Gibson Brands Forums

Parents in Europe....

Gibson CS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife went to visit her mom in Phoenix one time for a church conference, leaving me with rum and coke, and my 100 watt Carvin MTS3212 tube combo amp and my tube-driven Digitech GSP-21D (with a high-gain 12AX7 tube!). Monster tone ensued until I was drunk enough to consider laying on the floor waiting on the world to stop spinning as "fun"!

Tell that to Fogerty' date=' Springsteen, Mellencamp, Raitt, Willie Nelson, etc.....

[/quote']

and green day, and neil young.

but then again, who listens to lyrics

im only here for the guitar solos

#-o

Tell that to Fogerty' date=' Springsteen, Mellencamp, Raitt, Willie Nelson, etc.....

THAT'S why they don't get my money.[/quote']

I realize I am stirring the pot here, Neo, but.... Is the problem that the artists you mention mix politics into their music or that they mix liberal politics into their music? In other words are you against all politics in music or are you just against their politics? Respectfully curious... (don't shoot me, bro) #-o

Personally, I tend to fall into the "what lyrics?" camp myself. Half the time I don't know or care what they are saying so long as the melody and rhythm (and of course the guitars) sound good! I am glad though to live in a society where these guys are free to say what they want, and we are free not to listen if we so choose. (Or as you said not to purchase)

and green day' date=' and neil young.

but then again, who listens to lyrics

im only here for the guitar solos

#-o [/quote']

And that's why we don't listen to Green Day.

Green Day actually used to be good, like their old songs, but since the 2000's with their whole emo thing...... #-o

Is the problem that the artists you mention mix politics into their music?

If you guessed I'm not a Liberal....

:-)

How many times has this formula played out for them?

Artistic musician type plays bars' date=' clubs, street corners until he gets a paying gig.

Most never had a job of any REAL merit.

[b']If[/b] they have an advanced education, it likely did not include any real political enlightenment.

Get a record deal, get lucky, sell lotsa records, play lotsa tours.

They finally get some cash in their pocket and time on their hands, then the White Guilt kicks in.

Now they are embarrassed at their good fortune and endeavor to save the world.

Martyr syndrome kicks in....

They find they can say anything (read from the phonebook, or whatever) and the media gives it profound meaning.

They start to believe the stupidity all their "friends" and employees tell them.

Bono goes to the UN telling the world the US should forgive foreign debt, where's HIS money?

Crusaders want to feed the starving (because all the rest of us are evil and want them to die) and they want EVERYBODY else to pay for it.

They want to save the whales, push global warming, etc, and NONE of their "answers" will hold water.

They go to play a concert in front of 100,000 people, do a lame half-*** set and start preaching from the stage.

WE are expected to give our money, vote for our taxes to be raised, and let regulation cripple the businesses we work in.

Question;

Where did they gain this worldly knowledge and problem solving ability?

Nobody challenges them, and they have enough money to rermain isolated from any reality.

I bought everything Mellencamp put out up thru his initial FarmAid years.

I loved his music and agreed in principle with the farmer's plight.

After it became POLITICAL and nothing else, I closed my wallet.

Your dollars "vote" these idiots to their pulpit.

Linda Ronstadt got booed a couple years ago in Tucson AZ when she played a rare show with expensive tickets.

Her most devoted fans paid big bucks to see her play live again, and she started into an anti-war rant.

People started leaving in droves and demanded their money back. I would have been at the front of the line.

As long as an artist tells me up front they will be making political statements from the stage before I shell out my money...

It's not just a Liberal thing.

Ted Nugent (I LOVE the Nuge!) does it a little, though I agree with his politics I don't think it's appropriate.

Let's get away from politics before this thread gets slammed shut.....

+1 - I appreciate the honest reply. And I agree about the tirades. Shut up an play! Or at least put it in the lyrics (which I will most likely ignore anyway!) #-o I also think some of the artists mentioned seem to be in musical decline - maybe they should be focusing on songs instead of politics!

Here's one I have wondered about though... Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special." It's really an anti-gun rant, no?

(One loaded with great sounding Gibson guitars, btw). Do they get the same treatment as say, Mellencamp?

No $ from you, etc? My father-in-law loved Skynyrd and that song AND he was licensed a gun dealer like you. Always wondered about that one.

On final thought on politics/music (much of it played on Gibsons)... Without politics is there any punk rock? Sure there were a few love songs but it was mostly driven by politics, no?

Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special." It's really an anti-gun rant' date=' no?[/quote']

No.

You're from the south, you KNOW there was more to that song than just being anti-gun.

Commenting on the culture, the ease at which people get cold-blooded and kill over nothing.

Could have just as easily been called Mr. Louisville Slugger or Mr. Craftsman claw hammer with the same Gibson licks.

Also, they put it in a song.

No mystery there, song is on the radio and will surely be played live - no surprise...

There were many social, cultural and political references in their great catalog of music, and very balanced.

Offered as a veiled opinion missed by many, and open-minded enough to be inoffensive to those that got it.

Do they get the same treatment as say' date=' Mellencamp? [/quote']

They shouldn't. They NEVER went on any rant during a show, and NEVER made political appearances.

They dabbled a little in Alabama politics for real, and kept the music apart from it for the most part.

Mellencamp and those clowns are crusaders. They don't "speak" to me anymore....

Gibsons)...

Without politics is there any punk rock?

Sure there were a few love songs but it was mostly driven by politics' date=' no? [/quote']

Sure, and you knew it as soon as you heard the songs, no?

If they come to your town and you wanna give 'em money, it's the same as casting a vote for them.

Do you want THEM to speak for you?

Enough votes ($$$) in their pockets means they can pull a Dixie Chicks on you.

They should have been stripped of their citizenship in my humble opinion.

Something I just got up, I haven't had a chance to add much to it yet. www.neoconman.com

Wanna know how I really feel? It'll give you an idea - if you care. (Nobody said you had to...)

people who interject politics into every conversation they can are pathetic.

Hmmmmm.....

The idea of my post' date=' and those that followed, was that I feel [b']exactly[/b] that same contempt for musicians who do it.

I'm sure there are MANY who feel that way about me.

Especially when they find they are out-gunned and over-matched.

That's why I finally focused some of my talent and excess energy into my own website....

who cares about politics' date=' just listen to the music.[/quote']

I could have DOUBLED the size of my guitar and gun collection with what I paid in taxes just for 2007.

But you're right, the music is cool.

Rock out gentlemen!

And that's why we don't listen to Green Day.

Green Day actually used to be good' date=' like their old songs, but since the 2000's with their whole emo thing...... :-k [/quote']

I hate when people say that, its a lie.

There music doesnt have emo lyrics, but for American Idiot, they damn sure dressed like emos...thank god they came out with Foxboro Hot Tubs, 60's Rock n Roll styled music side project.

They've seen the light!

Holy cow Kenny got a new avatar! btw' date=' does the government put income taxes on 14 year olds?[/quote']

Of course.

If you don't make much, most of it is refunded at the end of the year.

On the other hand, if you make $100k you'll get to keep about half of it.

Fair enough, eh?

You have to be RICH to live like you're middle class if you avoid debt.

To live like you're rich, you have to be filthy stinking rich, and that only lasts until you are taxed out of liquidity.

If you are lucky, you can still afford mascara and eye liner after the hit records stop coming...

Cool avatar Kenny!

....hm... eusa_think.gif

...Marshall + Gibson Les Paul + A kid (plus his friends with very similar configurations)= Jonas Brothers

So' date=' are you becomming one?

:D/ [/quote']

nyaarghhh no!jonas brothers a complete waste of Gibson LP customs and other gibson goodies

Archived