Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone randy rhoads

death

i got this epiphone about 18 years ago it is almost a dead ringer for an original jackson rr i havent been able to find much on it i herd that epiphone got sued by jackson over it an it was only made for one year if any one can tell me anything about it i would be very thankful

i got this epiphone about 18 years ago it is almost a dead ringer for an original jackson rr i havent been able to find much on it i herd that epiphone got sued by jackson over it an it was only made for one year if any one can tell me anything about it i would be very thankful
Who is this randy rhoads of whom you speak ??? #-o

• 1 year later...

Wow man, how cool is this. I bought a Epiphone Randy Rhoads two weeks ago... It was a bit worn and had no electronics, so I'm restoring it as we speak. Anyway I've been looking for info on that guitar for the last weeks, and I really can't find anything. Can you give more details on your guitar 'cause I still have a feeling mine is sort of a rip-off (i.e. not a real epiphone).

On my Randy Rhoads: it's a black one with a nice set neck and a tilted headstock. Scale of the fredboard is longer like Explorers and Strats. So far it looks like a quality product. Here's the catch though: I can't find a serialnumber, not on the neck, not on the body. The other weird thing is that the body seems to be made of laminated wood, not solid chunks. Now I recall I've read somewhere that Gibson nor Epihone have ever used laminated wood for their guitars and that the use of such wood is an indication of forgery. That's why I think it might be rip-off. Than again, if one is gonna make a rip-oof guitar, than why an Epiphone and not a Gibson? That's where I'm confused.

Still and all I love the guitar, so I don't really care if it is genuine or not, I'm just curious about it's origins that's all.

One of the resident Epi historians may tell me i'm wrong, but I don't think Epi has ever made an official RR ANYTHING....

They've made a polka dot V, and a few variations of the "offset V" but none of them have ever been designated as Randy Rhodes models.

Lots of people "wishfully" call them RR models, to boost percieved value and sales prices, but unless i'm terribly mistaken, any REAL connection between Randy and Epi. is bogus.

...Scale of the fredboard is longer like Explorers and Strats...Now I recall I've read somewhere that Gibson nor Epihone have ever used laminated wood for their guitars...

Explorers have the standard 24.75" scale.

Epiphone's cheaper guitars are laminated - it's significantly cheaper than solid wood, and it makes crap-all real difference to sound. The Gibson Zoot Suit would attest to Gibson considering laminated bodies good enough for a $2000 MSRP. [biggrin] I can't say if Epi's old offset V was though. I've only ever seen one before. [tongue]

Bender; you are correct, Epiphone has never made a Randy Rhoads V. They made a V that looks just like a RR though. [thumbup]

The other weird thing is that the body seems to be made of laminated wood, not solid chunks. Now I recall I've read somewhere that Gibson nor Epihone have ever used laminated wood for their guitars and that the use of such wood is an indication of forgery.

Not true. Epiphone is nororious for making laminted guitars in the past. Since the move to Qingdao in 2007, they have all but eliminted laminate bodies on their guitars, save for a few such as the Juniors, Specials and (ahem) the G-1275 Double Neck.

If your guitar is from the 90's and its not a Les Paul or G-400, there is a good chance its laminate.

If it has a red "E" with wings on it, it is definately a Demon from the Epiphone E-series.

Epiphone's cheaper guitars are laminated

Thats only partly true if you are talking about older Epis....or the G-1275

I considered posting some info on this thread, but another had some more recent dates and I put it there instead. See here:

http://forum.gibson....itar-need-info/

http://epi.p3net.net/wiki/index.php/Flying_V

Flying V (1985)

- Two open-coil humbuckers

- Black hardware (Ebony finish)/ Chrome hardware (White finish)

- Tremolo tailpiece

- Offset "V" shape

- Body color "pointed hockeystick" headstock

- Rosewood fingerboard with "dot" inlays

- Colors available: Ebony and White.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow man, how cool is this. I bought a Epiphone Randy Rhoads two weeks ago... It was a bit worn and had no electronics, so I'm restoring it as we speak. Anyway I've been looking for info on that guitar for the last weeks, and I really can't find anything. Can you give more details on your guitar 'cause I still have a feeling mine is sort of a rip-off (i.e. not a real epiphone).

On my Randy Rhoads: it's a black one with a nice set neck and a tilted headstock. Scale of the fredboard is longer like Explorers and Strats. So far it looks like a quality product. Here's the catch though: I can't find a serialnumber, not on the neck, not on the body. The other weird thing is that the body seems to be made of laminated wood, not solid chunks. Now I recall I've read somewhere that Gibson nor Epihone have ever used laminated wood for their guitars and that the use of such wood is an indication of forgery. That's why I think it might be rip-off. Than again, if one is gonna make a rip-oof guitar, than why an Epiphone and not a Gibson? That's where I'm confused.

Still and all I love the guitar, so I don't really care if it is genuine or not, I'm just curious about it's origins that's all.

No serial # may be a good sign. Epiphone used stickers for serial numbers so it could have peeled off at some point.

Some bodies from 1985 weren't laminated, most were.

Epiphone made a 1985 V that looked like the V-2 (86-88 small bodied V with a v-trem) but they also made a bigger "offset" V (don't want to upset the rhoads snobs) with either vintage tremolo of kahler flyer for the bridge. These came in that 80's ferrari red or black.

Most important info is the position of the logo and script style, the bridge and fretbord markers. Scale should be 25.5" with medium frets. Post a pic or PM me if you really want to find out. I've owned and played on every obscure epi V made in the 80's.

Really? Even the new ones? Where did you get this info? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

As per Epiphone and Guitar Center, they now claim Mahogany. :-k The last time I looked, which could have been up to a year ago, they were still ply. If they truly have switched to solid wood, then that is good. The G-1275 deserves to be made from Mahogany just like their G-400 bretheren.

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to update my research from time to time, eh? Still, if you run into an older G-1275, being ply isnt an indication or forgery.

Really? Even the new ones? Where did you get this info? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

Dude in here less than a year ago bought a white one from Musicians Friend. Sent it back because it was laminate. So he bought a red one. They sent it to him and it was laminate too, so he sent it back. Said he'd just save up for a Gib$on.

As per Epiphone and Guitar Center, they now claim Mahogany. :-k The last time I looked, which could have been up to a year ago, they were still ply. If they truly have switched to solid wood, then that is good. The G-1275 deserves to be made from Mahogany just like their G-400 bretheren.

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to update my research from time to time, eh? Still, if you run into an older G-1275, being ply isnt an indication or forgery.

I totally agree that deserves the solid mahogany. Wow, I had no idea those were laminate! EPI-FAIL!!

Dude in here less than a year ago bought a white one from Musicians Friend. Sent it back because it was laminate. So he bought a red one. They sent it to him and it was laminate too, so he sent it back. Said he'd just save up for a Gib$on.

LOL I went to MTSU for a semester. I live in Crossville, TN now.

Archived