Gibson Brands Forums

Got me a new axe!!

AS90

1982 Greco Super Power...

P4010042.jpg

It has a semi-hollow top which makes a nice zingy sound. The first thing I did was fit a new set of strings and add a GFS Mean 90 and an historic TRC. Next up is new pots and caps.

Congrats,looks great and I'm sure since you have added the GFS Mean 90 sound great!!!! What kind of pot and caps are you thinking of dropping in it?

JS,

Your new avatar cracks me up!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

mgm

I love me some cherryburst! There's something just so classy about a plain top too. NIce!

Jim

Thanks' date=' it actually has quite a bit of flame, it just didn't show up in the pic!

Congrats,looks great and I'm sure since you have added the GFS Mean 90 sound great!!!! What kind of pot and caps are you thinking of dropping in it?

I have just dropped some 500k CTS pots and Sprague orange drop caps in there, it has made a HUGE difference! It sounds really nice, just as thick and creamy as any Les Paul but with an added sparkle and not muddy at all. Next up is some bell knobs and Wilkinson Antiquity tuners...

nats.jpg

I, too, love Heritage Cherry Sunburst. But I personally like the Plain tops best. IMO Plain Tops reflect guitars of the past as opposed to newer guitars.

I never saw figured tops on Les Pauls made in the 60s. They may have existed, but I never saw any.

Great axe! Like the headstock, much better than Epiphone's.

I have just dropped some 500k CTS pots and Sprague orange drop caps in there' date=' it has made a HUGE difference! It sounds really nice, just as thick and creamy as any Les Paul but with an added sparkle and not muddy at all. Next up is some bell knobs and Wilkinson Antiquity tuners...

[img']http://www.axesrus.com/axemachine_files/nats.jpg[/img]

I'm sure it made a big differece, especially if those were the original pots. Most of those Lp's from that era ( Orville, Burny ,Tokai,Grco,etc...) usally have very comfortable neck profiles and you can set the action exceptionally low,very good players you made a good pickup!!!

mgm

I'm sure it made a big differece' date=' especially if those were the original pots. Most of those Lp's from that era ( Orville, Burny ,Tokai,Grco,etc...) usally have very comfortable neck profiles and you can set the action exceptionally low,very good players you made a good pickup!!!

mgm [/quote']

Yes, I have had a few Orvilles and they are very comfortable to play, I think all MIJ necks are good, I had a MIJ Squier which was awesome! My 'Orville by Gibson' LP Custom had nitro finish, long tennon, USA pups and all USA hardware, the only thing that differed from my Gibson Les Paul was fret edge binding.

vdf.jpg

Archived