Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

lpfan

OK I finally got a Fender Strat. Its a mexican but man its nice! The neck and the frets are great, and the finish is beautiful. I traded these 2 squier teles for the strat

DSC_1653.jpg

DSCF4698.jpg

DSCF4699.jpg

DSCF4701.jpg

I am going to replace the white pickguard with a pearloid pickguard and change the pup configuration from H/S/S to S/S/S eventually. If anybody out there wants to make a trade on the pickups send me a PM.

The tele on the left was an "affinity series" squier. They cost anywhere between $150-170 new. It looks nice and I really liked the guitar but this strat is by far a better guitar than those 2 squier tele's. This was a case of quality vs. quantity. However there are alot of squiers that are better than some fender's but this was not the case. I am happy with my deal, thats all that matters right? And yes, humbuckers do not belong on strats. They might allow it to be more versatile but I just don't get the same vibe as a do with the 3 single coil pup's.

I have a 2006 MIM Strat with the upgrades and for the price, they're one of the better guitars out there today. Mine is also a Sunburst with the Rosewood fretboard and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Here's a picture of it!Mynewsetup002.jpg

Yep, nothing wrong with a Mexican Strat. I say it all the time, but an American doesn't offer enough over the Mexican to warrant the huge step up in price. The previous model Mexican guitars, and the current models are fantastic guitars.

Maple neck is nice too. Get a tortoiseshell pickguard on it. And yed, get rid of that damn humbucker.

Thanks everyone.

Jeffo46- damn thats a nice looking strat youve got there. I love the pickguard on yours, looks great! I also want to get a black strat w/a rosewood fretboard and a pearloid pickguard with the 3 single coil pups too.

I don't know what your budget is for pickups, but you've

got to give the Samarium Cobalts a listen. I upgraded to these and they are

an excellent Strat pickup. Brilliant, yet warm in the bridge, bluesy in the neck position

and nice all the way around. More tone variation than any other Strat

pickup I listened to. And extremely quiet. No nasty hum or hiss.

Hey CB' date=' if you read this thread please post some pics of the strat your mom bought you. That is the nicest looking strat I have ever seen![/quote']

OK...talked me into it! ;>) LOL! 1964 Fender "L" series Stratocaster (3-tone sunburst) Purchased new ($280.00 w/case)

by my dearest Mom, for my 14th Birthday. The only real "wear" it has, is on the back of the neck (as shown in photo). All

original parts (except the 3-way switch was changed to a 5-way, in the late '70's, and the back plate was replaced, at some

point, late '60's...if I remember right.)

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

CB

By the way LPfan...congrats on your new Strat! Mexican made or American made...the majority of workers, for Fender, are of Mexican descent, anyway!

So...no biggie! The MIM Strats I've seen are great! I especially like their "Classic" series...'50's, 60's, etc. And, the facility in Ensenada Mexico is "State of the Art,"

anyway...just like Corona. Enjoy!

CB

CB, you have the nicest strat I have ever seen! I love that guitar, wait I love all of your guitars! LOL! Yeah I'm pretty happy with my MIM Strat. Like you said, the majority of workers are Mexican descent. Maybe they should have a sticker that says "Assembled in the U.S.A. by Mexican Americans or American Mexicans". Speaking of Corona, it does taste better when its in Mexico. Don't know why but it does. Maybe its more fresh or something. Here's the proof:

cancun119.jpg

I think George Lopez once said "We're Mexi-CAN not Mexi-CAN'T". I have heard that some of the Mexican Strats are as good as the American Strats after a few minor upgrades.

Thanks, LPfan...it's the one guitar I'll never sell. Been offered a BUNCH of money, for it...but, it's worth

to me, is far more than monetary. I've seen, and continue to see, a lot of nice "Strats," over the

years, but you know what "they" say: "You never forget your first!" And, luckily, I don't have to. ;>)

CB

Thanks' date=' LPfan...it's the one guitar I'll never sell. Been offered a BUNCH of money, for it...but, it's worth

to me, is far more than monetary. I've seen, and continue to see, a lot of nice "Strats," over the

years, but you know what "they" say: "You never forget your first!" And, luckily, I don't have to. ;>)

CB [/quote']

Charlie, that Strat is phenomenal. And someday, it can be your retirement fund!

I shudder to think what a '64 (I was one year old or less!) in that kind of near-mint condition is worth.

OK, just for the heck of it, I did a quick google search. I have no idea how old this info is, but:

Here is the Blue Book general info:

Mint $24,000

Exc.+ $18,500

Exc. $14,500

Avg.+ $12,000

Avg. $9,500

General $7,000

Damn! Aren't you glad you didn't put a Floyd Rose on it when you were a teenager? =D>

The tele on the left was an "affinity series" squier. They cost anywhere between $150-170 new. It looks nice and I really liked the guitar but this strat is by far a better guitar than those 2 squier tele's. This was a case of quality vs. quantity. However there are alot of squiers that are better than some fender's but this was not the case. I am happy with my deal' date=' thats all that matters right? And yes, humbuckers do not belong on strats. They might allow it to be more versatile but I just don't get the same vibe as a do with the 3 single coil pup's.[/quote']

Oh, I'm not trying to say you made a bad deal. Just nice to have a Strat AND a Tele!

Post pics when you swap that PU.

Oh' date=' I'm not trying to say you made a bad deal. Just nice to have a Strat AND a Tele!

Post pics when you swap that PU.[/quote']

Yeah I know, it would be nice to have a strat and a tele. I am planning on getting another tele, I'm just gonna wait for the right deal. I have been really lucky with all the deals I have gotten this year on guitars. I will be sure to post the picks when I get it done. Thanks.

Gord - Thanks. I know there are some great MIM, MIJ, and USA Fenders are there are also some bad ones of each. I just love the way the neck feels on this thing, its FAST and very comfortable. It is spoiling me because I'm used to the necks on my Gibson and my Epi's. Those necks feel great too, I'm not knocking them at all, but the strat neck is just different. I really don't care if a guitar is mexican, japanese, asian, american, alien or whatever. They are all just chunks of wood with strings. I believe that a great guitar player can make a cardboard box with a rubberband sound good but thats just my thoughts.

BTW have you seen the new American Fenders? It looks like someone sprayed high gloss enamel on the fretboard, it looks like a cheap toy. Almost like they are trying to make them look like Guitar Hero guitars. I don't like the new necks at all.

Gord - Thanks. I know there are some great MIM' date=' MIJ, and USA Fenders are there are also some bad ones of each. I just love the way the neck feels on this thing, its FAST and very comfortable. It is spoiling me because I'm used to the necks on my Gibson and my Epi's. Those necks feel great too, I'm not knocking them at all, but the strat neck is just different. I really don't care if a guitar is mexican, japanese, asian, american, alien or whatever. They are all just chunks of wood with strings. I believe that a great guitar player can make a cardboard box with a rubberband sound good but thats just my thoughts.

[b']BTW have you seen the new American Fenders? It looks like someone sprayed high gloss enamel on the fretboard, it looks like a cheap toy. Almost like they are trying to make them look like Guitar Hero guitars. I don't like the new necks at all[/b].

Seriously? "Heavy Gloss" on ALL the New Fender USA models??? Or, just the maple fingerboard, "Classic" (50's) versions?

Gosh, if that's true, lpfan...that's not good news...IMHO. ;>b

CB

I'm not sure exactly what model it was but I know it was a new American Strat. The guitar was nice but the neck was just shiny, even the metal frets were shiny like they had the gloss on them and the gloss looked THICK. Almost like it had been poured on the neck and sort of puddled. Its not at all what I would have expected. Does my description make sense? I was just really dissapointed.

Well, if it was one of the "Classic" models ('50's Tele or Strat), they used to come with gloss fret boards (Nitro lacquer)

as standard finishes, as did the originals. Rickenbacker still does that, on most of their models. So, it's nothing new, really.

But..if it's on really Thick, "encased in plastic" looking...and in Poly...that, would be unfortunate, again...IMHO.

CB

I'm gonna assume it must have been one of the "Classic" models and I would hope that it will wear thin pretty quickly since its nitro but man it just lokked so thick that it looked "encased in plastic" like you said. That would be the best way to describe it.

Archived