Gibson Brands Forums

Stop me

Gibson CS

Ok, today I got my first paycheck,

$330

I was readin' the thread about an Ibanez Jem.

So I've been researching them, and now I really want a cheapo metal guitar.

GAS

Tell me how retarded I am, convince me not to.

Please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't stop you; I've been casually looking for much the same thing - a "super Strat" with a HSS configuration and a Floyd Rose bridge. It's getting pretty old hauling both a Les Paul and a Strat back and forth to band rehearsal and some sort of Ibanez or ESP or Jackson or whatever would fit the bill very nicely.

Axl: Ibanez makes very nice guitars that are better deals than Gibson when you look at what you get for your money. I own two Ibanez guitars and neither of them had wood chips in them.

Oww, that one is below the belt. Thats because they are not chambered. Whats the big deal with the wood chips thing now? I just asked if thats happened before and people start acting like its the end of the world. Oh noes,a bit of left over crap.

Thanks but I'll still take my "Wood Chip filled" American guitar over some Metalhead guitar...Every man to his own.

Ah I see. Excuse me but at times you come off as naive and rude, but then I suppose you're only 15. Well I have an LP too, its just not a Gibson. :)

Working towards it, though it should take me a while to get there. And oilpit, nothing wrong with JEMS. Personally I prefer Ibanez rather than Fenders. Superstrats are awesome axes. If you really wanna metal out though the RGX is the way to go in my opinion.

Naive and Rude? When am I ever rude to other members, nothing but respect. And Naive, in what areas? I know for a fact that Ibanez are made with lower quality woods...thats fact. Yeah Im still learning things about certian things, but I dont thing Naive is a word to describe it.

Yes I do relise people are not always in a finacially sound situation to buy Gibson, but I said most people have LP's here because this is a Gibson Les Paul forum.

Oww' date=' that one is below the belt. Thats because they are not chambered. Whats the big deal with the wood chips thing now? I just asked if thats happened before and people start acting like its the end of the world. Oh noes,a bit of left over crap.

Thanks but I'll still take my "Wood Chip filled" American guitar over some Metalhead guitar...Every man to his own.[/quote']

I thought the comment was warranted. You got your first Les Paul when? A week ago? And now you're going to put down other people's choices in guitars? As for the chambered thing, I have a Yamaha hollow body that was made in Indonesia and I paid $150 for it - no wood chips. The fact of the matter is that Gibson's QC is pretty crappy IMO and even my '91 Custom Shop LP has a couple of issues; for the outrageous prices Gibson charges, they should be doing a hell of a lot better job of putting these things together and taking the time to do things like blow some compressed air over the parts they cut so there aren't remnants left inside of the guitars when people buy them. Wood chips or dust inside of a guitar that expensive is just plain sloppy and negligent - something I'd expect from a $150 Indonesian guitar.

Well to be honest, like I said, why worry over left-over carvings. Really, nothing is broken, missing or effecting tone.

And the comment on Ibanez, well Ive just heard of the low quality wood and was pointing that out. If they sound fine, good! But I hear wood effects tone, and thats some bad wood (again so Ive been told)

I too have a cheap Indonesion guitar, I opened it up tonight and the insides are discusting, you got luckey I suppose, or thats just Epiphone.

I really dont know, Im just stating what I have been told. I appoligise. Back off to under my rock now..

I say that if you like it, why not. Gibson is a premier guitar maker, but that doesn't mean that there aren't others out there. Play what you like and don't worry what others think.

It's funny but when ever I read one of this "which brand is better" post I can't help but think of a segment I watched on Les Paul himself. The man was already famous and could play any premier guitar he wanted, and did, but couldn't find the sound he craved. He put a Gibson neck onto a 4"x4" block of wood and wound strings onto it, then put a cut up Epiphone body onto it just so it resembled a guitar. He played it on stage, on TV, and recorded with it never caring what anyone thought. In fact Gibson laughed at him the first time he went to them with the idea of a solid body.

Makes you wonder what we would argue about if Les Paul would have been a "Brand Snob"?

Well to be honest' date=' like I said, why worry over left-over carvings. Really, nothing is broken, missing or effecting tone.

And the comment on Ibanez, well Ive just heard of the low quality wood and was pointing that out. If they sound fine, good! But I hear wood effects tone, and thats some bad wood (again so Ive been told)[/quote']

Well, don't buy into everything you read on message boards to be the absolute truth. Tone is relative and not every guitar sounds the same (thank God) and not every guitar that sounds great is made of mahogany and has a fancy maple top; Strats are typically made from ash or alder which are both cheap woods yet Strats sound great. Just because some Japanese guitars are made from woods that aren't typical of what you'd find in more traditional designs, that doesn't mean they sound bad and they might even preferable.

I too have a cheap Indonesion guitar' date=' I opened it up tonight and the insides are discusting, you got luckey I suppose, or thats just Epiphone.[/quote']

Yamaha builds pretty nice guitars, not great but nice. Mine has some issues but it was a cheap guitar and those problems are really just cosmetic anyway.

I really dont know' date=' Im just stating what I have been told. I appoligise. Back off to under my rock now..[/quote']

No apologies necessary and don't go under a rock. :) As I stated above, don't believe everything you hear, particularly on the Internet - there are a lot of half truths and ignorance out there. The best thing to do is trust your own senses to tell you what is good or right and form your own opinion rather than counting on someone else's opinion to be truth. Question everything.

Oh Fenders, I do love them, yet Gibsons are the Holy Grail and Art to me and many people here. (I saw your post in another thread) But dang, Strats have something beautiful about them, I would own one but something about Pauls. I can see my buying a Strat to play one bands songs...Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe if I got into the lighter blues (Im more of a Slash's Snakepit Blues guy)

I just dont like the look of the specs and the look of Ibanez's. But like I said, every man to his own!

It's funny but when ever I read one of this "which brand is better" post I can't help but think of a segment I watched on Les Paul himself. The man was already famous and could play any premier guitar he wanted, and did, but couldn't find the sound he craved. He put a Gibson neck onto a 4"x4" block of wood and wound strings onto it, then put a cut up Epiphone body onto it just so it resembled a guitar. He played it on stage, on TV, and recorded with it never caring what anyone thought. In fact Gibson laughed at him the first time he went to them with the idea of a solid body.

Makes you wonder what we would argue about if Les Paul would have been a "Brand Snob"?

Well to be honest' date=' like I said, why worry over left-over carvings. Really, nothing is broken, missing or effecting tone.

And the comment on Ibanez, well Ive just heard of the low quality wood and was pointing that out. If they sound fine, good! But I hear wood effects tone, and thats some bad wood (again so Ive been told)

I too have a cheap Indonesion guitar, I opened it up tonight and the insides are discusting, you got luckey I suppose, or thats just Epiphone.

I really dont know, Im just stating what I have been told. I appoligise. Back off to under my rock now..

[/quote']

S'ok Axl. Basswood isn't "Bad Wood" any more than ash or koa. They simply generate different tones. Next time you are in a guitar store that has them, go play some of the various acoustics.... spruce tops, cedar, koa, ash... notice how the wood affects the tone. Besides.... as I believe I have stated before, it doesn't matter what guitar you put in Van Halen's hands... he is gonna sound like Van Halen. Get it?

Oil... do the research. Find one that feels, plays and sounds good, then go for it. My Ibanez acoustic is easily a much better guitar than the $249 they charged me.

Oh Fenders' date=' I do love them, yet Gibsons are the Holy Grail and Art to me and many people here. (I saw your post in another thread) But dang, Strats have something beautiful about them, I would own one but something about Pauls. I can see my buying a Strat to play one bands songs...Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe if I got into the lighter blues (Im more of a Slash's Snakepit Blues guy)[/quote']

It depends on what you're into and the sound you're after. I played only a Les Paul for around 12 years or so before I ever bought a Strat and the LP was enough. Later, I wanted some different sounds that an LP can't produce but a Strat can so I bought a Strat. Now, I just grab the right tool for the job; both are great guitars and I feel right at home on either one of them.

Try guitarcenter.com then click on used. You wont touch a gem until you have about 3000 maybe around 2000 If you get lucky with a used one. Any BC Rich/ jackson/ ltd/ prs/ or Ibanez is with-in your reach and will more than fill your craving, just go used. All these will have the longer 25 1/2" scale with the flyod rose and some really sweet necks, like the compound raduis found on the jacksons. P.S the ibanez rg's like the 550 made in japan is sweet and the 450's from Korea are nice. Also for about 450 brand new the dean cadillac is real sweet in soild mayhogany in black or the sunburst with the maple cap, just be prepared to swap out electronics and pickups with USA ones.

Hard to say; I generally think the USA models are better than most of the import lines but how much better vs. the difference in price is certainly debatable. I own two Strats that I bought at separate clearance sales - a USA 57 RI ($800) and a MIM Standard ($250) - and both are good guitars. The 57 RI is my favorite as I love the neck and it's a very lively guitar; the MIM is good but the fret ends are a little sharp and I had to do a pretty silly mod to get the D string to stop buzzing. That said, at those prices, I could have bought 3 MIM Standards for the price of one USA 57 RI. But, like all guitars regardless of where it's built and what it costs, they all vary due to wood being inconsistent so it's always best to try a good selection of various examples of any given model before buying.

Do you want an amazing American made shredder?

Peavey HP Special.

I bought the CT (Carved Top) model in Transparent Amber.

I wanted one guitar with a Floyd Rose system. This is a situation where my Lesters

couldnt help me. I checked out Ibanez, Jackson, ESP etc...

I choose the Peavey for the fantastic neck, split coil humbuckers, and the overall look of the guitar.

Check one out...youll see what I mean.

IMG_0397.jpg

Ok' date=' today I got my first paycheck,

$330

I was readin' the thread about an Ibanez Jem.

So I've been researching them, and now I really want a cheapo metal guitar.

GAS

Tell me how retarded I am, convince me not to.

Please.[/quote']

Ok Oilpit... At the risk of sounding like an old guy (but hey, I am), you said two interesting things.

1. "first paycheck"

2. "convince me not to"

Since this is your first paycheck, let me give the best advice you will ever get... take 10% of the paycheck and put it away in savings ($33). Do not touch the $33 for any reason until you are old and retire. Do the same for every paycheck you get in your entire life (put away 10%), and you will retire richer than 99.5% of everyone you will ever know.

With the remaining $297, buy whatever you like... just buy good quality of whatever that is. Probably means you should wait a while 'cause you won't get much of a guitar for that.

Peace!

Archived