Gibson Brands Forums

Combo or Head

Is there any downside to to the Valve Jr. Combo as compared to the Head only? Seems like if everything else is equal it would be worth the 50 bucks extra for the combo even if you wanted to add a separate cabinet later. Thanks.

David

I thought the same as you and i went for the combo in the end as it was only £10 more exspensive. I found that the speaker in the combo was a really good match for this amp and i tried it with my combo amp and it sounded thin and crap to be honest. I dont see any advantage of head really. Well unless you want it smaller? I sat the combo on top of my other amp and it was fine.

The only thing you can do with the head that the cab cant do is you can modify the head into a stand alone reverb tank.

But id go for the combo def!

I prefer closed cabinets and 12" speakers. I would literally never use the 8" speaker in the combo, so for me, it would just be dead weight to carry around. If you can handle playing through that small speaker, and don't have a specific cabinet preference, the combo will work just fine.

Thanks for the input. Due to a promo code the head/cab package was only 30 bucks more than the combo at Musicians Friend so I went that way. Looks cool as hell too. David

You won't regret that decision. The 12" closed back sounds MUCH better than the 8" open. Some folks have figured out how to squeeze a 10" in there, but it requires irreversible surgery. With the sep. head you can search this site for instructions on how to wire up a 2nd cab and make it a mini stack too. I expect to do that one of these days, along with a beefier OT, and other fun mods....

I believe this is an open back cabinet ...

Now that's interesting because mine is a fully closed back cab.

An added benefit of the head is the 4, 8 & 16 ohm outputs.

Anyway, I had the same dilemma as the OP and ended up buying both a combo and a head and cab (both were on special for half-price). I do prefer the head & cab.

I like the 8" speaker at bedroom level... it's not the tone monster it is with the 12" but it's very nice and the smallness of the sound works with jamming with the stereo.

A good combination to my ear is the 8" combo and the 12" speaker run off the same amp.

You have to have one 8ohm and one 4ohm to do that, so the stock stuff wont work.

I have an 8" ohm in my 12" cab and I have a combo as well as a head.. so I get to play with all the variations.

I have another 12" cab, and I've wired them up so I could use both 12"s at once. Didn't like it nearly as much as the 8/12 combination.

If you want what the 8" does, it's a good choice, too.

my usual set up is: head/12"cab.

TWANG

mrjones mentioned converting a head to a reverb tank, has anyone here done the Bitmo reverb mod to a VJR head?

If so how do you like it, I've seen a few cheap heads on CL and was just wondering........................

You won't regret that decision. The 12" closed back sounds MUCH better than the 8" open. Some folks have figured out how to squeeze a 10" in there' date=' but it requires irreversible surgery. With the sep. head you can search this site for instructions on how to wire up a 2nd cab and make it a mini stack too. I expect to do that one of these days, along with a beefier OT, and other fun mods....[/quote']

a-hem...

478567.jpg

did you say closed back?

i think you might be referring to blackheart there... their cabinet is closed back...

EDIT: don't you just love it when i fail to read all of the posts prior to mine, and try to make a point when it's already been realized by the person who I'm trying to make it to?

I like the 8" speaker at bedroom level... it's not the tone monster it is with the 12" but it's very nice and the smallness of the sound works with jamming with the stereo.

A good combination to my ear is the 8" combo and the 12" speaker run off the same amp.

You have to have one 8ohm and one 4ohm to do that' date=' so the stock stuff wont work.

I have an 8" ohm in my 12" cab and I have a combo as well as a head.. so I get to play with all the variations.

I have another 12" cab, and I've wired them up so I could use both 12"s at once. Didn't like it nearly as much as the 8/12 combination.

If you want what the 8" does, it's a good choice, too.

my usual set up is: head/12"cab.

TWANG[/quote']

hmm...

what about 15" jensen neodymium?

(mwahahaha!!!)

Archived