Gibson Brands Forums

Help choosing first epiphone (calling all g 400 deluxe owners)

metalfan99

hey guys, im in the market for my first epi, moving up from a crappy beginner guitar

i like playing rock and metal and the models for sale 2nd hand in my price range are:

SG 400 99 Korean Set neck Deluxe SG w/Flamed maple top

DSCN6962-MSS%208165.JPG

SG Limited Edition Custom Shop MIK 2006 with Bigsby

DSCN6555-MSS%208056.JPG

Les Paul 2001 Made in Czech Republic

DSCN5562-MSS%207789.JPG

any opinions appreciated

i love the SG with a Bigsby..and the Les paul too..really good choices metalfan...I'd say go with the SG it's got a tremolo and I guess you'll use a lot more..Les Paul is a good choice too.it has a unique color..infact I haven't seen that color..which ever you choose from those three guitars is a winner all the way..oh ya welcome to the forum..

Wow, those are three very nice guitars right there. I agree, whichever one you choose out of those three will be a brilliant choice. If it were me, I would go with the SG with the Bigsby because man is that a good looking guitar! But really, it's up to you to decide because only you can decide which is best for you. If possible, you should try them (or any similar guitars) before you buy them because you will then be able to make a more informed decision.

Either way, great choice!

The Les Paul .Is there a A Gray scale efffect on that picture cause the carpet on the othe rpics Anit the same So I would Imagine that the Les paul Anit that colour Maybe a Gold top?

No, the knobs are still in color, the finish is actually that color.

I'd choose the Les Paul then buy the knobs to match the gray (silver?) finish.

SG for (easier) upper fret access. Any of those guitars would be fine. But, if you lean more toward "Metal,"

maybe the stop tailpiece SG? The black one, with the Maestro is awesome looking, but if you don't use a

vibrato, you wouldn't need it, and it may(?) be harder to keep in tune. I, personally, have always loved the

look of the SG with the Maestro...but I don't play "Metal," either...and the Maestro is not really a "Metal"

vibrato system...not good for "dive bombing," etc. Anyway...just my 2-cent's worth.

CB

No' date=' the knobs are still in color, the finish is actually that color.

I'd choose the Les Paul then buy the knobs to match the gray (silver?) finish.[/quote']

I seen that But Look at the Knobs Just Under The one on the Left hand side U can see what appers to be a chip of white ?i think the knobs were highlighted

I seen that But Look at the Knobs Just Under The one on the Left hand side U can see what appers to be a chip of white ?i think the knobs were highlighted

ya .. good eyes buddy...I didn't see that before...after you said...i looked at the carpet and the guitar color and I think it's in the Gray scale mode too..i think it's white...

thx for the info guys

overall though is there gonna be much of a difference in the sound of the guitars or are they all similar?

also will they play metal/hard rock well or would it be better to go for something like an ibanez...

no no no !! go with these you won't regret buddy...go with any of these..all are Epiphones and they are one hell of an *** kicker...they more over have similar sound and fit for almost all the genres in the dictionary.

Guest alanhindle
thx for the info guys

overall though is there gonna be much of a difference in the sound of the guitars or are they all similar?

also will they play metal/hard rock well or would it be better to go for something like an ibanez...

Depends on who you want to cover. If you like bands like AC/DC' date=' Led Zep, Guns 'n' Roses and early Kiss then all of these guitars will be great. If you lean towards Metallica and thrash metal types of music then the higher gain required may mean you end up with muddiness with the pickups with any of these three guitars. Of course, you can change the pickups or buy an EQ pedal to sort this out.

I've never owned an Iba**z but I understand that, like Epiphone, they offer very good quality and consistency for your money. Iba**z may be better if you want to play very fast because they are likely to have very fat frets, and often 24 of them, not 22. You'll apparently get a very good tremelo if you go for one with an 'edge pro' or 'ZR' system, which are a pretty good alternative to a Floyd Rose. This video may may help you with trems:

I don't know much about Iba**z pickups though.

If you want to be a fast shredder rather than a classic heavy rock man then check this video out:

From the three you've shown us, I like the look of the G400 Deluxe, by the way. And I would say that an SG is slightly better for metal because of the fret access, the look and the fact that you can move around better (on a stage) with it. If you're relatively new to guitars, the vibriola type trem on the black SG may cause you a few problems with tuning stability and it's not for dive bombs as said above.

Alan

^ that was the description on the site, but i think you're correct

the thing is i like metallica, megadeth etc but i am no where near the level to play the faster stuff yet, i would like to get there but its gonna take a lot of time. I want something that will be easy to pick up and play but gives me a sound that i will be happy with and can practice all styles on.

also another point is that all these are 2nd hand' date=' but good condition or is it worth getting a new g-400 but made in china?[/quote']

Even though it's used, it really doesn't matter, well I guess it might save you bit on Setting up and things too..if it looks nice and plays swell then it really doesn't matter if it's used or not..btw those guitars look in mint condition..

Archived