Gibson Brands Forums

Sticker Shock!

charlie brown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since all that stuff, is based on how much they make off you...as well as how well you pay it back, what kind of

risk you are, etc., I guess it's not surprising, either way. ;>b But, even though I pay off most purchases, there's always

something on it...seemingly. So, it's never really "0" balanced...at least for long! LOL! But, it's always within reach of

being paid completely off, at any one time. Maybe that's more accurate...So...???

CB

This might sound kind of stupid but I think theres a reason that Gibson and Fender are not worried about the economy. You see during the Great Depression tobacco' date=' alcohol, gambling, and music flourished. I do not know if it is because these vices are a stress relief for some but if these companies looked at the statistics then that might be the reason why they are not concerned about our struggling economy. My friend is a manager at the shop where I just got my epi gold top and he said that right now business couldn't be better. Its strange but true.[/quote']

I talked to the manager at Long & McQuade in my city, and he is saying exactly the same thing.

Guitars sell better in a down time. Music is a solace to the downtrodden. Or anyone who thinks they are!

Here in Canada our dollar is not doing so well against the American dollar, so prices move every week, and they're not going down.

...I talked to the manager at Long & McQuade in my city' date=' and he is saying exactly the same thing.

Guitars sell better in a down time. Music is a solace to the downtrodden. Or anyone who thinks they are!....[/quote']

If that's true (and I have no reason to think it's not), wouldn't people buy budget guitars? I mean many of the Delta greats bought cheap Sears & Roebuck catalogue guitars.

If you're a whisky drinker and you're down on your luck you drink the cheapest rotgut not an expensive single malt.

I was looking at the American Deluxe Telecaster' date=' and it went up $500... I was hoping to make that my next (and biggest) guitar purchase.[/quote']

I bought this exact Tele brand new on ebay for $900. Absolutely perfect condition. I was shocked to see the price increase in my Musicians Friend catalogue.

Last year when our Canuck dollar was around par I bought a Gretsch country classic, an epi Joe Pass, an ebony Sheraton, and an epi SST along with a few other odds and sods including a little GDEC practice amp. Sure glad I did that then as I am pretty welll set with those purchases combined with all the gear I had on hand before.

I wish I could say I am clever, but it was just blind luck and good timing. Fortunately, I paid cash and I bought used.

But .... I always wanted that 3 colour sunburst Fender Jazzmaster .... <sigh> ..... and now I guess that is up in the stratosphere somewhere price-wise.:-#

I guess I will have to settle with upgrading pups and things of that nature now... (unless one of my lottery tickets cashes in...)

Last year when our Canuck dollar was around par I bought a Gretsch country classic' date=' an epi Joe Pass, an ebony Sheraton, and an epi SST along with a few other odds and sods including a little GDEC practice amp. Sure glad I did that then as I am pretty welll set with those purchases combined with all the gear I had on hand before.

I wish I could say I am clever, but it was just blind luck and good timing. Fortunately, I paid cash and I bought used.

But .... I always wanted that 3 colour sunburst Fender Jazzmaster .... <sigh> ..... and now I guess that is up in the stratosphere somewhere price-wise.:-#

I guess I will have to settle with upgrading pups and things of that nature now... (unless one of my lottery tickets cashes in...)[/quote']

I just about liquidated my assets during 2008 snatching up some Epiphones before (a) their price went up, (B) Elitists were discontinued, © all available Epiphones were Chinese, and (d) the stock market tanked. I have no regrets whatsoever. Those guitars were the only good things that happened to me in 2008, and ever since my life has been pretty grim. I still have a job, but facing a 30% cut in the state budget, a lot of us will be losing our jobs in August.

By the way, one of the purchases was an ebony Sheraton as well. Love it.

I still have a job' date=' but facing a 30% cut in the state budget, a lot of us will be losing our jobs in August.

[/quote']

As a fellow state employee, you have my complete sympathy. Threats of lay-offs, enforced furloughs and pay-cuts, in addition to ongoing hiring freezes, position depletion and natural wasteage abound. Unless you're a Governor or member of the state legislature that is. No belt-tightening there - just business as usual on the gravy train. Heck, our former leader, good ol' Gov. Mike [sl]easley even managed to squeeze in an all-expenses-paid vacation [sorry, "business recruiting exercise"] to Italy, not long before he left office. http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/1113165.html

If this were France, there would be people setting fire to the Champs-Élysées by now...

• 2 months later...
Remember this thread from February? Looks like we got snookered by the ol' "raise prices now so's we can lower them on sale later" trick:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/?src=3WWRWXGG&ZYXSEM=0

Well, they never (or rarely, anyway) seem to put ANYTHING on "Sale," that I ever want! LOL!

The Epi Riviera P-93LE was the last thing I bought from MF...last October! It wasn't on sale,

but the selling price, was certainly decent (amazing, even) for that guitar! So, it was a great

deal, even so. Just wish there was more like it, quality/price, that is. But...prices across the board,

are going up...sometimes drastically so. Been grocery shopping lately?! Wheweeee!

CB

Archived