Gibson Brands Forums

Removing "Hand Crafted In China" sticker from new Dot

Telechamp

I was trying to peel off and remove the famous "Hand Crafted In China" sticker from the back of the neck of my new Dot. I tried warm water and a soft cloth, but no go - still left the rough glued remains of the paper.. Obviously, I would really hate to damage the finish trying to get the remaining glue off. Anybody have any suggestions on what might work but not harm the finish?

Thanx!

Anything oil based' date=' including mayonnaise, will help to float the adhesive. If you use WD40 use soap and water afterwards to make sure the solvents are cleaned up. They might not be good for your finish.[/quote']

Good idea - Thanks! Will definitely so the follow-up cleaning w/ soap and water..

Thanks all, for the tips in removing the "Made In China" tag sticker glue...

As I said, I used Goo Gone and it seemed to work - I think I may have lucked out because the finish looks fine, and doesn't appear to be damaged by the Goo Gone.. I probably should have used the WD-40 but maybe I dodged a bullet with the GG (knock on wood...)

Goo Gone scares me. It's a plastic solvent. Might take off the polyurethane finish. WD-40's a bit milder' date=' but DEFINITELY wash it off well.[/quote']

Well, I used the Goo Gone before I read your post, Stig.. However, it seemed to take the glue off without too much effort. Hopefully I won't regret it. The finish seems ok..... (for now?)

I think if the Goo Gone was gonna damage the finish it would have already done it, correct?.. I didn't use much Goo Gone - just a tiny amount.. And I washed all the Goo Gone off real well with a soft, damp rag with again, a tiny bit of soap on it..

Again, the Goo Gone took the glue off fast and really well, but if I had read your post earlier, I might not have used it... Hopefully all will be OK.... =D>

According to the manufacturer....

WD-40 FAQS (click)

Hmmm... Thanks for the WD-40 FAQ's Ron, but I just used the Goo Gone before I read this post of yours.... Probably would have usd the WD-40 instead if I had read your post earlier...

The Goo Gone seemed to work (I just used a little), and I don't see any damage to the neck, but hopefully, it will be OK...

{Fingers crossed...}

Using heat sounds like an intriguing idea for removing labels.

I wonder about when the label is on plastics.

There are many different adhesives used for labels' date=' some more permanent than others.

Heat works well for some but you gotta be careful, depending on what it's on.

Sometimes when a label comes off pretty well but leaves a little adhesive behind, it

can be removed by dabbing at it with the label itself. WD-40 is still my fave and is

safe for most surfaces. Oh....and use a hair dryer, not a propane torch.default_eusa_wall.gif

"Handcrafted In China" = hahahahahahaha

Archived