Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphones Popularity

Just Strum

Nelson' date=' I give you a lot of credit for being knowledgeable about guitars and that includes the Epi and Gibson debate (a debate that can be applied to any two guitar makes thrown out for discussion). However, your people skills suck and because of that I find myself losing the meaning of what you obviously can truly offer the forum. Despite how that sounds, it is meant in a complementary way as it applies to your knowledge.

I don't have a Gibson (yet), but until then I like my Epi's. I don't know how they compare side by side with anything more than the other guitars I own. I find the epi's enjoyable and they get most of the playing time. I am a bedroom player, so fret ware is not high on my list of concerns. Being in a 10x10 room, the sound is important, but let's face it, I am only needing to please me.

So, I have found some of the information you have provided of value and worth remembering. I can even deal with your people skills (or lack of), but I would get far more from your comments if it was easier to cut through the bs that you seem to enjoy including.

Now, how you decide to respond is up to you, but this is truthfully a complement to your knowledge. Now shut up and give me info [img']http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/poke.gif[/img]

There is nothing wrong with an Epiphone guitar... you may not even require a Gibson for your needs...,...that isn't the point...it's the insecure jokers who perpetuate myth and falsehood to make themselves feel better because they don't own a Gibson or maybe they really can't handle owning an Epiphone...I don't know why people have to make up crap and it is total crap...and yes, I can be a complete asshole...but have you ever watched these clowns try to argue a point? it's always about my people skills...why is there a continuous Epiphone V. Gibson debate? because there are people too friggin' ignorant to grasp that there is a difference and the only ones who fail to see that difference are the delusional and hence we have this on-going debate...Charlie or Squirrely or whoever he is..would like to see me go away..well, I'd like to see the admins come back in here and make the rules stand which means no more Charlie Brown thinking he's a Beatle or posting any of the majority of his pointless posts ...hey, I admit I'm an asshole but it's just a conditioned response to this endless , ridiculous argument... and I will always truthfully to the best of my knowledge answer any question within the scope of my knowledge...and no, I'm not going to make up some sh!t about Epiphones being as good as or more popular than or whatever...I will say that Epiphones are a good value for the money, they are not Gibsons or even close to the level of Gibsons in materials, component parts or manufacture..the only sh!theads who believe that are the ones too insecure to handle the truth or ones who want to put on airs about having more than they have...that's a shame because there are so many level-headed Epiphone owners who know they didn't buy a Gibson but are completely content in knowing they bought a good value...it's a pity there are the insecure idiots who can't grasp reality. but oh, well.

Nelson

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson, if you are nice, Marx might share his meds.

You don't need to make personal attacks. Maybe I have better meds than Marx, but I don't find anyone offensive here and I am having a hard time understanding why you have to make personal attacks. Your opinion about epi vs Gibson has merit and a constructive debate would bare fruit. I never got the opinion that CB or anyone thinks Epi is better than gibson, but there are many that feel that Epi is a better value. That is a personal view and it also holds merit, but again it's an individual thing.

This is an epi forum, so you are going to have people that feel strongly about their Epi's. Again, I think you have too much to offer to have it lost in your delivery. Just my opinion, but I guess I am entitled to that.

BTW, I bought a combo set (guitar and amp) at Best Buy and it's ten times better than any Gibson I've played and it only cost me $110. :-

Again, i must point out that this thread was regarding the popularity of Epiphone guitars amongst Indie bands. It had nothing to do with them thinking Epi's were better than Gibson or any other make.

The discussion was fine even if it did go OT.

I'm not asking for a truce, but seriously can we get to a conversation that discusses ones opinion about the guitar (any guitar) and drop the attacks. IMO, there is a lot of good information being offered, let the person on the receiving end decide who they agree with.

So, can we agree on no personal attacks so we don't get this thread and others shutdown.

If the intent is to shutdown the threads, than I lose respect for those that choose to do that. Although my respect isn't worth ****.

Nelson' date=' if you are nice, Marx might share his meds.

You don't need to make personal attacks. Maybe I have better meds than Marx, but I don't find anyone offensive here and I am having a hard time understanding why you have to make personal attacks. Your opinion about epi vs Gibson has merit and a constructive debate would bare fruit. I never got the opinion that CB or anyone thinks Epi is better than gibson, but there are many that feel that Epi is a better value. That is a personal view and it also holds merit, but again it's an individual thing.

This is an epi forum, so you are going to have people that feel strongly about their Epi's. Again, I think you have too much to offer to have it lost in your delivery. Just my opinion, but I guess I am entitled to that.

BTW, I bought a combo set (guitar and amp) at Best Buy and it's ten times better than any Gibson I've played and it only cost me $110. :^o [/quote']

No, the CB thing and the Epi V Gibson thing are two different issues..my attacks that were remotely personal were reciprocal not pre-emptive.and the two issues are separate. and I probably owe Charlie an apology because it all kind of got snowballed and it just somehow got tangled together...we'll see how it plays out.....don't laugh...in Michigan we have a chain called Meijers which is like Target meets Wal*Mart but priced like Sears...and they have a Gibson (hahahahaha-talk about exploiting names lol) Maestro acoustic for a hunnert bucks that I can't put down when I go there...talk about flukes...this thing plays like a dream and sounds damned good...I don't even think it was made in China...Bangladesh or the Sudan or somewhere..if only I could bring myself to take it up to the checkout..and a similar acoustic I saw at Target was pathetic so this one is unique...gotta go there tonight for cat food...MUST RESIST !

Nelson

...I don't even think it was made in China...Bangladesh or the Sudan or somewhere..if only I could bring myself to take it up to the checkout..and a similar acoustic I saw at Target was pathetic so this one is unique...gotta go there tonight for cat food...MUST RESIST !

Nelson

Pay some kid $5.00 to take it through for you and meet you in the parking lot. That way no one will tease you. Well, except for us because we wouldn't miss the opportunity to jump all over your a$$ on that one.

Wow! A lot of diatribe over fret wire! This is fascinating as watching hair grow. I readily concede that quality of fret wire and other components would be less than on a higher end guitar, whether it is a Gibson or something else. After all, my Dot cost $300 new. I really don't care too much. If it needs a fret job it will get one. It doesn't matter to me that it isn't an 'original' Epiphone.

So what? Not all Gibsons are or were well made. There were years when the product quality sucked. That was true of Fender as well.

Talk about a tempest in a teacup.

Again' date=' i must point out that this thread was regarding the popularity of Epiphone guitars amongst Indie bands.[/quote']

And give Nelson credit here for inadvertently or not providing the #1 answer: Value. Nelson said, "...there are so many level-headed Epiphone owners who know they didn't buy a Gibson but are completely content in knowing they bought a good value...."

Indie bands members are overwhelmingly young, undiscovered, and hence broke. They seek VALUE on a tight budget to take them to a successful music career. Regular Epiphones give great Gibsonesque playability for relatively small investment. Elitists give even greater value and in some cases are on-par w/Gibson.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Pay some kid $5.00 to take it through for you and meet you in the parking lot. That way no one will tease you. Well' date=' except for us because we wouldn't miss the opportunity to jump all over your a$$ on that one.[/quote']

I am and always have been more of an acoustic guy.. I have Martins and Gibsons and a Huss and Dalton and a vintage Epiphone Texan and all kinds of goodies...but...and don't you tell a soul because I'll deny it...last year I picked up a Tacoma PM-20 Parlour guitar at a guitar show for like five hundred bucks. with the intention of keeping it at my work office...that was in June of '07...since that time I can't remember when I played any of my other acoustics and it never made it to my office...so, I'm not a snob about how much things cost..when it's a bargain and a great guitar I'm all about it...and anyone who wants a great (in some aspects-though the old Tacoma finishes suck and mine is no exception) acoustic for cheap...check out the old round hole Tacomas but you'd better hurry because they stopped making them a couple of years ago and now that factory is pumping out USA Guilds...

I've since given it away but a few years back I was owed some money by Music Go 'Round and took a really cheap Korean JB Player jumbo for it ($85) and with a set up and sanding all the art work off the front it ended up a decent guitar..not fabulous but the guy I gave it to (A semi-homeless guy with some drug problems that I felt sorry for who busks at the local flea market in summer) still has it and still uses it and it's kept him in food (or drugs-though I'd rather not think that) with what he's earned with it... he once told me that he made over three hundred bucks one weekend when the Detroit Dream Cruise was going on. and could always count on fifty bucks a day busking on an ordinary weekend day at the flea market or art festivals....I never made three hundred bucks in a weekend in my life playing music... Doesn't have to be expensive to be of good use or profitable. I just don't want to hear how something is what it isn't.

Nelson

I am and always have been more of an acoustic guy.. I have Martins and Gibsons and a Huss and Dalton and a vintage Epiphone Texan and all kinds of goodies...but...and don't you tell a soul because I'll deny it...last year I picked up a Tacoma PM-20 Parlour guitar at a guitar show for like five hundred bucks. with the intention of keeping it at my work office...that was in June of '07...since that time I can't remember when I played any of my other acoustics and it never made it to my office...so' date=' I'm not a snob about how much things cost..when it's a bargain and a great guitar I'm all about it...and anyone who wants a great (in [i']some[/i] aspects-though the old Tacoma finishes suck and mine is no exception) acoustic for cheap...check out the old round hole Tacomas but you'd better hurry because they stopped making them a couple of years ago and now that factory is pumping out USA Guilds...

I've since given it away but a few years back I was owed some money by Music Go 'Round and took a really cheap Korean JB Player jumbo for it ($85) and with a set up and sanding all the art work off the front it ended up a decent guitar..not fabulous but the guy I gave it to (A semi-homeless guy with some drug problems that I felt sorry for who busks at the local flea market in summer) still has it and still uses it and it's kept him in food (or drugs-though I'd rather not think that) with what he's earned with it... he once told me that he made over three hundred bucks one weekend when the Detroit Dream Cruise was going on. and could always count on fifty bucks a day busking on an ordinary weekend day at the flea market or art festivals....I never made three hundred bucks in a weekend in my life playing music... Doesn't have to be expensive to be of good use or profitable. I just don't want to hear how something is what it isn't.

Nelson

In the last 4 years 90% of my playing has been on my 1939 L50. Not a guitar held in high esteem, but it suits me well. Perhaps it's all the visits from the the local law that have toned down my electric playing.:^o

And give Nelson credit here for inadvertently or not providing the #1 answer: Value. Nelson said' date=' "...there are so many level-headed Epiphone owners who know they didn't buy a Gibson but are completely content in knowing they bought a good value...."

Indie bands members are overwhelmingly young, undiscovered, and hence broke. They seek VALUE on a tight budget to take them to a successful music career. Regular Epiphones give great Gibsonesque playability for relatively small investment. Elitists give even greater value and in some cases are on-par w/Gibson.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Not inadvertent at all..Epiphones are great values...maybe the best value in their price ranges of any guitar brand..no question at all about that. I don't have a problem with Epiphones except that they're made in China and for moral and political reasons I cannot go along with that...what I have a problem with is someone telling me how they're on an equal footing materially with a Gibson on a one to one, direct comparison basis...and I don't happen to think Gibson are very good values... far too over-priced for what they are so perhaps as a value Epiphones do have an edge...you get what you pay for in this life but I'm not saying that you don't sometimes pay more than what you have to ...this is more true with a Gibson than an Epiphone for the most part...don't think for one second that I'm intoxicated with Gibsons...the last new Gibson I bought was in 1999..an SJ-200...$2500...within a month half the flowers on the pickguard had worn off and the headstock was crazing where they inserted the machine head grommets too tightly and split the finish...sounds like a grand piano...looks like crap...that was the last new Gibson I bought and I have no plans for any other..no, I have far more criticism for Gibson than Epiphone...

Nelson

Not inadvertent at all..Epiphones are great values...maybe the best value in their price ranges of any guitar brand..no question at all about that. I don't have a problem with Epiphones except that they're made in China and for moral and political reasons I cannot go along with that...what I have a problem with is someone telling me how they're on an equal footing materially with a Gibson on a one to one' date=' direct comparison basis...and I don't happen to think Gibson are very good [i']values[/i]... far too over-priced for what they are so perhaps as a value Epiphones do have an edge...you get what you pay for in this life but I'm not saying that you don't sometimes pay more than what you have to ...this is more true with a Gibson than an Epiphone for the most part...don't think for one second that I'm intoxicated with Gibsons...the last new Gibson I bought was in 1999..an SJ-200...$2500...within a month half the flowers on the pickguard had worn off and the headstock was crazing where they inserted the machine head grommets too tightly and split the finish...sounds like a grand piano...looks like crap...that was the last new Gibson I bought and I have no plans for any other..no, I have far more criticism for Gibson than Epiphone...

Nelson

Now this is what I like to hear...an opinion, without the bile. ;>) I can pretty much totally agree, with all..

(except the J-200 part, as I don't own one).

CB

Now this is what I like to hear...an opinion' date=' without the bile. ;>) I can pretty much totally agree, with all..

(except the J-200 part, as I don't own one).

CB [/quote']Bile is a part of life, you seek a sterile, non passionate reply which IMO is far worse than a real life this is me reply. We are who we are.

To seek to oppress ones own emotional disposition is probably the biggest error of all on a forum. Obviously one needs to keep "in check" but the minor flare ups here are far form over the top serious issues. I question the strength of mind of the folks that are doing the complaining right now. They in reality are the ones who need to "grow up".

Bile is a part of life' date=' you seek a sterile, non passionate reply which IMO is far worse than a real life this is me reply. We are who we are.

To seek to oppress ones own emotional disposition is probably the biggest error of all on a forum. Obviously one needs to keep "in check" but the minor flare ups here are far form over the top serious issues. I question the strength of mind of the folks that are doing the complaining right now. They in reality are the ones who need to "grow up".[/quote']

Stop deciding how "I" am, or anyone else is, on this forum...

You don't know me, so it's conjecture, at best! I just don't think we have to have

"bile" or all this confrontation, as often as it seems to happen, especially lately...that's all. Don't say I have no passion, or need to "Grow up!" You're not in any postion, to make that determination. You ARE entitled to your

opinion, no matter how in error it may be, however.

CB

Stop deciding how "I" am' date=' or anyone else is, on this forum...

You don't know me, so it's conjecture, at best! I just don't think we have to have

"bile" or all this confrontation, as often as it seems to happen, especially lately...that's all. Don't say I have no passion, or need to "Grow up!" You're not in any postion, to make that determination. You ARE entitled to your

opinion, no matter how in error it may be, however.

CB [/quote']What are you babbling about?

You show your true colors when you say:

"entitled to your opinion, no matter how in error it may be, however."

IF in reality you somehow actually knew what an opinion was you'd have enough smarts to know opinions are not "wrong/right".

You just proved my point. Thank Q very much.

What are you babbling about?

You show your true colors when you say:

"entitled to your opinion' date=' no matter how in error it may be, however."

IF in reality you somehow actually knew what an opinion was you'd have enough smarts to know opinions are not "wrong/right".

You just proved my point. Thank Q very much.

[/quote']

LOL! Whatever!! Glad I could be of some use to you!

CB

Archived