Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul Vs Ibanez Jem

Naradien

Hey guys, recently some people and I were having a discussion about which one is better, the Les paul or the Ibanez jem (steve vai). I play a lot of metallica and stuff, and I love the paul. It has awesome tone, very clear sound, best sustain i've heard, and is all around just awesome. But there seems to be a lot of hype over the Jem. They say "Omg Jem ownz les paul noobs. Teh jem haz tremolo and the paul don't. Teh jem haz better sustain noob. Go away" So I was wondering, which one do you guys prefer. I like the Paul, I know this is gibson forum, might be a bit biased:d/ Thanks.

Les pauls are awesome....but for shredability, I'm gonna have to go with the jem. I'm not saying you cant shred on a les paul, but when it comes to easy access of the upper register, scalloped frets, and super fast neck, there is really no contest.

Apples and oranges, eh?

Heard lotsa good stuff about the Ibanez stuff, they certainly established a market for themselves.

I had a cheapo years ago. It was like a $10 guitar with a Floyd Rose in it so I'm a little biased against them.

Well, that and I'm simply an American guitar snob....

Hah!

:-)

No doubt about that. Since I dont gig anymore, I pick a guitar by what feels right, sounds right, and has the mojo. You can shove the names, reputations, and "desirability" up the old south orifice for what I care. I want something that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling - like an 18 year old virgin

Hey guys' date=' recently some people and I were having a discussion about which one is better, the Les paul or the Ibanez jem (steve vai). I play a lot of metallica and stuff, and I love the paul. It has awesome tone, very clear sound, best sustain i've heard, and is all around just awesome. But there seems to be a lot of hype over the Jem. They say "Omg Jem ownz les paul noobs. Teh jem haz tremolo and the paul don't. Teh jem haz better sustain noob. Go away" So I was wondering, which one do you guys prefer. I like the Paul, I know this is gibson forum, might be a bit biased:d/ Thanks.[/quote']

WTF, Is this LS-14 under an assumed name? Dude, those little red squiggly lines under a word means it's spelled wrong. You completely lost me about half way through your run-on sentences.

Besides that, I think you are asking our opinion of which is better. This is an apples to oranges question. They are both very fine instruments, it's like working on your beautiful 67 GTO with a top of the line set of SnapOn tools, only they are all metric. They work great for the right application, otherwise not so much.

This is an apples to oranges question. They are both very fine instruments' date=' it's like working on your beautiful 67 GTO with a top of the line set of SnapOn tools, only they are all metric. They work great for the right application, otherwise not so much.[/quote']

Awesome analogy!

The Jems are too prissy for my taste. Now the RG550 on the other hand just plain rocks. And yes' date=' my son has it now, (for those who remember my previous post) but I enjoy playing those 80s riffs on it.

[img']http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj111/Silverbursted/2628658987_74b4e6cec8_b.jpg[/img]

Hey! we have the same carpet and wall spackle!....same base boards too...

Archived