Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for Epi Les Paul or SG??

BlueLesPaul2006

I voted for Gibsons. I have a gold top Gibson LP Classic and the stock ceramics that I at first hated but now actually sound pretty nice after a little work. I added chrome covers and adjusted them farther from the strings and they've made the guitar much more versatile for classic rock, blues, etc. without being overly bright. The stock pickups in my Chinese Epi Dot are OK. I like them as individual pickups, but they are not well balanced at all. As many have stated before, I have the usual muddy, boomy neck P/U and the overly bright, brittle bridge P/U issue. I also have had a few Duncan pickups in some other guitars. I've always been a fan of the JB. Warm, punchy with good note clarity.

I've done a fair amount of pickup swapping but have found that I'm completely satisfied with the stock pups in my latest 2 Epi purchases, the Dot Studio, and the Riviera P93. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm very happy with the amp I have now, and can dial in the tone I'm looking for.

ya i would go with Seymour Duncan or the Gibsons. the stock pups are great too but mine came a bit crappy for some reason... lots of feed back i thought it was me getting close to the amp but found out it was the stock pups. ill change it soon .. cant think of what to get Gibson or Seymour ?? ya i'd go with mmmm oh what the heck ...:-({|= confused ](*,)

When swapping out p-ups on my Epis' date=' I usually turn to S.D. for replacements. :-({|=

My Classic Plus Gold Top sports the JB/Jazz set; while my Honeyburst Plain Top sports a set of 59s.

[/quote']

I also have a honeyburst plain top with a pair of '59s in it, best sounding set I've tried! I've also had the Jazz/JB combo in a few Epis, that's decent too. The '59s are a little fuller sounding, IMO. I'm running into a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster, which makes a difference. If you're using a lower gain amp, the Jazz/JB combo may be better for you. Depends on what you're going for. If you're using a Line 6 or other modeling amp, the stock pickups are more than sufficient... it's all a matter of preference, really.

I just put a used set of Burstbuckers (a 1 at the neck and a 2 at the bridge) in my fake Gibson, but I haven't had a chance to run it through the Mesa yet... I'll let you know how that sounds in comparison.

Also, I had a Mean 90 in the bridge of the fake when I got it... it sounded really good, but wasn't properly grounded, so I had some wierd hum issues. Properly wired, it would be a great pickup, I'm sure. I'm going to drop that in my Samick LP copy to see if I like it better than the Dimebucker that came with. The Dimebucker is just way too hot for my taste, all you hear is pickup.

*EDIT* - For what it's worth, I put the stock bridge Epi pickup from my Les Paul Baritone and one of the stock neck pickups from one of my Epi Standards in an old beat up Squier Bullet Strat (with a hard tail bridge), and it actually sounds really good, considering what it is. Sounds a little brighter than a Paul, but way meatier than a strat should sound. I don't use it often because of tuning issues, but if I ever swapped out the tuners, I would probably use it on stage at a gig.

I tried the GFS Vintage 59s, Dream 180s, and Fat Pats in my Epi LP Studio. All were an improvement over the muddy stock pups. The 59s had a good bottom and high end but seemed to scoop the mids a bit. The 180s were to bright and jangley but may be good on a semi hollow body. I settled on the Fat Pats which have a good balance over all strings. Since the Fats are hotter winds (10K neck, 14K bridge) they're not bad even when coil split.

As a budget upgrade I'm happy with the improvement over the stock pups. IMHO the GFS pups I tried have a sound of their own, good but not neccessarily authentic. If your after a true LP sound (whatever that is) I think you'll need to spend a lot more.

Archived