Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars is too many?

NeoConMan

How many guitars is too many?

Seriously.

I was over twenty for awhile, now I'm back at an even 20.

AND....

How many ways are there to define how many is too many?

Don't need them for gigs?

Do you own guitars that you never play?

Why do you keep them?

There are collectors who do it, but what about us guitar playing blue collar guys?

I listed this Melody Maker on Ebay again and was mulling this all over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Melody-Maker-Reissue-2007_W0QQitemZ110270323158QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The reason I bought it? It was CHEAP! Less than $400 for an American made guitar with the Gibson neck.

The reason I'm selling it? I HATE the satin finish on the neck and I NEVER play it. Maybe three hours total.

The guitar is cool as hell, I love that smokin' single coil, and the tone is rockin'!

I was gonna do some mods to it, rout the body for a P-90, sand and fill the neck, and paint it something crazy.

The wife asked "Why?"

She didn't like my answer and I got "the look."

All you guys who have been married for awhile know what "the look" is.... :-)

I'm out of room, COMPLETELY out of room, and I gotta move some stuff around.

I have a couple of old American made Peaveys that aren't worth ****, but they should be.

The T-40 bass is built like a tank, certainly on par with any Fender Jazz or Precision bass, for a third the cost.

The T-60 was the first guitar Peavey ever made, and just as well as the bass. Dirt cheap on Ebay.

Mine both have natural Ash bodies to die for, the T-60 looked so nice I had a clear coat sprayed on it. Beautiful!

Ironically, it cost more to have the clear sprayed than the guitar cost me....

I'll never get my money back on it, so why sell either of them? Perfectly good guitars.

I have a late nineties Danelectro 59 DC reissue in Salmon Pink. Same style as the Jimmy Page Danelectro.

Cool as hell, very unique sound, set up for slide. Problem is, I can't play slide to save my ***.

I paid $200 for the guitar, got a killer hard case, and probably couldn't make a dime on it if I sold it. So it stays.

The rest will likely stay as well.

The reason?

Though rare, I still get these guitars out and play them. They are in fantastic condition, and replacing them would be tough.

The Melody Maker is not gonna get played without heavy mods, and I'm just not gonna spend the time or money on it.

If somebody in the forum wants it, I'll ship for free in the 48 states.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when you start having too many guitars for the same purpose

example, i need 2 les pauls

check

a strat

check

a tele

check

a guitar with high action, turned to open g

check

an acoustic

_______

i have everything i need except for an acoustic, my guitars cover all of the tonal bases, so i am set

granted i will probably sell one les paul to make room for another, but until i find that R8, i am set

when you start having too many guitars for the same purpose

I don't think I'm there yet.

Let's see....

- Gretsch Lap Steel 1959 ---- Collector piece, keeper.

- Kustom K-200 1968 ---- Collector piece, keeper.

- Peavey T-40 Bass 1979 ---- Sorta collectible.

- Peavey T-60 1980 ---- Sorta collectible.

- Fender Strat 1993 ---- First new guitar, it will go to my daughter born the same year.

- Gibson SG 12 string 1995 ---- Cold, dead hands.

- Danelectro 59 DC RI from late nineties ---- Cool sound, great for slide.

- Fender Strat HB built from all new parts in 2006 ---- 72 Tele Deluxe humbuckers in a Strat, cool.

- Fender Strat P-90 built from all new parts in 2006 ---- P-90's ROCK! In a Strat they sizzle! Very unique guitar.

- Guild Starfire III 2000 ---- Jazz box, hollow body with Duncan humbuckers and a Bigsby.

- Gibson Les Paul Classic 2001 ---- Too many Les Pauls? Are you f-ing kidding? Put in BB Pro's.

- Guild Blues 90 2001 ---- Basically a chambered copy of a 56 LP with Duncan P-90's. Unique as hell.

- Gibson 335 2002 ---- I could sell half my guitars before I let this one go...

- Fender Tele 2005 ---- A Tele is a Tele, this is the electric guitar that started it all.

- Rickenbacker 381 V69 2005 ---- There's nothing like a Rick. Very cool jangle with a big single coil snarl when cranked.

- Gibson SG 61 RI with Maestro 2006 ---- This is what an SG SHOULD be!

- Gibson EDS 1275 Double neck 2006 ---- No duplication here, and no depreciation in value either.

- PRS Custom 24 2007 ---- Ordered, and waited two years for this. Rare and unique from the factory.

- Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 2008 ---- Mini humbucker heaven in a Les Paul.

- Gibson Melody Maker 2007 ---- Why do I need this one?

For hot single coil I have a P-90 Strat, Dano 59, LP Deluxe, PRS, Guild Blues 90, even the Rick.

I can hit all around any tone I can get from a Melody Maker.

For the record, I WILL be buying more Les Pauls as cash flow allows.

The wife likes 'em...

:-)

American made guitars, any kind have to be ordered a few months in advance. And the dough required is usually enough to get a small car. Dealers also usually advice against buying American guitars as they say the wood would suffer in our climate. Warps too easily they say.

To be honest I don't understand why anyone would even WANT more than about 5

I have one, and I'm thinking about a second and that might be excessive for me.

what I would WANT

My current standard

A custom

A shredder

A strat

An Explorer or a Flying V

MAYBE another LP, MAYBE

after that I just don't understand it.

You're not suggesting I sell 15 of MINE are you?

:-)

I could take a few off your hands...........

I thought about bidding on the MM, then I came to my senses.

Do you get a lot of scam emails to send it overseas?

I put a computer up on ebay, no bids but like 12 scam emails.

pisses me off.

To be honest I don't understand why anyone would even WANT more than about 5

I have one' date=' and I'm thinking about a second and that might be excessive for me.

what I would WANT

My current standard

A custom

A shredder

A strat

An Explorer or a Flying V

MAYBE another LP, MAYBE

after that I just don't understand it.[/quote']

oh, and an acoustic or 2

Do you get a lot of scam emails to send it overseas?

Not alot, but more than I like.

Yeah, one aspect of the "How many?" thing I should have mentioned....

Abra Cadabra, you just won the lottery.

Got millions in the bank, gonna buy a house or two here and there.

You'll need a few guitars at each one, eh?

Really, how many guitars would you buy THEN?

That's what I'm after, what drives you to buy or sell and how many would you keep?

I've sold at least 15 guitars, most were turds, but a few were damned nice. The group I have now is pretty stable.

I don't think it is as easy as just putting a number on it. I buy a guitar because I want that model for whatever reason. Once I have it, it becomes of matter of do I really NEED it. The need can be defined by it's uniqueness in my collection, how often you play it, is it a collectors piece or a player, etc. I've been playing guitar so long that my NEEDS are pretty clearly defined, and I'm about to thin the heard of all kinds of gear I've been amassing since the 70's, guitars, amps, pedals and misc related stuff.

Here's is my thought process on some sell offs:

In the mid 70's I picked up a '64 Firebird III. I had to have a Firebird cause Johnny Winter, Steve Stills and Dave Mason were playing them. By the end of the 80's I never played it any more. Certainly had collectors value, was unique to my collection, but it was not being played and was just sitting in it's case. - Sold it

At one point I had 5 Strats. Nobody needs 5 Strats, especially someone who plays Gibsons almost exclusively. I decided I needed three of them. - Sold two

I'd been playing an old 335 for about twenty years. It was starting to get a little tired, so I picked up a Historic 345. After having both for a year or so I decided I no longer needed the 335. - Sold it

I've got a few vintage collector pieces, but they are all to be played. If they haven't been out of the case for a while, it's time to rethink if I need them. I've got two guitars that fit in that catagory right now that I should sell, a '69 Dan Armstrong and an Ovation Elite acoustic. Then I should be down to what I really NEED.

If you're tripping over them while walking through the house, you got too many.

If you're family is suffering financial hardships because of Guitar Payments, you got too many.

If you're storing cheap guitars because you think the market will improve, you got too many.

If you're children have to give up a bedroom so Dad can store guitars, you got too many.

Archived