Gibson Brands Forums

Epi '56 Gold Top make over to a Deluxe

jcwillow777

I have had my GT for about a year now, and I love the guitar. I absolutely love the profile of the neck, but I have been having a real hard time warming up to the P-90s. Clean they sound great, but I rarely play clean. I use a lot of overdrive, compression and a boost, which really equates to a lot of noise for P-90s. But not any more.

I put in a set of Gibson Deluxe Mini-humbuckers tonight. I have really fallen in love with the sound of the minis since getting my AL-3100. Wow, what a difference. I had even thought of getting rid of my '56 GT, not any more. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but it isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

GibsonMinisFull1.jpg

GibsonMinisBody.jpg

Congrats' date=' JC...I have a '76 Gibson LP Deluxe, that I LOVE! I'm sure you'll enjoy that change, a LOT!

CB[/quote']

Back in the 70s when I was still drinking and doing drugs I totalled out my brother's car. So, to compensate and ease my conscience I bought him a Gibson LP Deluxe. It was a nice guitar. My brother sold it a long time ago and has regretted it ever since.

I have just sold my SG Classic for the same reason, I loved it at first but after a while the noise from the P-90s was anoying. I really like what you have done with your GT, the mini buckers on my Elitist Sherry are awesome, I have major gas for a 56 GT now!

P90's can be a pain if your amp or signal chain has no noise gate. A noise gate is a must with single coil pickups.

I think that single coil distortion is partially a developed taste. After all, thousands of players are doing some impressive single coil overdrive solos with Strats and other single coil pickups. Granted, the humbucker is a better, smoother pickup for overdrive, but the single coil can be overdriven to a nice level if your expectations aren't based on getting a humbucker sound.

If you are putting up with noise from P90's, go out and try a noise gate. I guarantee you that it will make the P90 guitar a lot more fun to play.

I have contemplated doing the same thing for quite awhile now but just can't pull the trigger on the '56. My bro has one & I think it's great.

With P-90s I notice a huge difference in tone between tube amps & solid state amps. Solid state sounds dull & lifeless whereas a tube amp brings out the very best in a P-90. I find this to be true with all P-90's, not just Epis.

My first LP was a '69 Deluxe. Played it hard for 3 years on the road & sold it for $225 and have been kicking myself ever since. I really want a guitar with minis. I will figure something out.

Cool! A Deluxe with the "Goof Rings!" (around the pickups)...those are kind of "rare," or at least way more so,

than the one's without them. And, P-90's are awesome pickups. It really just depends on one's preferences,

and style of music. There's no "bad" way to go, really...just different!

;>)

CB

Cool! A Deluxe with the "Goof Rings!" (around the pickups)...those are kind of "rare' date='" or at least way more so,

than the one's without them. And, P-90's are awesome pickups. It really just depends on one's preferences,

and style of music. There's no "bad" way to go, really...just different!

;>)

CB[/quote']

They may be rare, but I wish the rings weren't there. Oh well, it's a fantastic guitar. Got it in 1988 for $450.

I used it on a recording last night, and just had one of those moments where I thought to myself "Holy crap, this thing is like magic." Some snob out there probably will tell you "That was a bad era for Gibson," but you couldn't prove it by this guitar.

They may be rare' date=' but I wish the rings weren't there. Oh well, it's a fantastic guitar. Got it in 1988 for $450.

I used it on a recording last night, and just had one of those moments where I thought to myself "Holy crap, this thing is like magic." Some snob out there probably will tell you "That was a bad era for Gibson," but you couldn't prove it by this guitar.[/quote']

Well, Norlin Era Gibson's were a bit more "hit and miss," than previous, or current versions. I think what I

disliked about that era (visually) most, was the too often used "wide" headsocks! BUTT UGLY, but...fortunately for me, my LP's didn't have those, Thank God! BUT...that doesn't mean there weren't some great guitars made. I have 2, from that era, myself! The '76 Deluxe, and my '80 LP Custom! BOTH are awesome sounding and playing guitars, and have fit and finish second to none! I know, because I've compared them to older and newer models. Only obvious visable difference is the valute. Both are "heavy," I will admit. But...with the right strap, "no big deal!"

CB

Archived