Gibson Brands Forums

BLACK BEAUTY - HAS TO MUCH BASS !! HELP !!

LeicesterGuy26

I recently bought a Black beauty after hearing good reviews and like the look of it. Although when I plugged it in to my Vox Vt30 it sounded way to bassy (if thats the correct spelling) I've turned down the bass and tweaked the middle and put up the treble but still sounds to bassy. Could it need setting up proffesionally or is it just the guiatar's normal sound. I was thinking of changing the pickups to some Pearly Gates and a SD alinco pro 2 to give it a better sound, plus Im a fan of slash and Led Zepplin ? Oh yeah and another thing Ive no idea how to set up a guitar so Im a bit dubious into messing around with anything myslef. Anyways any help is gratefull. Would new strings help. Ive not changed the strings yet any suggestions ? and yes I am useless haha

Hey! Sorry you're not particularly happy with your new guitar. Do you mind if I ask what kind of guitar you've been playing prior to bringing the Black Beauty home? The reason I ask is that Les Pauls do have a heavier, fatter sound that a lot of other guitars. Depending on what you've been playing up to this point, it might just be a question of getting used to the sound of an LP.

I'll check back later and see what you've written. I'm sure the folks in here will have lots of suggestions for pup changes if that is what you want to do.

Jim

Ive owned a suire strat and Ibanez rg5703ex and Fender Highway one and a Fender 60's classic player. This is my first LP. My friend has a LP classic and thats what got me on to them. Ive seen a few Lp BB on youtube and mine sounds like nothing like any of them. I know everyone has different set ups but it just doesn't seem right. Hope this helps

Guest alanhindle
Ive owned a suire strat and Ibanez rg5703ex and Fender Highway one and a Fender 60's classic player. This is my first LP. My friend has a LP classic and thats what got me on to them. Ive seen a few Lp BB on youtube and mine sounds like nothing like any of them. I know everyone has different set ups but it just doesn't seem right. Hope this helps

Sounds like you could be used to getting a brighter sound from your 'single coil equipped' previous guitars. The Epiphone humbuckers can sound muddy. Is this what you mean instead of 'bassy'? If so, some better quality pickups would sort the problem out.

Alan

Its brand new' date=' I bought from a shop called Reidy's[/quote']

Reidy's of Blackburn! That's cool...your guitar is definitely legit then.

I only asked, because we get a few folks here who tell us their new "Epiphone" plays like a dog, and then we find out that they bought it "new" on e-bay direct from a warehouse in China, and it ain't what it claims to be...

BTW: I like Leicester. I spent a week there years ago, because a buddy of mine was doing a semester abroad at Leicester Uni the same year I was studying in London. Cool city. The local brew was nice too, Everards?? And there was an amazing acoustic store close by the rail station. Wasn't hard to find a good curry either.

I agree with Midi and Alan. You're probably not used to your guitarsound growing a "set". And I've hardly seen any U-tube videos with a proper representation of a guitar's tone or sound. How does your friend's LP sound by comparison?

I'm afraid it's the nature of the Les Paul "Beast". Mines got a hugely fat, well rounded sound I especially dig when I turn the lows up on the EQ on my amp, and it's made even moreso since I swapped pickups for a set of old Gibson "T-Top" pickups...HUGE difference from the stockers. Tinny-ness is an undesirable quality for me in a guitar, that's why I swapped pickups in my Telecaster too. But yes, different amps will provide more or less bass. I use a bass amp through a 4x12 cabinet, and you wanna talk about "thump"? My neighbors love me, if you catch my drift.

Im gonna take it to Sheeans and let them have a look at it to see if there is a problem or its just the way it sounds. If its the way it sounds then there might be a Black beauty up for sale soon haha ! Will see what they say and let you guys know. Thanks again all !!

Well, before you "sell it," try some different amp settings, and/or even different amps! LP's and Marshalls are

a match made in Heaven! And, you don't have to get a "stack" to get that wonderful tone, either. What amp

are you using, now?

Mike Bloomfield used a Fender Twin Reverb, with ALL the bass turned off. The mids and treble were

(basically) either "flat out," or near enough. He controlled the "bite" depending on volume, with the

bright switch, a lot of the time (or so I've read). I tried that, will my LP and it works really well!

So...don't give up, too soon.

CB

I play using a Vox Vt30 and a Marshall avt20 Limited Edition Model. Im gonna try messing around a bit more with the bass and mids and what nots and see where I get.

Mark Bloomfield is one crazy looking dude, love his music love the soul he puts into the playing, thats a gift !!

Change the strings. Nickle plated steel strings are brighter than nickle round wounds and stainless are brighter still. Next, try lowering the pickups and raising the individual adjustment screws.

Are you using a bunch of effects or a long cable between the guitar and amp? Both can rob highs & clarity.

Gary

Ive adjusted the pickups and still no luck. I could almost play Bass with this baby haha Will see what Sheeans say on Saturday, fingers crossed !

I use to use EB super slinkys on my all my other guitars, Had a look at those EB titanium one's and thinking about getting them!? . But if you've got any recommendations ?

1. Put the amp on a stand - even if you don't have one, get it up off the floor. Set it on a chair if necessary. And move it out away from the wall at least a meter.

2. Remove the back from the amp.

Those should take away all that bass bloom, which is what I think the problem is.

Never had a bassy sound since the day I bought mine. I run it through a Marshall amp with a eq and a tube booster. Nice sound. But it is a bit more rock and rollish compared to my strats. The strats are pure treble and to me needs to be a but more bassy. I use active pickups ( gilmour pickups and wiring) on my strats. More of a nicer sound.

Took my guitar to Sheaan's on Saturday and getting it setup, The tech guy there said the neck was bending (didn't say which way) but will sort out the sound after its all sorted !! hooray !! Also got some of those new titanium strings put on, Im a slinky fan haha. So hopefully all sorted. Thanks again all. Should have my guitar back next couple of days.

So, without doing any adjustments to the pups you think it sounds bassy, and others think strings or a new amp will help, wow.

How about adjusting the pup height or individual pole piece height on the pups - I'm pretty sure adjusting the pups will have some effect on the sound of your guitar.

Archived