Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar you've owned the longest....

DJB08

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 1973 SG Standard that I had bought in February 1974 which was stolen near the end of 1980. Replaced it with a beat-up 1978 model which I've managed to hang on to...

SG.jpg

It's got Seymours in it, a Jeff Beck in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck (I've just recently swapped the white one for a black one, looks a lot better). The JB has been in there for well over 20 years.

threesgs.jpg

Got rid of the plain black tophat knobs, and popped on a set of Schaller '1960' style keystones. The bogus pickguard covers some ugly spots left there by the previous owner.

Back in '76, I was 13 and my brother was 10. We had already been taking lessons for a couple of years on my father's classical guitars. He bought us a no-name cheapo electric and a terrible combo amp.

On Christmas 1976, my parents bought us a 1976 tobacco sunburst Les Paul Deluxe. We also recieved a Marshall half stack.

My brother and I shared the Les Paul for many years, but he seems to have taken possesion of it for the last 12 years or so. It's had a variety of pickup, pots, other electronics, fret and fretboard work, etc., but it's still our first good guitar and we still have it despite both he and I buying and selling many other guitars over the years.

I had not played on a dedicated basis for about the past 16 years (I'm 46 nowdays), and just receintly decided to make it a daily hobby. Amazing how much you forget, and how fast it comes back to you.

I just bought an EPI SG G-400 '62' replica and a Vox VT-50. I'm also using a Behringer Xenty with a Stanton S.252 DJ CD tabletop . I'm having a blast with it.

My '86 Yamaha SE 350 which I bought in 1987. Fast slick neck with low action and superb stock pickups. It more than holds its own against my Gibson SG faded and my USA production Charvel.

there nice looking sgs rotcanX do you miss the 70s sg' date='reason i ask is alot of people dont like the 70s gibsons..me i love my 70s custom..[/quote']

Well, on one hand, the '78 SG is a pretty weird guitar and it's not any kind of 'cool' SG. All the same it plays very well and with the pickups I have in it plus the switching options I've wired in, it is an extremely versatile guitar tonewise. It's nowhere near as pretty as a '60s SG but nonetheless it's definitely a Gibson. Plus it has a super narrow neck profile that I find is a lot easier to play than the traditional 'Les Paul' necks are.

And no, I don't miss it; I still own it. I've since added a '65 SG Special, plus an '06 SG Classic and an SG '61 reissue to the stable but the '78 will always be special to me.

OK, here is a link to some of my guitars and a few older amps. As I said in my prior post, the Airline is a 1964 model and was my first guitar. Believe it or not, it sounds pretty good but would never stay in tune well due to the way the neck is bolted on. The pics are pretty self explanatory. One apology though. The definition is not that good. I had my son set up the camera and the originals are JPG instead of BMP. If you have any questions about any of the guitars or amps I can try to get some higher def pics.

http://www.downriverdaddyos.com/guitars.htm

Greg

my '68 gibson sg. been in the closet for a long time now. i just use my epi. les paul with the bcsguitars.com tone pots, and '57 gibson classic p/u's. if i ever figure out how to post , i would put all my guitars up. i've had the sg since 1986. sorry to plug bcsguitars, but man, there pot setup really changed my axe. i cannot put my epi. down!

acewarslave,

Yes it is. I bought it when I lived in New Orleans in 1983. At the time, I think I hit every music store in the area and played at least 40 Gibson Les Pauls. I chose the Silverburst LP Custom because it played and sounded the best of any I played. I thought the color was OK but not really too excited about it at the time. Little did I know that the color would almost double its value to collectors 25 years later. Doesn't really matter as it is still my No.1 go to guitar for both gigging and studio and I will never sell it. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it's not quite in mint condition, but its close. My only beef with it is that it is heavy. Doing a 4 or 5 hour gig with it can take a toll on your back and shoulder. The sound is stellar through the JCM 800 and the Twin.

Thanks for asking,

Greg

The guitar I've owned the longest is a Japanese Squier Strat (Lake Placid Blue) that I picked up in 1987. It was my first electric, and I played it to death. I was so proud of the fingerboard wear on the maple neck. There's just something about a guitar that has dings all over it due to playing the hell out of it.

I retired that guitar years ago, and it hangs on the wall in my music room. However, I've been seriously thinking about pulling it down and nursing it back to health.

I'd love to creep out the household by putting on a lab coat and screaming "It's alive... ALIVE!!"

Dylan

That would be this puppy rat cheer: my 1978 Peavey T-60 that I've had since 1980. It's a great-sounding, great-playing, extremely versatile guitar. It's got humbuckers splittable to single coils plus a pickup phase switch, so it does pretty much everything I could ever want from a strat or a Tele, while also having a whole spectrum of rich, fat humbucker tones. Until 2002 it was my only electric, but then, you know, GAS.

PeaveyT60.jpg

The guitar that I have owned the longest is a celebrity made by ovation jumbo round it is the same color as an lp silver burst. it was my first nice guitar that my Dad got me in 92. here about 3 months ago i took stock and considered retiring(jessica) she has been through a lot she has been all over the world(Japan, Hawaii, Australia, Thailand, Iraq, and all over the US) she now has a realy craked finish and drywall screws in her body(youthful inexperience). and a well worn fret board, but still sounds badass!!! havn't found many guitars to match. Retirement was the best option, well I was on ebay searching for lp's and came across an identical color and body style but an actual Ovation. I made an offer and got it for 2 bills. when I got the guitar I couldn't believe how pristine the condition and when I dated the guitar I found it was made in 77 It was hard to believe that this guitar is 30+ years and looks better than my jessica. so I aptly named my new one jessi and the twins are doin great. in a pic the only way to tell them apart without close inspection is jesse bein a few years older has the green hugh toit like the older lp silverburst. these guitars are where most if not all of my writing creativity comes from until I plug into and lp.

The oldest gibson I ever owned which I so stupidly sold from lack of knowledge was a Sonic 180 deluxw from like 83 and a Gisbson SG from the 70s. got them as a two for one. I played this and loved it cuz I couldn't afford and lp. the way these things are priced today I should have kept it. I thought it was TV yellow but after some research I found that the white ones often turned yellow with age. a number of years ago I took the guitar into a pawn shop cuz needed money. the owner acted like he had never heard of it with a great amount of complaining took it off my hands. i got back on my feet and went back a couple of weeks/months later and the owned had it on the wall with an almost auction like sale on it at around 900 dollars. boy did I feel dumb at this point. I learned my lesson from that day that I will never sell any of my mainstay guitars ever again. don't care how broke I am. one of my closest friend got the SG and to this day if he still has it most likely has no clue of its hidden value, it was a custom and a damn ugly one, it was some kind of aquateal. it was the uglier of the two so he got it.

My worst Gibson story was right before my second son was born in 97. I had just got comfortable money wise to make a major purchase for my birthday/fathers day gift. the wife then now the X and this is one of the reasons didn't want me to get a harley so I got an ebony LP custom, about 3200 dollars worth and loved it. that is until my wife tried to pull one over on her work and got fired. needless to say the Gibson ended up with the short end of the stick. I got 850 bucks for an immaculate lp custom. I know have an epi copy of this guitar because I can't afford the real deal. But now that I trimmed the slag off my life(like I said there is a few good reasons why she is the X!!!!). now all my guitars have a decent home and if there ever comes a time where I have a stupid thought like hocking any of badass hard earned equipment my bassist and brother in arms has strict instructions to take all guitars and equipment to an undisclosed location to be returned at a later date when I stop acting stupid. love friends hate losin guitars. youcan never have to many guitars.

The guitar I have owned the longest is a classical guitar I bought in Spain in 1974 in some little shop in Madrid. It was a middle to low end guitar, doesn't have the greatest action, lovely tone. I've pretty much stopped playing it as I hated having to tune it every five minutes (nylon strings really stretch!).

Archived