Gibson Brands Forums

John Lennon, underrated "Rhythmer?"

charlie brown

What do you all think?

I've always loved his rhythm work,

and, frankly, his "primitive lead"(his words) work, as well.

They were always great foundations, and inter-mixes, with

George's leads, and Paul's bass/piano/guitar work.

But, it would be intesting (to me, anyway) to hear what other

folks here, think.

Fire away!

CB

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally underrated' date=' he thought of himself as a much better guitar player than people knew. He even mentioned it himself and can be heard on "The Lost Lennon Tapes."

[/quote']

Yep he even stated "I'm no slouch." And John was right about himself

I completely agree, CB. John was a fantastic guitarist. But what I find more important to the Beatles sound is how he and George sound together. Personally, I can not think of a greater guitar duo than John and George. Perhaps John was not as technically advanced as others, but when you add George into the equation, that does not matter. The two of them are extraordinary players, and they compliment each other very well.

I completely agree' date=' CB. John was a fantastic guitarist. But what I find more important to the Beatles sound is how he and George sound together. Personally, I can not think of a greater guitar duo than John and George. Perhaps John was not as technically advanced as others, but when you add George into the equation, that does not matter. The two of them are extraordinary players, and they compliment each other very well.[/quote']

very well stated=d>

I always loved how their "tones" complimented one another, too! Neither was over the top, or

would overshawdow the other, but worked so well, Together! Tasty stuff! And, John had as many

iconic "riffs" as anyone...."I Feel Fine," being just one, stand out example. I always liked that little

hammer-on chord beginning, that he did for "I've Got A Feeling," too...even though it's Paul's tune.

That fill work he does in "Get Back," is fun...as well as the lead!

And, his metronome like steadiness, on the triplets in "All My Lovin'" was always inspiring,

from the very beginning!

CB

I always loved how their "tones" complimented one another' date=' too! Neither was over the top, or

would overshawdow the other, but worked so well, Together! Tasty stuff! And, John had as many

iconic "riffs" as anyone...."I Feel Fine," being just one, stand out example. I always liked that little

hammer-on chord beginning, that he did for "I've Got A Feeling," too...even though it's Paul's tune.

And, his metronome like steadiness, on the triplets in "All My Lovin'" was always inspiring,

from the very beginning!

CB[/quote']

I Feel Fine

I've Got A Feeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcuvjYxYJz0

Get Back

All My Lovin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3ZvgWogWc

All those 8-hour stints at the Star club in Hamburg paid off --- by the time the Beatles became well-known, they were a TIGHT band who knew each other's styles --- and how to play together as a BAND --- very well indeed.

I always loved how their "tones" complimented one another' date=' too! Neither was over the top, or

from the very beginning!

CB[/quote']

I always play that tune to anyone who thinks playing rhythm is for wimps that can't play lead. Johns playing is really perfect and in my opinion its one great pop song. From Pauls count in and great bass runs and George's fantastic lead guitar to Ringo's inspired drumming. There's a reason this kicked off the Sullivan show appearance and their U.S. invasion.

John is my idol...since over 40 years...loll

There is the Beatles and all the others.... I know...it's because i'm 56 y.o.

As I played rythm in bands since 40 years and over...it make me preffer John over all the other Beatles, but I have to say Georges is also underrated as Lead, and people have to know that Paul is the best musician in the band.

Have you heard the interview with John when the radio guy ask John if Ringo was the best drummer in the world and John answer was:" Ringo is not even the best drummer in The Beatles...reffering to Paul, that supposely was playing better drum than Ringo...Lollll

This was a great thread to read.

I've said for a long time that Johns playing was right on the money, tasteful, and not easy guitar as many people seem to say.

I don't know how many times in bands I've pointed to the beatles hamburg days and tried to get the point across that

a band that plays a lot. and plays together. will be a band that can at least have a chance of going far.

You've all seen or read about how they had cheers and chants.. top of the top, boys. lennon would shout, and people thought it was corny or

juvenile. But it went towards keeping them focused, as a team, as friends, as a band.

And you don't find people very often willing to admit their desire and share it.

You can sure hear it in the writing the singing and the playing those guys did.

And you can, despite their arguments, hear the friendship just as strongly.

Ringo had his weaknesses.. but let's listen.. sheesh. He always sounds like Ringo.

His fills are different, his choices, sure they were added to.. even sometimes replaced by paul.. but they were right for

the band.

right for the song, well that's arguable..

right for technical perfection, also arguable.

But I really can't imagine the beatles with someone else, anymore than I can the Who.

Yep, I'll take Ringo anytime!

TWANG

Not only did Lennon have one of the greatest voices in rock 'n roll but he was one hell of a rhythm guitar player.

Just how good he really was really hits home when ya listen to boots of the various studio sessions.

Ringo- as has been said, he had the best backbeat in the business.

Good topic.

Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie, Clapton, Gilmour, Page....ugh I just get sick when I see those names. John Lennon truly puts all of them to shame. No one who walked this Earth has ever done more wonderful things with a guitar in hand than John Lennon has.

You want rhythm?

I FOUND OUT!

How the hell does he get that rhythm going with just scratch guitar? What guitar work. He picks a perfect note here and there behind the scratch chords, he accentuates his lyric when needed, he created a guitar sound in this song unlike any other....just the most perfect guitar song.

John is the reason why guitars are made.

The power of John's rythmn work is at it's most obvious on some of their earliest British TV appearances (before lip-syncing was de riguer) when they can actually be heard. Yes, Paul's bass playing cointerpoints Ringo's drumming perfectly, and George's leads were the icing on the cake, but John's rythmn is what DROVE their early sound.

I've often heard what an innovative rythmn guitarist Keith Richard was, but he never did anything I hadn't heard John do 6 months or a year earlier.

As for John's lead work, I actually prefer it to George's in most instances. Calling himself "no slouch" was still an EXTREME understatement.

Archived