Gibson Brands Forums

A Death In The Family

Sjael

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Today, in a tragic turn of events, my Les Paul Prophecy EX met it's untimely end.

For whatever reason, it fell from it's stand, face-first onto the floor. The neck is broken clean through under the second fret. It's not a break I'm willing to repair myself, and it's not something I can afford to get repaired right now. Being a semi-working musician I can't exactly operate one guitar down for too long either. Looks like this one's gonna be an insurance claim unfortunately. :^o

The best part is I've just more or less dismantled my Explorer to replace all the hardware with chrome stuff, so I'm now down to the Strat (which honestly, I don't like) and the acoustic. And I'm a metal guitarist! :-&

I never connected with this guitar like I did with the Explorer, but it's still profoundly saddening to see it die so needlessly, just over a year after I bought it.

Just needed a place to say this where people would understand what it's like. None of my available friends right now are musicians, so they can't understand how I feel right now.

I was always keen on a midnight Les Paul Ultra-II (I do a lot of acousticky tones too,) but they hadn't arrived in New Zealand when I was looking so I settled on the prophecy. I might end up with one of those. They look like sex and would be much better for jumping about on stage with!

~ Mike

Sj..............I'm sooooo sorry to hear that !

And as usual, the timing totally SUX too.................

Well, maybe it won't take too awfully long to get the Explorer back together, and until you do...........

Flip the 5-way to the neck p'up, and let that Strat wail !

I understand your loss and grieve for you.

But in all honesty to me, stands are meant just for temporary holding of the guitar, like at a gig or pratcice

not for it to stay there overnight and days into weeks.

I always put my guitar back in the case when I won't be using it anymore that day.

It's a scary thought to me that I could leave the house with my guitar on the stand trusting that while I'm gone no freak accident

like a couple of cats going crazy at each other right where the stand with the guitar on it is and wham. face forward she goes.

No way to stop it.

Cases are important but ****in expensive sometimes true and I hate gig bags. The Epi cases when they are on sale for $59 are the deal. Now they are $79 again.

I just couldn't imagine what you had to deal with....stomach would just drop.

You seem to be handling it really well.

But in all honesty to me' date=' stands are meant just for temporary holding of the guitar, like at a gig or pratcice

I always put my guitar back in the case when I won't be using it anymore that day.

It's a scary thought to me that I could leave the house with my guitar on the stand trusting that while I'm gone no freak accident

like a couple of cats going crazy at each other right where the stand with the guitar on it is and wham. face forward she goes.

No way to stop it.

Cases are important but ****in expensive sometimes true and I hate gig bags. The Epi cases when they are on sale for $59 are the deal. Now they are $79 again.

[/quote']

ok mom............

But in all honesty to me' date=' stands are meant just for temporary holding of the guitar, like at a gig or pratcice

No way to stop it.

[/quote']

Oh don't get me wrong, I have a case for it, and it goes back in when I'm not planning on using it anymore, I actually put it down and left the room to get a drink, and when I came back I found it like that. I'm guessing it was my cat or something. Bleh.

Sorry to be so late with this, Sjeal ... what a genuine bummer!

I love my two Prophecy's and I would be devastated if anything happened to them. Sice you say you never really bonded with it, I guess the bright side is that you can get something else with that insurance pay-off. What's it gonna be ... Schecter, Ibanez ... how about a Minarik, you C&C fan, you?

I will admit here and now that all of my guitars are either on a 7 guitar rack, individual stands, or wall hanging. I guess that means I'm asking for trouble too, but I like having them handy and easy to grab. Even the two I bring to the show ... as soon as I get home its out of the case, wipe 'em down and back on the stand!

Jim

Unfortunately Minariks are a few thousand out of my price range, Jim [-X (We're talking NZD, here)

I'm also slightly startled that you know Claudio plays a Minarik, either you've done some research or you remembered Cat's post about it a while back. Or I completely missed a thread about it recently.

Alas, I'm not 'in the money' so to speak, so I'm looking at replacement value on the Prophecy. I really do love Les Pauls though, so right now it's a toss-up between an Alpine White Custom and a Midnight Ebony Ultra-II. Leaning towards the Ultra right now, as the slim satin neck will feel a lot more at home to me after the prophecy, and the chambering will be a literal weight off my shoulders! I've heard told a couple of times that it doesn't quite pack the solid Les Paul punch though which may be problematic. I guess I'm gonna have to head down to the Rockshop and crank one through a marshall. Assuming they have one, of course. :/

I was once in a band with a guy who had a real Gibson reverse body Firebird bass in mint condition. It was stunning. He showed up at rehearsal one time with some homemade contraption made out of a coathanger that allowed his bass to be hung off the front of his amp - he was very proud of it.

I didn't think anything of it, none of us did. During a break he hung up his bass on that flimsy thing, and a few seconds later we all watched in horror as it fell forward and the neck broke clean off.

He eventualy got it fixed, but a bass like that is never the same with a neck repair. A year or two later it was stolen during a break-in at his apartment. He didn't make much of an effort to get it back, and I can understand why.

Insurance is a very good thing...

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ultra 2. Humbuckers for the big metal sounds, or

blues/rock, and the Nanomag for acoustic/singlecoil sounds. Or a mix of the

sounds in any combination. I love mine.

The neck is slim and fast; the satin finish on the neck is great.

18:1 Grovers top it off.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ultra 2. Humbuckers for the big metal sounds' date=' or

blues/rock, and the Nanomag for acoustic/singlecoil sounds. Or a mix of the

sounds in any combination. I love mine.

The neck is slim and fast; the satin finish on the neck is great.

18:1 Grovers top it off. [/quote']

Yeah it looks like the Ultra-II is definitely the ticket providing my insurance company give me a payout instead of just replacing it. I dunno, I love the sheer kickass-ness of 18v EMGs, but honestly, I don't like them for recording. Bit too harsh, and Les Pauls feel much more like studio guitars than Explorers do.

Archived