Gibson Brands Forums

I need a part......

Eighthnote

Some really nice people including a couple of you have sent me a couple of these but they will not fit my G1275 Custom. I'm looking for a black pick-up switch top. Just the threaded rubber part. Not the switch itself. The ones I have found so far look exactly like the other two on my guitar but the threaded hole is always bigger than the one I need. I am going to take one to work and get an accurate measurement on the thread size. (if I can find the correct metric screw) If I can't find the right screw I'll take a pair of Dial Calipers and measure the minor diameter. If any one can steer me towards an explanation as to why the thread sizes vary I'd appreciate it. Or better yet if someone knows what thread they used in 1997 for these guitars I'd be OK there too. Have a great week people and thanks in advance.

" I just stopped in to see what condition my condition was in"

I've got some. I think I just ordered two metric and two usa.

I'll take a look.

TWANG

Twang,

I sent him a metric one. I'm getting the feeling that he might have one of those enclosed box switches??? You think that might be the problem???

Jerry

I've got an old one here.. I'll check the fit.. you may be right though.

I vaguely remember taking out a box switch and fitting it's tip on another.. and it wasn't working.

I think I assumed the new switch was usa..

good goin!

TWANG

I've got some. I think I just ordered two metric and two usa.

I'll take a look.

TWANG

Who here is surprised that Twang had these ? LOL ! I fully expect to see Twang drive up at " Epiphest " in an old truck, looking like " Mr. Haney ", with a truck bed full of spare parts ! We love ya Twang !

Who here is surprised that Twang had these ? LOL ! I fully expect to see Twang drive up at " Epiphest " in an old truck' date=' looking like " Mr. Haney ", with a truck bed full of spare parts ! We love ya Twang ![/quote']

Wow! I had forgotten about Mr. Haney until now.

He would always show up in the moment of need with his truck, get out pull down the sign on the side of his truck and launch into his "Mr. Douglas I have here..............." speech.

All the ones that I have received so far have a #5-40 thread. I took one to work and the #5-40 screw fit pretty well. I'm going to take one off the guitar and take that in tomorrow. I must have been asleep when I left this morning for work. I took the wrong top with me. I'm feeling a 3mm thread here. Some guy at work told be that "aquarium sealer" would work great on this cause if I ever took the top off, the small amount of residue from the sealant would peal right off. I'd rather find the right thread but what do you folks think about plan "B"?

If the threading on a switch tip is too small then start a pan of water to boiling. When the water is boiling just drop the the tip in for about 15 to 30 seconds. Fish it out of the pan with a spoon or a fork, make sure you're wearing gloves, quickly take the tip and thread it on to the switch.

If the switch tip is too large there are a number of functional solutions that will work well. Gasket silicone (RV or whatever brand is available in your region) is just too handy for such fixes. Just a little in the tip will be enough. Once the tip is on the switch use a dry towel to wipe away any excess sealant that may squeeze out. Set the guitar aside for a day while the sealant cures. The sealant will set up and keep your tip in place.

Alternatively, a good wood glue (Elmer's Carpenter's glue, Tite Bond) mixed with some fine sawdust into a paste consistency and put into the tip with a toothpick or similar fine tool then put the tip on the switch. Wipe off any glue that squeezes out with a damp cloth (a paper towel works just fine). Again, set the guitar aside for a day while the glue mixture sets. If you put a drop or two of oil onto a cloth or paper towel and give it a minute to disperse well in the fabric, then take that and wipe the threads before putting on the tip it will prevent the glue from sticking to the metal. As the glue dries it will take the form of the threads but it won't stick . This will also work if you use epoxy instead of wood glue and sawdust. Cyanoacrylate (Super glues) come in a gel form and are great for filling gaps like that in a too large threaded tip. Again be sure to wipe the switch thread with a lightly oiled cloth to prevent the cyanoacrylate from sticking to the metal.

Use plumbers tape. The thin stuff that you wrap around threads on water faucets and shower heads. It is very thin, and works great. Also, it will not "glue your switch". It is removeable with no marks. I have an 1275 myself and had the exact same problem. A little plumbers tape: Voila', problem solved!

Archived