Gibson Brands Forums

gibson dark fire

wardog

ok, as i stated in another post by svet on is lack of gas over the winter. I am very much a gizmo lover. I checked out the dark fire like most of us here has done and was empressed with the use of tech to give the customer a very versitile instrument. i was also, very impressed by the picks. i mean the thing looks awesome.

Well, i had the fortune to gaze upon a dark fire up-close last tuesday and was jaw droping disappointed in the looks. The face design was much brighter red than pictured and the body was painted very poorly. It was not even on the sides and back of the guitar showing un-painted wood in small areas. It looked like it needed a good polishing to bring out some of the luster on the body. gc had it set up nicely, but, it looked-dare i say- ugly.

Besides it's lack in looks as depicted on the gibson lifestlye site; it breathe high-tech. The tuners where not as bulk as the first release robots guitars, and with a chambered body for acoustic option, it should make for a lighter guitar.

unfortunately, i did not get the opt to play the 3500 dollar monster. Did not ask too. but, doubt very much it would not have made me drool.

Anyone out there get a chance to check one out?

I was drooling over the robot guitar when it came out, but then I thought about how complex the guitar was be and how much it would cost to fix it!

Everything that's high-tech is very expensive to fix, and we all know technology becomes obsolete the day we buy the product.

i here u canine' date=' but u can upgrade the tuners and electronic kit on the first robots to that on the dark fire. i gibson promise it's robot owners. [/quote']

Sure you can, for a "nominal" fee. I doubt a hardware upgrade is considered warranty work.

I haven't checked one out up close, but it looked neat hanging on the wall. I'll have to check my couch cushions for an extra 4 grand in spare change... If I find it, I'll grab one... Otherwise it's not high on my list at the moment.

I do wish there was a way to bypass the automatic drop in output when you go to tuning mode. I'm sure there are a bunch of musical applications for morphing from one open tuning to another... Jimmy Page did some cool stuff with his trans-whatever bridge he had in his LP on the walking into clarksdale tour a while back. It's a shame the robot series automatically drops the output level when you're tuning. If not, that might make it worth picking up the wine red one at GC for like $1600.

I've been looking at the robots in my local shop.

I guess if you use a lot of different tunings it might be worth it.

I on the other hand, have trouble playing with one tuning, so it's not a good idea for me!

At least until I have the one figured out.

I second canine.. i drooled my self to that guitar but again thought of the cost to maintain it and if something got damaged it might cost heavy...then yesterday i checked out the dark fire it's not bad.. it's not bad at all.. but then the guys over at my guitar store told me that they are having a bit problems with lots of guitars with the switch not working properly..i thought naa !! i'd stick with the traditional ways.. well if you really ask me I like the traditional Guitars.. where you tune your guitar winding the machine heads rather than pressing a button.. and use various gadgets/Synths to make you guitar shout and not the computer.. well if i get one I'd surely keep it but i'd still love the traditional guitars...That's what Guitars are supposed to be I guess...

$3500 ?????? OMG !!!

I've not played one yet, but I HAVE played a VG Strat ($1700) for about 2 hrs.and am absolutely in awe of it.

I'm currently trying to save up for that(in Blizzard Pearl).........the DarkFire is gonna be hard pressed to beat it, but, if it does, I'll have to save longer & get it instead.

I saw the demo of that robot Strat and was impressed by how easy it was to use. I compared that to the robot LP that required you to press twice, then turn, then do 10 pushups, then turn again, then brew coffee, recite the pledge of allegiance, walk on your hands, and then click enter... lol

I see now that the Dark Fire is way faster on the tuning, but what about the different tones the Strat lets you get by just turning the knob? That was quite impressive.

Now, I have to say I ain't no fan of high-tech guitars or the entire software based thing. I tried to connect my LP to one of those computer amp simulators and it sounded ok with the clean channels, but I got an awful noise when I went dirty, not to mention that the entire thing sounded completely artificial and cold.

But I guess this is just a matter of taste, like all things music.

my local gc has a red and black for 1300. sg specials

Yeah, I was referring to the Les Paul model... I still can't get comfortable playing an SG. Shame, too... the price tag is far more digestable on the SG than any of the other models. I could probably talk myself into the explorer almost, but it's more than the Paul IIRC. :-#

I saw the demo of that robot Strat and was impressed by how easy it was to use. I compared that to the robot LP that required you to press twice' date=' then turn, then do 10 pushups, then turn again, then brew coffee, recite the pledge of allegiance, walk on your hands, and then click enter... lol

I see now that the Dark Fire is way faster on the tuning, but what about the different tones the Strat lets you get by just turning the knob? That was quite impressive.

[/quote']

And those diff. tones are so true to the origional, that unless you have a "robot ear" you'll think its real.......

The Tele tone sounds like a Tele, same for Humbuckers, and even the 12 string tone, The resonator tone is a tad off

but otherwise it rocks.

I'm definitely going to play a DarkFire though..........and MOST definitely the new Epi Apparition........but they've got a tough job to beat.

Now that's funny. The VG Stratocaster did nothing for me. I wasn't impressed by any of the sounds other than the straight strat vioce without any effects. Maybe it was the beat up GC demo I was playing ... or the amp (although is was a Fender), but the coil tap on two of my Epi's sound closer to a tele that that thing did (and the Epi's do a pretty fair job of sounding like a Gibson too! LOL).

MIDI

Archived