Gibson Brands Forums

black beauty - advice request from a girl with no clue!

mangetout

Hi - I hope someone out there can help!!

My boyfriend is a big fan of the les paul black beauty.

His birthday is coming up, and I'd love to get him one, but with the gibson at £2500 approx, I think it's a bit out of my budget.

Is the epiphone version worth getting instead, or would it be better to wait a year or two for the real thing??

any advice would be great.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a birthday present i would give him the Epiphone.

For the money it's a very fine guitar and the Gibson isn't 5 times better imho.

You could try to get your fiends opinion in a unsuspecting way.

Good Luck' date='

Peter[/quote']

Thank you peter...asking friends sounds like a good plan actually.

will give it a go!!

That all depends. Yes the Gibson will be better, oh boy I'm opening a can of worms here. What does your boyfriend play now? If he is used to high end guitars he probably would not be happy with the Epi, but if he isn't, it might be what he is looking for. You could go fishing. Start up a conversation with him about guitars and have him explain to you the difference between the Epi and Gibson BB. Ask him if he thinks the Gibson is worth the extra money to him. I have several Epis and they are fine guitars, but I also have a Gibson Les Paul. I have to tell you there is a totally different feel from my Gibson LP than my Epi LP.

It could be that the Gibson is his Holy Grail. I'm QUITE sure that he'd LOVE any other guitar you'd buy for him. You could hit him with a "if you had X amount of pounds for a guitar which one would you buy?"

OR even better, walk into a music shop with him, say "Happy Birthday! You have X amount of pounds to spend on a guitar today!!!"

Or, if you want to surprise him AND he doesn't have one, you might consider an Epiphone Dot -VERY versatile guitar http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Electric-Guitar?sku=518250 .

YOU are an amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing girlfriend!!!

Is the epiphone version worth getting instead' date=' or would it be better to wait a year or two for the real thing??[/quote']

Well I'd sure rather have the Epi version while I was waiting that year or two. If he takes care of it it'll retain much of it's value which he can then put towards the Gibson version. (Or he may find that he no longer wants the Gibson version.)O:)

That all depends. Yes the Gibson will be better' date=' oh boy I'm opening a can of worms here. What does your boyfriend play now? If he is used to high end guitars he probably would not be happy with the Epi, but if he isn't, it might be what he is looking for. You could go fishing. Start up a conversation with him about guitars and have him explain to you the difference between the Epi and Gibson BB. Ask him if he thinks the Gibson is worth the extra money to him. I have several Epis and they are fine guitars, but I also have a Gibson Les Paul. I have to tell you there is a totally different feel from my Gibson LP than my Epi LP.[/quote']

he's def not used to high end guitars!!

This would be his first decent one...i have always said I'll get him a gibson one day, but he may have to wait a while so was thinking the epi would be a 'in the meantime' guitar.

thanks...I guess it's going to be a personal preference thing in the end!!

Does it have to be a surprise?

Does he have his heart set on a Gibson?

Do you want a new boyfriend?........All my old girlfriends ever gave me was grief.

I don't suppose it has to be a surprise...but it would be good.

the black beauty is his all time dream guitar...he's never really mentioned any others.

ha ha!!

It could be that the Gibson is his Holy Grail. I'm QUITE sure that he'd LOVE any other guitar you'd buy for him. You could hit him with a "if you had X amount of pounds for a guitar which one would you buy?"

OR even better' date=' walk into a music shop with him, say "Happy Birthday! You have X amount of pounds to spend on a guitar today!!!"

Or, if you want to surprise him AND he doesn't have one, you might consider an Epiphone Dot -VERY versatile guitar http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Electric-Guitar?sku=518250 .

YOU are an amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing girlfriend!!![/quote']

yeah - it is his all time dream guitar, and I will buy the real thing for him one day.

think I might take him on a tour of a few local guitar shops and try and suss him out a bit more.

Aw thanks!!

Guest alanhindle

Why specifically a Black Beauty? If he's not an advanced player, I would doubt the unusual pickup combination and switching options are what he seeks.

Does he have a favourite player who uses the Black Beauty? If so, get him the Epiphone version with the promise that if he gets good you'll buy him the real deal one day.

However, if he doesn't have a fave player who uses one and no other specific reason for liking it other than the wicked black and gold I would advise buying him a black Gibson Les Paul Studio with the gold pickups and hardware option (make sure you don't order the one with the chrome hardware by mistake). He'll be stoked that you've bought him a Gibson.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lespaul_studio99.htm

What's more it's only three or four hundred pounds more than the Epi as opposed to five times its price.

Alan

Then I would say go with the Epi BB. It is a nice guitar. Personally I find that the middle pickup gets in my way, many others don't. One thing I do know is that when I get my eye on a certain guitar, nothing else will do. The BB is a very sharp looking guitar. Add a gold Bigsby B70 and WOW, absolutely breath taking!

Epiphone makes some great great guitars. The Beatles used them extensively. I have a few Epiphones and they are all super great. My Epi SG copy of a '66 Gibson SG sounded better than five SG types I played, four other Epi's with the tear drop pickguard, and an inexpensive but brand new Gibson SG. The Epiphone '66 copy SG sounded BY FAR better than any of the other four and the build quality is superb. It is transparent cherry with glossy clear finish and all mahogany, neck and body.

I have two Epi Les Paul Standards, one is a super super beautiful amber flammed maple Plus Top, not a sunburst either. A really great guitar. These two LP's I put replacement pickups in: Seymour Duncan really nice, expensive ones and the tone was transformed into unbelievably good tone.

I would definitely suggest getting the Epiphone Black Beauty. It will probably be the best guitar by far that he owns and will be what he wants and you'll be able to surprise him and feel sure that he will be blown away by it. You could even buy the Epiphone and take it to a really good guitar repair shop around there and have them put on a Bigsby Tremolo bar, whammy bar bridge; as suggested above. That would give it more metallic mass and probably a better tone. That would be awesome and I don't think the Bigsby for the Black Beauty is very much money and installation would not be much but the result would be an incredible customized surprise that would super blow his mind.

I would hold my cards close and make it a big time surprise, but go with the Epiphone and have someone look at it to verify that it is a really nice individual guitar, someone like the store manager or someone that knows what to look for, but stick with "his dream guitar".

The coefficient of cool associated with the mind blowing surprise will be incredibly memorable.

Have that Bigsby put on there and the Epiphone Black Beauty will be within your financial range and will have just as much effect as the Gibson. Epiphone quality right now is incredible and the value is really excellent. For someone at his level of equipment ownership this should be super great.

The comparison between diamonds and cubic's is kind of incorrect. Epiphone's are not fake guitars and there are many really really nice Epiphones.

You know, you might also want to get him a small "at home" amp with all the money you'll save. Fender makes one for 299 US dollars called a Super Champ XD that is world renowned and is an all tube amp with a digital modelling chip. It is 20 tube watts, which equates to 60 solid state watts and tube amps sound, to many players, way better than solid state ones. This amp models or emulates 11 different Fender amps and the British Vox and Marshall amps. It is a real value and is a spectacular amp. Go to the fenderforum.com page and read about it from some of the greatest Fender amp experts. Here is the web link:

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=648268&lastpost=2009-01-1318:47:10

The Black Beauty and this amp would be way way less than the Gibson and he would be able to play you some great relaxing music at home without disturbing the neighbors, or crank it up LOUD to jam with a loud drummer and really hammer the guitar to get some awesome sounds.

That combo would be worthy of admiration and unforgettable.

Remember this tip: a great guitar will not sound great through a low quality amp; but a low quality well playing guitar will sound awesome thru a great amp. The SCXD is a great amp and the Epi Black Beauty is a great guitar.

I hope my ideas give you some ideas or help you with your decision. A Gibson is a lot of extra money and isn't necessary to make a fabulous birthday present. Epi's have lifetime warranty's. Maybe someday get a great Gibson LP or SG or something on an incredible sale. Be looking.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

My Fender Super Champ XD is a super great tube amp for only 299 US, is a combo including amp and speaker in the same unit and is "classic" Fender looking. Definitely worth checking out at this low price for such a high quality amp. Fender did it right with this one.

I happen to have a couple of nice electric guitars (one is a Gibson Les Paul) and a couple of less expensive instruments. There's no denying that my Gibson is fantastic, but when I'm just sitting around the house messing around I find myself always using one of my cheaper guitars, since I don't have to worry about them. My Les Paul is for special occasions. If your boyfriend doesn't have a bunch of high end guitars, he'll probably regard the Gibson as something really special (which it is), but that could keep him from being able to simply enjoy playing. In other words: I think you should go with the Epiphone. Also, Gibsons tend to be inconsistent with regard to quality, which means you, as a novice, could end up paying a lot of money for a bad one and not even realize it.

For a boyfriend - Epiphone

For a husband - Gibson

Not influenced by this post but this is ...=P~ ... lol....

but ya an Epiphone isn't a bad guitar...it's as good ... My dad used to play Gibson, after I bought an Epiphone he said " hey this here aint bad man...It's just the pick ups or else it'd sound like the Gibson" we'll all I wanted to say is Epiphones aren't bad at all..

Archived