Gibson Brands Forums

Weird SG G-400 Pickguard on a brand new guitar

luizhmax

hi, everyone. I've just got a brand new SG G-400 Cherry and I've noticed that it seems to come with some kind of protective plastic sheet on top of the pickguard but I'm not sure. The same on the back, at the wiring cover. It looks like it is but then I look closely and it's not that clear... it might be just that the pickguard and the cover are not that well done and look really rough and not well done... I would expect them to be more polished... but they look pretty rough actually. What do you think? For those of you SG G-400 owners... do you remember of a plastic sheet on top of the pickguard or not? thanks.

It reminds me of a friends house when I was younger and his parents had plastic on all the furniture and plastic runners on sections of the carpeting.

I just gotta ask - were they Italian or Jewish?

Kinda like the joke:

How do you know that flamingoes moved in next door?

Plastic Italians on the lawn.

Hahaha ...... same here ...(MANY years back - my aunt s both had that stuff at their houses..... strnge old biddies, they were:-k ) and, to stay on topic, my LP came with it on the pg, but I don't recall it on the backplates ..... could've been and I just forgot...dunno...well, at least the plastic covering on the pups is easily noticeable ...

A lot of new guitars also have it on the pickguard too. Take it all off. It reminds me of a friends house when I was younger and his parents had plastic on all the furniture and plastic runners on sections of the carpeting.

I just gotta ask - were they Italian or Jewish?

Kinda like the joke:

How do you know that flamingoes moved in next door?

Plastic Italians on the lawn.

I don't know what nationality or faith he was. His last name was Winchester and his running joke was he was a son of a gun. The thing I remember most was you never wanted to sit on their furniture in the summer, it would be fall before you finally would pry yourself loose.

I b1tch about OT and look what I go and do - oh well, it is about protective plastic, let's just not stray into protective rubber.

My '99 tele still had it on when I got it this year... odd that it would make it almost ten years without getting removed..

I know a guy that got and Itouch and won't take off the plastic so he won't scratch it. So know its almost impossible to see or use the touch screen on it. The protective covering did more bad than good... Go figure.

GC

LOL ... I still haven't taken it off the pearl pickguard on my '72 Tele Thinline! I know, I know ... I'll get around to it. Oh ... the SG Prophecy GX I just picked up had some on the jack plate. I guess since there's no pickguard on that guitar, they had to give the "plastic protective film installers" something to do. Those Chinese unions, ya know!

Ahhh ... memories! There's nothing quiet like sitting on a plastic covered couch on a hot summer's day while wearing shorts! I can still hear the Rrrrripping sound!

MIDI

I hate the covering on Strats... since you have to take the knobs off (and even loosen the pots) in order to completely remove it.

The only time it ever goes away completely is if you take the pickguard off and can get under the screws.

I purchased a Squier Deluxe and had to went through the same thing - that was the one that had it on the pups too.

On Fender's official site, there is a section where you can D/L desktop images of their guitars. Really beautiful studio shots ... obviously professionally done. In one particularly nice close-up image of a Deluxe Telecaster, what do you think you see around the screws? Right ... tiny little shreds of plastic! I guess they didn't feel like screwing with it either!

MIDI

I have a Strat I've had for nearly four years' date=' and it still doesn't have all the plastic off of it. The only reason my newer Strat does is because I completely re-built it a few weeks ago.[/quote']

Did you install new plastic on it in the process? If not, than is it really a complete rebuild?

Archived