it back (did you buy it on-line?)' date=' what are your impressions of the guitar? When these fakes show up from time to time, I wonder how well they are made. Certainly a fake Rolex (for $100) is MUCH worse than a real Rolex. How much worse are these guitars than a true, Chinese-made Epiphone Les Paul?

I have bought a few cheap Russian cameras that were knockoffs of Contax rangefinders. Their quality was very poor, but they did work. Knowing that they weren't actual Contaxes when I bought them, I didn't feel ripped off. If your "Epiphone" is decent looking and usable, I would just use it (if it isn't a bad player).[/quote']

Sure the guitar could be fine playing but it'd really not feel right when you know that you've saved for this moment and end up in a fake. When ever you play that guitar you'll feel weird and mentally you'll think this is crap..or this doesn't sound like the real one even if it plays fine. It's for the satisfaction i guess. Now i guess... if you know that it's fake and buy it to try it out you wouldn't feel anything even if it plays worse cause you've been expecting it but when you expect something out of a original and find out it's fake psycologically it wont sound good to you even if it does sound good.

(well that's what I think)

Sure the guitar could be fine playing but it'd really not feel right when you know that you've saved for this moment and end up in a fake. When ever you play that guitar you'll feel weird and mentally you'll think this is crap..or this doesn't sound like the real one even if it plays fine. It's for the satisfaction i guess. Now i guess... if you know that it's fake and buy it to try it out you wouldn't feel anything even if it plays worse cause you've been expecting it but when you expect something out of a original and find out it's fake psycologically it wont sound good to you even if it does sound good.

(well that's what I think)

I understand your feelings. The dishonesty of the dealer in selling it to you is enough to ruin your month. There was a fellow in San Diego selling Gibson stuff grey market (no warranty) and he wasn't discounting a bit. But he wouldn't tell his customers that. He would just tell them that "guitars have no warranties".

it's not a fake;

I purchased am Epi LP in 1993 with same exact specs to the detail;

and i bought mine new way back from reputable retailer...

if u want pics of mine, just look at yours....

Dont stress man; stress if you paid 2 grand for a guitar and wonder if its fake; then u might have sleepless nights...

What kind of profit is a guy going to make on a fake Epi? Fitty Cents???? LOL

Life's to short; enjoy your guitar and rip away, BRO!!!

Archived