Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi Alleykat for $450. Should I??? Or used Gibby LP Special Faded instead???

KYSohn

I've been looking for a decent used Dot locally with no luck so far.

But the shop I went to today had a brand new (technically NOS, made in 06 MIK with "I" serial) Alleykat with asking price of $495.

But I was told that I could have it for $450.

Tried it out, and it was NICE!!!

The neck mini HB was really clear and balanced. The bridge HB had enough bite without being harsh.

So I'm thinking I should probably go for it instead of used Dot.

I was looking for semi-hollow or hollow bodied guitars, so it fits the bill...

Do you think I should go for that $450 deal?

OR here's another choice.

A different store had a used Gibson LP Special Faded (flat-top) for $485.

It was NOT in like-new condition. The back of it had several dents/scratches from belt buckle.

But the front and fingerboard looked good, and the frets were excellent.

Gave it a try, and it played really well.

(Had no idea which PUPs it had in)

I already have two LP types (Epi ZW Custom LP and Agile 3000 LP copy).

So should I go for something different, like Epi Alleykat for $450?

Or should I increase my LP collections by going with this used Gibby LP Special Faded flat-top for $485?

Thanks in advance, guys!!!

[Edit] Sorry, the Gibby was NOT a studio. It was a LP SPECIAL faded. I edited the title and content...

I guess Alleykat is the winner by the popular choice...

Now' date=' what about the $$$???

Is $450 for a brand new 06 model a fair price?

Also, are all Alleykats MIK? Or are the newer ones made in China now?

Thanks guys!!![/quote']

They aren't made anymore, but some of the last ones may have been made in China. I just don't know.

They aren't made anymore' date=' but some of the last ones may have been made in China. I just don't know.[/quote']

Thanks Jeffery.

Going to Epi's homepage, I also found out a minute ago that Alleykat has been discontinued.

Maybe, I can use that to bring the price down little more?

I'm expecting some $$ from tax return, which will come to me in about a week.

If they still have that Kat by the time I have $$ from Uncle Sam, I will take my cash and go there to haggle!!! ](*,)

Thanks Jeffery.

Going to Epi's homepage' date=' I also found out a minute ago that Alleykat has been discontinued.

If they still have that Kat by the time I have $$ from Uncle Sam, I will take my cash and go there to haggle!!! default_eusa_wall.gif

I believe that mine was made at the Samick factory (or the Unsung). Very nicely finished.

Thanks Jeffery.

Going to Epi's homepage' date=' I also found out a minute ago that Alleykat has been discontinued.

If they still have that Kat by the time I have $$ from Uncle Sam, I will take my cash and go there to haggle!!! =P~ [/quote']

If anything, their value should go UP if they've been discontinued! Guitars aren't like cars, or TVs...

I'd say jump for it.

If anything' date=' their value should go UP if they've been discontinued! Guitars aren't like cars, or TVs...

I'd say jump for it.

[/quote']

Quite possible. But that maybe the case if the guitar in question is in high demand.

If not and if stores are having hard time moving them, then they may try to put even lower prices, like we see on GC or Musician's Friend blowout (?) sale for the discontinued items.

Is Epi Alleykat a type of guitar that many are looking for?

If it is made in 2006 but is still on the wall of the store, the store may just want to move it out of their door....

Or at least, that's what I'm hoping... #-o

But regardless, $450 seems to be a fair price... =P~

Both played really well.

Both also had really comfy necks. The Gibby Special Faded had fairly thin (60's profile?) neck. Epi's neck was also thinner than G-400 or Dot I've played before. Loved both necks.

I played Alleykat through a Fender Deville, and it was very very good.

I played Gibby though a crappy Marshall Valvestate 30W, but it still was okay.

Maybe, I'll just sell my Agile 3000 and add that $$ to my fund to get me a used Gibby LP Studio??? :-s

There will always be beat-up Gibson Studios available. Finding a nice AlleyKat is a bit harder. I'm not being an Epiphone polisher...a semihollow that is somewhere between the size of a Sheraton and the size of a Les Paul is just plain wonderful for me. The two most easy for me to handle guitars I have are the AlleyKat and a small Gretsch Country Classic Jr.

If the size is immaterial, then the choice becomes harder. I think the AlleyKat is prettier.

There will always be beat-up Gibson Studios available. Finding a nice AlleyKat is a bit harder. I'm not being an Epiphone polisher...a semihollow that is somewhere between the size of a Sheraton and the size of a Les Paul is just plain wonderful for me. The two most easy for me to handle guitars I have are the AlleyKat and a small Gretsch Country Classic Jr.

If the size is immaterial' date=' then the choice becomes harder. I think the AlleyKat is prettier.[/quote']

Very true!!!

And it will be very hard to deny that AlleyKat is prettier!!!

I'm definitely leaning toward the Kat. I'll post HNGD pics when I get it, say around a week or so.

"Alleykats" are great for a lot of different styles, too. LP's are good as well, but don't have the "warmth"

that a semi has...and the Alleykat is just a bit bigger, than the LP...so, it has that kind of feel to it. The

mini-humbucker in the neck position is a good idea...more articulate, less "mud!" The "'57" at the bridge,

is plenty, for "Blues," Blues Rock," "Classic Rock," and the like. With the mini...clean "Jazz" is a switch click away.

It's one guitar (of several) I'd still like to get! Anyway...just my "2-cents'" worth.

CB

The Kat' date=' youve got a few LP's they all sound pretty similar, but the Kat will be a nice change form your slash alter ego[/quote']

Hey, hey, watch it there buddy. It's my Zakk Wylde alter ego!!!

(My God, I am so helplessly lame...) =P~

Archived