Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings from AusTex

Scrap_Iron

Howdy! I'm a steel guitarist in Austin, Texas, and happy to join this forum. I also play guitar and slide, and just received a Epiphone Limted Edition 1966 G-400 Silverburst SG from the online store.

Granted, this was an impulse buy, but it turned out well. The fit and finish are nice, the electronics all work smoothly, the body and neck transmit lively vibrations. I tuned it up right out of the box and thrashed it around awhile.

The next day, I put on some new strings and tweaked the intonation just a bit. Good straight neck, the action might come down a little. No buzz or dead spots as it is now. The tuners hold well.

I've only played the guitar at practice volumes, so I haven't explored all of the pickups strengths/weaknesses. Sound is full on the bottom, and smooth mids at these volumes.

I got this because of the set neck and mahagony body, and hoped that a "special edition" would reflect a little added attention. I'm pleased overall with this guitar for the price.

Like I said, I'm primarily a pedal steel guitarist, but I also play guitar and have 35 years experience. This little Epiphone is my first Epi, and I am happy to join the club. I hope I can contribute a little to this forum.

565038.jpg

S.I.

Howdy and welcome.

I always wanted to learn steel guitar. Just never got around to it. Anyway, diversity is a good thing.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Have fun and don't be a stranger. Lots of good people and information. All contributions are cheerfully accepted.

Just watch out for the occasional flying shoes. (they don't always hit who they were intended for)

bush-flying-shoe.gif

Wow, y'all, thanks for the welcome!

Yep, that was the picture from the ad (hey, I was trying to avoid that 'neener-neener'). But it would look just like that (on a couch) if I would take a photo. Instead, here's a picture of me at my main ax, a Williams D-10 8&5.

bobby_snell.jpg

Take that as thumbs up for my SG. It rings nice unplugged, and sustains through my little ss Marshalls even better. I've found a variety of sounds, not only from pickup combinations and tone controls, but also where and how I pick...in short, a good, responsive working guitar. Now, I still would like to like the chance to throw it into a Vintage Modern or JVM at a good throttle...in time. That will be a real test of the pickups, but I really think the body/neck of the guitar are good enough to support an upgrade if necessary. I'll be looking for a range of rock sounds to suplement my other, single-coil guitar. If this is a good example of the Epiphone Custom Shop Limited Editions, I would buy another in the future.

WW, if you are interested in steel guitar, this is a great time for info on the web. And the mother lode is at the Steel Guitar forum, with links to manufacturers, instruction, etc.

Steel Guitar Forum

And, as far as flying shoes...I did play one place in Oklahoma that had the chicken wire. Made us wonder all night. And there was the time in Beaumont, after running for my life in the parking lot, I moved my rig behind the Voice of the Theatres PA for the rest of the night. Ah, the good old days.

Archived