Gibson Brands Forums

how do you store your guitars?

twiggy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
leaned up against furniture. i'm an idiot

+1 if your joking. That made me chuckle.

I've seen way too many guitars get damaged that way. It darn near gives me a panic attack when I see people do that. One guy I jam with does this with his brand new Breedlove acoustic. I usually just cringe.

I have a couple tripod stands and a few backless stands that I use...and one wall hanger.I keep my Epiphone Expert-6 Bass in it's case at all times and my Kramer is currently occupying the only hardshell case I own.

yeah, just checked that stand I posted as a photo in local guitar shop today and it's too tiny. It looks really nice but archtop with bigsby would take space of two, which makes this stand from 6 guitars to fit only 3. Damn it. Well as more I search as more i'm starting to think of doing it myself 8-[

+1 if your joking. That made me chuckle.

only half joking i'm afraid... i have 7 and 5 guitar stands... but if i've been playing and i get called away then i'll elan a guitar on anything. like i said' date=' i'm an idiot. :) [/quote']

Understandable. Just make sure you try and lean in in a corner or crevase or something. Guitars like to enexpectedly slide to one side and crash to the floor when leaned up against furniture.

Dennis, first of all upload your photos onto site like imageshack or photo bucket

then when you'll get a address for your photo, press icon with mountain and a little sun just next to the ones for bold, italic of underlined text (talking bout the forum window)

you'll get text "[ img ] [ /img ]" in your window. paste your photo address right in between those two tags and it will appear right on your post.

so waiting for photos :-

I have a couple guitar stands that I keep around to hold those guitars that I'm using at the moment. The rest remain in hard-shell cases.

I need to update my signature, the family has grown a bit in the last few weeks, but my reasoning remains intact. I try to keep the guitars safe in their cases, except for those that I happen to be using at one particular time.

A good friend has a lovely late '90s Gibson Les Paul Standard bass that he adores. He kept it on a stand in his music room (one of those stands where the guitar hangs from the headstock) and it got knocked over by one of his son's friends.:- The result was a trip to Guitar Resurrection in Austin to have the head reattached to the body.

I think I'll continue to put up with the inconvenience of hard shell cases.

HARD CASES WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR GUITAR!!!!

Now that I have your attention, let me tell you that the Made-In Canada Epiphone hardcase that came with my 12-year old Les Paul had bent the neck upwards at the point it meets the body to make a shape I call "a hockey stick" (Canada, hockey-stick, how ironic!). This may be that the case's foam that lies under the body has settled and a good bit of the weight of the guitar was now being supported by theneck at the case's U-shaped neck support at the 8th fret. I was getting fret buzz because of all this. I managed to reset this effect somewhat by forcing the neck down and re-bending it to about where it should be by padding the case with rags and towels while storing the guitar in it. I came to the conclusion that the neck of the LP is not a stiff piece of wood, but rather a thick, viscous liquid and it alters its shape over time to its environment and not only to forces it is subjected to, but also to humidity and heat.

Having said that, pay close attention to your case and the points that support the neck to make sure that the neck rests in-the-air and that it is not supporting the weight of the body too much or the neck will bend on you. In the end, I had to put a small towel under the body so that I could raise it 1/4-inc so that there would not be any stress on the neck (resting in-the-air). I think that you can avoid problems by getting a hook and hanging the guitar on a wall. This will allow for the neck to remain nice and straight and avoid surprises. A guitar stand would be the second best choice.

Here's another piece of advice,....for those people who buy a new or used guitar and send it to a luthier right away to get a fret dressing....Whoa!, don't do it!!!! Get you guitar, and store it for a month or two in the way you normally store a guitar so that the neck will find its old position. After that time, you can decide if the fret dressing is still needed. What you don't want to do is to do a fret dressing on a guitar that was subjected to some unusual forces and environment by the previous owner, and you adjust the frets only to find that the neck reset itself to a new position and you have done more damage to the guitar, ....or something like that, just think about it.

If you agree or disagree to the above, let me know. This has been my experience with the LP, your may be different.

make sure you dont have two sets of "http://" in the tagline. The scripting automatically puts one in there...and if you copy/paste the URL' date=' it may be in there twice.[/quote']

OK, let's try it again. The electrics from left to right are Dot, Gibby LP, Gretsch 5122DC, PRS Mira, PRS Custom SE, Fender Strat, Carvin CT6

003.jpg

004.jpg

I have a stand that holds 7 guitars in a cemi-circle another single stand and I lean one or two up against a wall, piano, or whatever else - but they always lean with the strings towards what it is leaning on.

I've spent years keeping them in cases and none ever received any damage. I mean some guitars I didn't pull out of the case for a year or two; it was a time in my military career that I didn't play much, but I sure did move a lot. I now find keeping them in the case is a pain in the bum if I want to play it and that's why the 7 hold stand. Now I just grab the one as the mood or song fits.

OK' date=' let's try it again. The electrics from left to right are Dot, Gibby LP, Gretsch 5122DC, PRS Mira, PRS Custom SE, Fender Strat, Carvin CT6

[img']http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr238/DennisG_1/003.jpg[/img]

004.jpg

Twiggy ...

That's the exact stand I was telling you about ... The ProLine. Thanks for the pic, Dennis. Its a good stand with a fair amount of room for and between the guitars. You just have to use a tiny bit of caution when you pull one out.

MIDI

Yeah, if you're careful, you won't ding your guitars. And the Gretsch is the widest of the bunch, with a Bigsby, but still fits. You'll find over time that the foam will depress where the guitars rest against the rack, but again, just be careful when putting them away. The "bandage" is because the Gibby LP has a nitro finish, and the foam will burn a blem in it if it's stored that way for any length of time.

I also keep a single stand out so that if I'm playing and have to stop quickly (answer the door, clean up spilled beer, etc.) I don't have to worry about putting the one I'm playing back in there, I just set it on the single stand. All in all, I'm happy with the ProLine. It's a great space saver, it's sturdy, & pretty easy to assemble. Your mileage may vary.

HARD CASES WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR GUITAR!!!!

Now that I have your attention' date=' let me tell you that the Made-In Canada Epiphone hardcase that came with my 12-year old Les Paul had bent the neck upwards at the point it meets the body to make a shape I call "a hockey stick" (Canada, hockey-stick, how ironic!). This may be that the case's foam that lies under the body has settled and a good bit of the weight of the guitar was now being supported by theneck at the case's U-shaped neck support at the 8th fret. I was getting fret buzz because of all this. I managed to reset this effect somewhat by forcing the neck down and re-bending it to about where it should be by padding the case with rags and towels while storing the guitar in it. I came to the conclusion that the neck of the LP is not a stiff piece of wood, but rather a thick, viscous liquid and it alters its shape over time to its environment and not only to forces it is subjected to, but also to humidity and heat.

Having said that, pay close attention to your case and the points that support the neck to make sure that the neck rests in-the-air and that it is not supporting the weight of the body too much or the neck will bend on you. In the end, I had to put a small towel under the body so that I could raise it 1/4-inc so that there would not be any stress on the neck (resting in-the-air). I think that you can avoid problems by getting a hook and hanging the guitar on a wall. This will allow for the neck to remain nice and straight and avoid surprises. A guitar stand would be the second best choice.

Here's another piece of advice,....for those people who buy a new or used guitar and send it to a luthier right away to get a fret dressing....Whoa!, don't do it!!!! Get you guitar, and store it for a month or two in the way you normally store a guitar so that the neck will find its old position. After that time, you can decide if the fret dressing is still needed. What you don't want to do is to do a fret dressing on a guitar that was subjected to some unusual forces and environment by the previous owner, and you adjust the frets only to find that the neck reset itself to a new position and you have done more damage to the guitar, ....or something like that, just think about it.

If you agree or disagree to the above, let me know. This has been my experience with the LP, your may be different.[/quote']

Okay, I disagree.

First of all, you were getting fret buzz because you were trying to set up a Les Paul with a ridicculously low action, if I remember the thread correctly. Granted, the case may have caused some slight bowing of the neck, but I can only see that happening if you stored the case flat on its' back for a very long period of time, which I can't see as being practical. Storing it that way would take up more space than just about any other way you could possibly store a guitar in a case... most people would opt to either stand it up on end in a closet or maybe against the wall in a corner, thus orienting the guitar just as if it was standing on a stand or hanging on a wall hanger, or to stand the case up, but laid out longways, so that the handle points up, as if you were carrying the guitar by the handle. Either of these positions would remove virtually 100% of the stress on the neck that might be caused by the settling of the foam you mention. (I am resistant to use numbers though, as last time, the thread ended up being steered into a discussion of advanced trigonometric equasions of force and newtonian law and whatnot, which I would rather not repeat again EVER, LOL...) To say that a hard case would cause more damage to a guitar than letting it swing freely in the open air on a wall hanger or sit out on a stand is pretty laughable. That is the purpose of a hardshell case, to PROTECT the guitar from damage. That's like saying that seat belts WILL cause injury in a car crash. Sure, in some rare cases it may be true (*cough cough* DEF LEPPARD *cough cough*) but far more often, they prevent injury.

As for how I store my guitars when not in use...

My computer room doubles as my son's room for the two weekends a month he is here... so his bunkbeds are in here. As the top bunk has no matress and is used for storage, it makes a nice corral for my herd. When he is here, I just move them to the baby's room or the garage so they're out of his way, he likes to play up there with his toybox.

corralrf0.jpg

The only one that doesn't stay in the corral, is the beater, which gets leaned up in reaching distance for when I'm sitting at the computer. It stays plugged into my Behringer V-amp pro, which is plugged into the computer. So, at any given time, I simply have to open up my cakewalk program, pick the guitar up, and start recording my next "masterpiece" as inspiration hits... And if the dogs knock it over, worst they can do is make it look better by chewing on it, LOL!

beaterzn9.jpg

Archived