Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone les paul oddity...set neck

dubstar

I guess it's possible that the bridge on the melody maker copy is a wraparound that the guy did not wraparound. In other words, he didn't know how to use it correctly. It is very dirty and corroded, so it is very hard to determine.

I thought I saw string marks on top. Looked to me like someone just strung it as a straight pull. Bet it was harder than heck to keep in tune.

you're correct, it's a compensated bridge..... IMO, it's definately a guitar worth going after if you dont mind putting in some work.

I actually meant a traditional wraparound.........strings load "inside out", wrap around the bottom, and over traditional saddles.............like a tailpiece and bridge in 1.

But, I don't mind being wrong, as it appears I am........as long as somebody has the right answer.

The pic of the origional Gibson...not bad......the Epi in question....BLEH, i'd bid $20 just to burn it *L*

Oh' date=' there's a lot I don't know, about Epi's...

Nelson's probably the "expert" in history and models, etc.

I learn more, all the time.

CB[/quote']

awwww that was sweet of you to say but......I don't know history...I AM history...lol

Mr.Nelson

Here is the info I have found

There were three options for this guitar from 1960 to 1961

Olympic SB722-3/4 (single pickup option, had only 19 frets)

Olympic SB722 (single pickup option 22 frets)

Olympic SB722D (dual pickup option 22 frets)... Which is probably the one up for auction on eBay.

Two melody maker style single coil pickups.

2 volume and 2 tone controls. Metal offset bridge with optional vibrola tailpiece. Plastic enclosed strip tuners.

Finishes: Cherry, Sunburst and custom colours: Sunset Yellow, California Coral, Pacific Blue

Neck: One-piece mahogany, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. No binding.

Body: Solid mahogany.

It was once a pretty nice axe!!! I hope the person that gets it will try and restore it back to what it was

Here is the info I have found

There were three options for this guitar from 1960 to 1961

Olympic SB722-3/4 (single pickup option' date=' had only 19 frets)

Olympic SB722 (single pickup option 22 frets)

Olympic SB722D (dual pickup option 22 frets)... Which is probably the one up for auction on eBay.[/quote']

Good show, Duane...where did you find those?

CB

I have never seen a single cutaway epi from the 60`s but by the previous links I guess they exist.

This guitar has no serial number that I can see when I blew the pic up. The bridge looks wrong. Had pick up and tuning machine changes. The headstock looks like my Olympic. I personally wouldn`t pay more than 200 bucks for it. The cost of both my Coronet and Olympic together.

My 1965 Olympic. Only mods I made to it was get rid of old Kluson tuners and add the green LP and SG Kluson tuners. And have a new lefty nut installed. And a Bad *** bridge. The original bridge never stayed in tune. My guitar tech would not let me put a P-90 into it. She said the guitar costs too much money to deface it.

1965olympic.jpg

P.S. I am already watching the guitar`s progress.

I have never seen a single cutaway epi from the 60`s but by the previous links I guess they exist.

This guitar has no serial number that I can see when I blew the pic up. The bridge looks wrong. Had pick up and tuning machine changes. The headstock looks like my Olympic. I personally wouldn`t pay more than 200 bucks for it. The cost of both my Coronet and Olympic together.

My 1965 Olympic. Only mods I made to it was get rid of old Kluson tuners and add the green LP and SG Kluson tuners. And have a new lefty nut installed. And a Bad *** bridge. The original bridge never stayed in tune. My guitar tech would not let me put a P-90 into it. She said the guitar costs too much money to deface it.

1965olympic.jpg

P.S. I am already watching the guitar`s progress.

It's the correct bridge, but you're correct about the other mods..... I'll be honest, if that guitar is sitting at $100 to 150 with an hour left to bid, I'll be surprised.... And if that is the case you can bet I'll be in there trying to win it.

Archived