Gibson Brands Forums

I might sound dumb but what's a ...

AyushPresley

kill switch that everyone talks about.. I have seen some in my store too.. haven't asked them though. always thought I don't need em tho i didn't know what it's used for.. I heard they could be installed easily replacing one of the pots ! Sounds Dumbo but hey I haven't got a clue what it does and what it's used for..

Google "Guitar Killswitch" and you'll get quite a bit of info. Basically, it's a temporary switch, installed in the signal chain, that kills the signal (to/from) the pickups. Some varieties could be used as "standby" switches, too...depending on what type switch was used.

CB

The switch turns the sound of the guitar on and off, so you can create effects as you play. The BFG LP guitar includes a kill switch in place of the regular pickup selector (now available next to the volume and tone controls)... It's supposed to be cool, but I think it's kind of useless... But again, this is a matter of taste and style so whatever rocks your world! =P~

Seems kind of pointless to me too. I don't particularly like the effect I've seen them create. I think it's would be more useful in a way to 'mute' the guitar if there was a particular part of a song where the vocalist was singing, with nobody playing, as a much quicker, smoother alternative to turning the volume right down, or muting the strings with your hand. I guess it could allow you to continue to fret the notes, but with no sound, so when you need to be playing again, you can do so quickly, and in time with other musicians. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for that though.

For someone like me who doesn't play with others, it certainly doesn't serve any real purpose.

Everyone has that effect built in to their dual pickup guitar. Turn the volume down on one pickup (not all the way off or neither will work). switch to the one that works, strike a chord, and then flip the pup selector back and forth. That's the kill switch sound.

I think I first heard it in "Spirit in the Sky", by someone named Greenbaum.

Archived