Gibson Brands Forums

Help - I think the cold got to my new guitar

Macquarrie

I just received a Limited Edition Riviere via the U.S. Postal Service. The guitar came from California and arrived in Seattle during a huge snow storm with the temp dropping at night into the teens. When I opened the box the guitar was in, I thought it came with a case, it appeared to be fine. Later in the evening I started to notice where the the double cut out are it is beginning to get very rough, sandpapery of sorts. What do I need to do? Is there anyway to polish these spots out? Help! All advice is welcome. A little advice of my own, never vist ebay after a few glasses of wine - trust me on this one.

Thanks,

John

Did it come with a case?

The general rule is that you should leave a guitar for 24 hours when it goes through a major temperature change. If it's in a case, the temerature changes slowly, so if it was packaged in the 75-degree California weather, it may still be 40 in the case, even though the outside is 15.

Same goes in reverse - the guitar in the case needs to re-adjust to the warmth of your house.

Twenty-four hours is an awful long time to have a new guitar though.

Photos would help. Can't tell, by your description, if the area in question is just not "buffed out" well....or, if there's some finish checking going on? But "Nitro" paint is more likely to do that, than Poly. I'm assuming you mean the P-93 Riviera LE?...which has a "Poly" finish, not "Nitro."

Did you unpack the guitar when it was really cold? One should let it warm up, to room temp, before unpacking or taking it out of the case, just as a matter of habit/precaution...so the finish isn't subject to Rapid temp changes. Otherwise, it sounds like it might be just overspray that didn't get polished out??? Not sure...

CB

I just received a Limited Edition Riviere via the U.S. Postal Service. The guitar came from California and arrived in Seattle during a huge snow storm with the temp dropping at night into the teens. When I opened the box the guitar was in' date=' I thought it came with a case, it appeared to be fine. Later in the evening I started to notice where the the double cut out are it is beginning to get very rough, sandpapery of sorts. What do I need to do? Is there anyway to polish these spots out? Help! All advice is welcome. A little advice of my own, never vist ebay after a few glasses of wine - trust me on this one.

Thanks,

John[/quote']

Are you talking about the paint or the binding? It isn't likely that the cold would cause "roughing" of the finish. Can you post a pic? If it's the finish there isn't a whole lot you can do for it without ruining the gloss. Very very gentle rubbing with a rottonstone or pumice cream (mild abrasives) could smooth the finish but the poly gloss would be lost. I wouldn't use anything more abrasive than that stuff though. A woodworker's supply store would have a lot of polishing creams and rubs. Try StewMac as well.

It was about 25 degrees in Seattle when I unpacked the shipping box. I expected to see a case but it was shipped in the Epiphone box. I subsequently re read the description only to learn it did not mention a case only the box. I am a bit embarrassed to say I couldn't wait and did in fact take it out of the box and marvel at my new found wonder. I did not see or feel any rough spots at the time though.

The spots aren't really visible only a slight dullness in the area and the rough sandy feel. I know it a bit of over reacting but I paid more than I should have and have been suffering a bit of buyers remorse since completeing the order, and now to have the rough spots.

One other question is about tuning. Should I attempt to tune the guitar or wait a little while longer for the wood to acclimate?

Mac, i too had aliitle roughness around the bottom horn. i think it was over spray. I had it forst set-up at the local gc and then gave it a good polishing. Is seems to have really worked. i hope this help.

Did it come with a case?

The general rule is that you should leave a guitar for 24 hours when it goes through a major temperature change. If it's in a case' date=' the temerature changes slowly, so if it was packaged in the 75-degree California weather, it may still be 40 in the case, even though the outside is 15.

Same goes in reverse - the guitar in the case needs to re-adjust to the warmth of your house.

Twenty-four hours is an awful long time to have a new guitar though.[/quote']

You should have read the instructions that came with my Weber mandolin. You'd think I was thawing out Roger Marris. I had to sit and stare at the case for 6 hours for fear of cold shocking it.

Brad

I agree with you completely. The remorse was due solely to the amount paid after a few glasses of wine. The cosmetics are of no consequence. I was feeling pretty bad due to the total circumstance. I am learning to play so I can't really say much about the sound I'm making when it is plugged in other than what my wife has said, and I quote "wow, that's obnoxious!" It does sound good to me though!!

Mac,

If you use the 0000 steel wool and then polish with wax it may still leave hair line scratches in it. Maybe not, but if it does, or if you just want to play it safe, consider the Micro- Mesh products. Many places carry them now. Stew-Mac has a Micro-Mesh Finishing Abrasive kit for $44. My guess is you would only need the M-M Soft Touch Pads which are only $9. They are also good for pick guard and fret pollishing.

Congrats on the new guitar.

WE used to travel with all the guitars, mics, and people in a Chevy Suburban with a double axle trailer behind for the amps, drums, and other less temperature sensitive gear. Although we had few instances where it was so cold that guitars wouldn't stay in tune from cold exposure, there was always enough time from the car to load-in and setup that everything normalized before the first set.

I always wondered what kind of damage we were doing to speakers after traveling in 20 degree weather and then cranking 600 watt PA amps to the stacks. We never had a failure, although I did have one off center voice coil in an 8x12" guitar amp cab.

Archived