Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Question

Canine

I recently got me a little practice amp, but I do miss the tube sound of the big Marshall. So, I was thinking about the Valve Jr, it does seem good but I was told you can barely hear it.

So, my question is, is it loud enough?

It's only 5 watts, what can you expect! You can barely hear pitiful little things in the smallest of bedrooms. =D> So go on down to your local guitar store and crank one up to 11. I'm sure they won't mind it a bit after what they go through all day. =D>

Don't forget to bring your earplugs. And your wallet. O:)

Gil...

Indeed they do sound better after 15 minutes of warm up time. That's the nature of tubes.

And yes, 5 watt is amazingly loud. It'll keep up with a loud drummer, but you won't have any clean headroom at that level. For a venue louder than a typical church gig, just mic it through the PA like most folks.

Gil...

So' date=' I was thinking about the Valve Jr, it does seem good but I was told you can barely hear it.[/quote']

What a HOOT!

VJr.s gave rise to a cottage industry of new attenuator makers as about 1/2 of the new owners' next purchase is a power brake of some sort. This joke is partly on me b/c I was one of them. LOL

Ah but those days are long gone..., go on and let it rock 8-[

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Good, so I guess the Jr is not a bad investment. I was told that I should go with a Fender but hey, the price difference is amazing, for that I might as well stick to my Marshall! I posted here because there's also a couple reviews at the musiciansfriend site telling you the amp is crap, can't hear it, all that stuff... What a load of bull!

I don't know if I'd buy a Gibson amp, honest, for that price I'd go with Marshall again, but the Valve Jr is extremely appealing and I'm definitely getting one.

Thanks so much for the help, this thing was eating me alive, I really wanted the amp but was afraid to end up with a crappy amp. Wow, feel better already!

If you can only barely hear a valve jr .....you're freakin' deaf! It's half as loud as a 50 watt marshall 1987!

No kidding! I was playing a few weeks ago and my wife came back from walking the dog. She told me she could hear me playing about 3 houses down the street. VJr volume knob was on about 8 and my guitar on about 1.5 and the windows were closed!!!

Archived