Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Multiplication and Duplication

MrBlimp

Does anyone out there own a Epiphone Les Paul Standard' date=' or any other model, with [b']the Serial Number: E E 0 5 1 0 6 3 1 7[/b] ????

Is it an Epi? Is it an Epi LP? Is it an Epi LP Stdrd with...

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooo!!!

Dude..? You stepped in that with both feet...[biggrin]

Shot a couple of photos of your guitar and display them here and you'll receive your answer regarding whether or not your guitar is legit.

Photos of the front/back of the headstock and body should suffice. There are many well versed pickers on this forum so you should receive a definitive answer with the pics.

You made a mention in the other tread to the price you paid and prices other people are asking and I can tell you that the wide flucuation occurs out west also. Some people realize used guitars will sell quicker if they are well less than the cost of a new one. Other sellers try to get every nickel they can out of a sale. Used prices are all over the board on CL.

Good Luck

If you're that concerned that it's a fake, post photos.

I just looked at Sweetwater, and I saw every possible serial number - 2008, 2009, EE, no EE, wide justification, narrow justification. You certainly can't base your "real or fake" decision entirely on what the serial number looks like.

I'll have to get my digital camera out and charge up the battery. Once I do so I'll figure out how to post them.

But after reading

This is interesting stuff..........

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/beware-web-sites-722/

Peter

This article I am still believing my post in the Fake Epiphone Information thread that

. . . my gut feeling after the purchase that my '05 serial numbered guitar was too old to be so new without being a FAKE.

It COULD be new old stock' date=' but I think the earliest EE Epis are from 06, correct me if I'm wrong.

[/quote']

That's still a 3 year old guitar that looks like it is brand new, with labels, wrappers etc still on it.

OK, took the pics - how do I post them - I can not figure it out?

That's still a 3 year old guitar that looks like it is brand new' date=' with labels, wrappers etc still on it.[/quote']

Not impossible, I picked up my 2004 Explorer new from a reputable retailer earlier this year.

^ Indeed. And lets not forget the myriad of old stock guitars that our beloved RockShop (assuming you got your Explorer from there) stocks. They still have Firebirds with mini humbuckers and Les Paul Jrs with a set neck. Neither of those guitars are currently in production. So it's not impossible for a guitar to be in the store or chain for several years.

OK, I finally got it - 6 Pictures Uploaded Thanks Pete!

Here's the layout:

Top row - Left to right = Headstock Logos/Serial Number/Labels

Middle row = Neck Inlays

Bottom row - Left to right = Body with altered case logo/Body alone

headstock.th.jpg serial.th.jpg labels2.th.jpg

neckl.th.jpg

bodyi.th.jpg body2f.th.jpg

So, unless one of you notices something odd in these pictures, for 240 some odd dollars, I could very well have found someone who bought a roughly $1000.00 guitar (with case) new in either '05 or from a shop that had a '05 still in stock, that they never played, and never took the protective plastic sheets off of because they never learned how to play (I guess that isn't odd - sounds like what most of the posters on Craig's list state in their ads - bought it new, never played it, taking up space, need to get rid of it, want/need the money).

Or, it is a really nice FAKE of a guitar that was made in '05.

I don't think it is uncommon for someone to buy a guitar and not play it.

My Unsung 06 Cherry Riviera that I bought this year came the same way: plastic on the pickups and pick guard, no tarnish on the hardware. Virtually unplayed.

Those are the best finds.

From looking at your LP, the knobs look to be in the right place compared to the some of the fakes that I have seen here on the forum and from Epiphone.

Unless someone here can pinpoint what looks wrong, I stand to own a 100% Epiphone.

And again, if you like it, it plays like you want it and you got a hardshell case with it, you got a good deal.

mg

The Epiphone logo on the headstock looks too bold in its typeface and the pots are not quite dead straight on.

Could be a back door second which failed quality control beyond Epis limits of tolerance to sell as an authorised second.

Sweetwater LP standards are $499.97 so I don't know where the $1000 price from '05 comes from.

Alan

Sweetwater LP standards are $499.97 so I don't know where the $1000 price from '05 comes from.

Alan

At the time that I bought this the list price at the local Sam Ash store was somewhere between 7 & $800.00. they told me the case was close to $200.00.

I see that on the web it is currently:

List Price: $744.00

*Our Price: $429.00

* starting at

You Save: $315.00 (42%)

Sorry, case not included.

If I also remember correctly the list price was what you paid at the store because you didn't have to pay shipping for something in the store.

Free FEDEX ground shipping! was not offered in then either. If I am correct, Musician's Friend started the free shipping and the others followed in order to protect their marketshare.

list price is normally about 30% greater than retail price. That guitar has never been $1000

I think you are right - Now that I think about it the guitar was selling for high 500's - still without the case, or tax, so guessing $575, plus $200 (for the case) and tax is probably why I was remembering that $800.00 figure.

I think you are right - Now that I think about it the guitar was selling for high 500's - still without the case' date=' or tax, so guessing $575, plus $200 (for the case) and tax is probably why I was remembering that $800.00 figure.

[/quote']

$200 for a case?!??!

I don't think so.

Cheers

$200 for a case?!??!

I don't think so.

Damn' date=' your right - I just did a web search and at Sweatwater.com it was only:

Retail Price: $132.00

SAVE $52.01 (39%) WHEN YOU BUY TODAY! - - I wonder what you save if you buy tomorrow

SALE PRICE: $79.99

at Sam Ash.com:

Retail: $148.00

Sale Price: $89.00

I wonder what it goes for in the store

I recently paid $130.00 (with tax) for the no-name-brand hardshell case that I bought for my 6 string acoustic Yamaha at Guitar Center.

I could have sworn the guy at Sam Ash had told me it was close to $200.

I don't mean to be rude MrBlimp but is this thread about your vague recollection of the price of goods or do you want opinions on whether or not your guitar is genuine? I'm not sure we're any further with either topic.

I gave my opinion on the guitar on the previous page but I'd be interested to see what other people think.

Alan

Archived