Gibson Brands Forums

happy birthday Ace Frehley...

acewarslave

The guitarist who made me want rocknroll alnight was ace frehley ,just love kiss are they still touring in the states..if youve got a good kiss concert or any other story id love to hear it..i finally got to see kiss in 2000 over here in australia oh.. the memories=d>

Kiss was my favorite band in Jr./High School.

I was in the 8th grade; must have been 1976. Destroyer had just come out. I thought Kiss was stupid.

I went over to a friends house and he played some of the album for me. I loved it as soon as I heard the first song.

The next day I went out and bought their first 3 albums (Kiss, Hotter than Hell, Dressed to Kill).

The Summer of '76 I listened to those albums and became a huge fan.

Ace Frehley was one of the most underated guitarists around in that era, IMO. In fact, I think the whole band was underated. Many just saw the makeup and stage show, and couldn't get past that to really appreciate the music.

IMO Chris was not that important to the band. Gene and Paul wrote most of the songs, and sang. Ace was the lead player. Chris was a good drummer. But his love for the bottle/drugs did him in.

I got into Kiss via Weezer. The lead singer Rivers Cuomo is a massive Kiss fan and references them in his songs and his choiceof guitars/lightening bolt strap. Ace Frehely made Kiss... not the same without him!

1zf63xc.jpg

And playing a very early Coronet:

Epiphone_Coronet__73b.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender

This is the guy that made me fall in love with the heritage cherry sunburst les paul.

truth be told Id have rather have bought his signature model back when i was looking for an upgrade from my very first electric.

but, still, the LP standard+ that i bought was cherryburst, so it still paid homage in a sense.

This guy kicks ***.

thanx for the replies fellas im always puzzled that in some magazines they refered to kiss as the utimate in bad taste ,got me pissed and still does kiss shows are great,and i agree with brad ace was one of the most underated guitarist of the era..pity ace and peter got into the substance abuse though..love my ace frehley epi...

Saw them way back in the early stages of thier act...small club that couldn't have held more than about 150 people.

Four of us went and when we walked in...didn't know what to think about all that make up. That club is now a 3rd rate stripper bar where all the old worn out strippers go, ugly bunch!

It use to rock tho back in the day.

There were 3 of those clubs back then, the matador, beacons by the sea, and the big name bands went to boss hardware. Some good memories...and a few good ones I wish I could remember!! LOL

Capt

Guest icantbuyafender

Forgot to mention something I've needed to say for a very long while:

Tommy Thayer is a boot-licking punk!

Saw them way back in the early stages of thier act...small club that couldn't have held more than about 150 people. That club is now a 3rd rate stripper bar where all the old worn out strippers go' date=' ugly bunch![/quote']

You sure that isn't just the Kiss reunion tour? LOL j/k

It seems most people either love Kiss or just hate them. For me, Ace was one of my very first guitar heros. some don't like the make-up and stage show but I was fascinated by it all.

Ace and Peter were my favs, Gene and Paul are both pri*ks, but it takes them all to be Kiss. I had the chance to go see " Kiss " a couple years ago but chose not to as it was only Gene and Paul and a couple of imposters.

Guest icantbuyafender
Bruuuuuuce! Can't blame them for replacing a guy who was a fall down drunk - the rock must go on!

BruceKulickScream.jpg

getting kicked out of a Rock 'N Roll band for being a drunk....

hmm. #-o

.... oh irony ... he was just too rock 'n roll for kiss.

Not really a KISS fan (understatement), but I had the priveledge to help assemble the stage at Tiger Stadium for their reunion tour in the late 90's. It was pretty massive and took all week to put up and 24 hours to tear down. The catered food was decent. Not the best I've had, but decent.

My most vivid memory of it was the middle aged, overweight, cola drinking knuckleheads complaing about "monkey butt" all day. I still laugh at that. WATER - It is your friend!

Oh, I didnt go to the show. They promised free passes for the crew and then reneged at the last minute...at the door.

Acewarslave, I've been admiring that Frehleyesque collection of Les Pauls in your avatar. So...

When are you going to get a strobing light version?

And....have you bought any of those smoke bomb pickups? I've seen them somewhere for sale but can't remember where.

Check out this cool link about Ace's extended solos:

http://acelp.homestead.com/Smokers.html

thanx for the link there alanH i will be going back to enjoy some of the vids' date='never really got into the smoke bomb stuff,still i love it when ace does[-o< [/quote']

Have you bought Kissology Volumes 1, 2 and 3 yet? Those vids are all on these discs as full concerts.

I had to order them from the states as region 1s and do a search on how to hack my DVD player for multi-region use.

It was well worth it. Volumes 1 and 2 are especially good.

Alan

naa i havent bought those but iv got the guitar case ltd cd collection paid $400.00 for it seems the price of these are starting to clime if u can get them..

The Kissology DVDs are basically the official releases of the concert footage and interviews/clips they have stored in the 'vaults' i.e. Gene and Paul's pension plan.

Each volume has 3 - 4 DVDs in it. They're amazing!

It looks like Volume 1 is finally being released in a UK region 2 version (after nearly 2 years). What region do you have in Aus?

Archived