Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphones Popularity

Just Strum

If your Epi looks like a Gibson, sounds like a Gibson, and feels like a Gibson - then it's a Gibson.

Taken from a Tom Waits rant in between songs regarding how a mag noted he had on a pretty ragged suit, but was sporting a $3,000 Rolex. He holds up his wrist to the crowd and says $9.99 at CVS and says - "If it looks like a Rolex, than it is."

If you enjoy your guitar and feel like it is close to or just as good as a Gibson, than it is.

Marx, stop egging them on.poke.gif

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys says to me.

I see you're dating my old girlfriend.

How do you like seconds?

I says.

pretty good once I got by the used part.

TWANG

You are aware that the "sloppy seconds" comment is going to get you a suspension for six games....jus' sayin'

...gotta go...I'm on E Bay bidding for the Illinois Senate seat....gotta love the entrepreneur spirit of us Democrats..

Nelson

You are aware that the "sloppy seconds" comment is going to get you a suspension for six games....jus' sayin'

...gotta go...I'm on E Bay bidding for the Illinois Senate seat....gotta love the entrepreneur spirit of us Democrats..

Nelson

Watch those last minute bidders, they can be real sly.:-({|=

Guest alanhindle
Continue on guessing...someday you might actually be right. The odds are with you.

You seem to be talking out loud to yourself and not the person in the quotes with your one line responses, seeming somehow outside of the conversation that is actually going on. Do you wave your cigar and wiggle your eyebrows as you do this?

You seem to be talking out loud to yourself and not the person in the quotes with your one line responses' date=' seeming somehow outside of the conversation that is actually going on. Do you wave your cigar and wiggle your eyebrows as you do this? [/quote']It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

what years are you talking about for the Epi's? real epi's= ? and crappy imports= ?

"Real Epis"- 1928-1952

"Sorta Epis"- 1952-1956 (Guilds built during this time frame are closer to "Real Epis" than the "Sorta Epis"

"Gibson Epis"-1957-1970 (These aren't Epiphones....these are Gibsons)

"Not even close Epis"- 1971-1983 (Not talking about limited distributions Matsumoku-made Epiphones of 1975-1986 or the Terada-made 1987-1998 models-which are "Vaguely Epis")

"Henry J's Let's Make a Buck While We Build Asia's Economy Epis"- 1987-Present

"The Japanese Gretsch In Epi Clothing Epi's (a/k/a The Elitists/USA Series)"- 1999-Present (?)

There's your time table for the various Epiphones.

Nelson

"Famishius vulgaris ingeniusi"

I really like that. You're alright.

I'll see if I can get you into the women haters club.

If nothing else I'll get you a 10% discount at ACME. O:)

When in doubt ....build a club house, put on a show and hope Alfalfa's in good voice that day...

Nelson

"Real Epis"- 1928-1952

"Sorta Epis"- 1952-1956 (Guilds built during this time frame are closer to "Real Epis" than the "Sorta Epis"

"Gibson Epis"-1957-1970 (These aren't Epiphones....these are Gibsons)

"Not even close Epis"- 1971-1983 (Not talking about limited distributions Matsumoku-made Epiphones of 1975-1986 or the Terada-made 1987-1998 models-which are "Vaguely Epis")

"Henry J's Let's Make a Buck While We Build Asia's Economy Epis"- 1987-Present

"The Japanese Gretsch In Epi Clothing Epi's (a/k/a The Elitists/USA Series)"- 1999-Present (?)

There's your time table for the various Epiphones.

Nelson

Here we go with sound logic and reasoning.

Just when I was getting warmed up too... (sulk)

I think they are all epis whether you two crackpots think so or not.

but keep goosing each other' date=' it's cute.

*G*

TWANG[/quote']

Not as cute as listening to you for the past ten years or so try to turn your Samick into an Epiphone and then fawning over how great Epiphones are....maybe someday you'll actually own an Epiphone and won't that be something ? <G>..but as yet, not even close....and of course, you'd think they were all Epiphones...you own one of the ones that is in name only...but it's still a nice Samick..<G>

Nelson

Well, thank you for the most entertaining thread..... that I have read.....in a long time......I was starting to get bored with all the helpfull advice and nice polite people.....now....I can see that there is so much more to this FORUM.......keep up the inane bickering ....I find all this posturing funny.

Not as cute as listening to you for the past ten years or so try to turn your Samick into an Epiphone and then fawning over how great Epiphones are....maybe someday you'll actually own an Epiphone and won't that be something ? <G>..but as yet' date=' not even close....and of course, [i']you'd[/i] think they were all Epiphones...you own one of the ones that is in name only...but it's still a nice Samick..<G>

Nelson

Somebody needs to get ahold of Jim Rosenberg & let him know he doesn't have a clue about what's going on with his company. This Nelson dude has all the answers. The rest of us are merely guests in his world. As a matter of fact, we really should tell Jim to change the name of the forum to the 'Samick forum' since Lord Nelson has so decreed.

Starting today it's important for the rest of us to understand that we're playing Samicks, not Epis. Especially you guys with Chinese-made Epis-er, I mean-Samicks (pardon me)!

It sounds like good weed, though, doesn't it?

Somebody needs to get ahold of Jim Rosenberg & let him know he doesn't have a clue about what's going on with his company. This Nelson dude has all the answers. The rest of us are merely guests in his world. As a matter of fact' date=' we really should tell Jim to change the name of the forum to the 'Samick forum' since Lord Nelson has so decreed.

Starting today it's important for the rest of us to understand that we're playing Samicks, not Epis. Especially you guys with Chinese-made Epis-er, I mean-Samicks (pardon me)!

It sounds like good weed, though, doesn't it? [/quote']

So....tell me...beyond the bought and paid for name on the headstock what connection does any modern Epiphone have with the original pre-1957 Epiphones or even the Gibson-made Epiphone which they vainly attempt to emulate? Different materials, different finishes, different hardware, different electronics different specs, different country of origin (it only doesn't matter to those who don't want it to matter)...Jim Rosenberg? He's not clue-less...he's a genius..he's sold a hell of a lot of people a delusion and they eat it right up...and the truly clue-less are those who buy into the abject stupidity of not being able to (or not be willing to) grasp that one product is made to sell on the basis of it superficially resembling the other product without any basis of comparison...but the marketing plans goes like this...If it looks enough like the high price spread and you validate it by slapping a recognizable name on it, they'll buy it...look how successful Wal* Mart has been at selling Chinese crap with familiar names to a bunch of stupid rednecks who'll gladly take a house-load of cheap sh!t because it makes them feel affluent while having no actual prosperity...I guess you still haven't grasped that you're being played for a fool if you think that Gibson doesn't know exactly what they're selling you when you buy an Epiphone... you believe that there isn't a substantial difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone...you think you're getting a bargain...No, Jim Rosenberg has an advanced degree in selling dreams to dreamers and he knows exactly what the market will bear and how to draw in the suckers...the ones who want to eat steak and pay for burger....Make fun of me all you want but we both know I'm right don't we?...and even if you don't think I'm right...I know I am...sucker.

Nelson

Archived