Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars is too many?

NeoConMan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have probably owned over a hundred in my life. I'm currently down to 6 now, but I am gassin for another 12 string and after hearing a guy on a G&L a few nights ago, one of them is definitely on the horizon. Maybe another bass somewhere down the road.

All of my guitars get played regularly, other than my 1956 Southern Jumbo. I'm not a collector and I don't gig anymore. The ones I have are for personal enjoyment.

I was really on a collecting kick for awhile and then noticed I only played two or three of them all the time. My thought is have one for each style of music you play. A friend of mine has always had two and has them set-up exactly the same. One is his main and the other a back-up.

I'm selling some stuff (and have sold some more in the past 2 moths) because I dont really use it any more, specially since I got my Gibby and found a perfectly matching amp... the other stuff is there just "for show", and I'm getting tired of people playing them things I paid (yes as some of the other forum members, I am an asshole)

Excellent topic Neo! Really got me to thinking...

Back when I was gigging... and had very little money...

I had a #1, the '83 Strat and my #2, an original Kramer Stryker 300 ST.... I played 12 string on our acoustic sets, so I had the Hondo as well. That's 3 total. But I also had all the various accessories that went with it... a Yamaha mini KB, a full sized Moog synthesizer, various amps, mikes monitors... a couple of equipment bags for cables and power supplies and duct tape and..... My wife, daughter and I lived in a small 2 bedroom apartment. No more room = I had enough guitars.

Now, I am not gigging, just trying to get my chops back, and have expendable income....

I have 6 guitars or so, 3 amps, a mandolin, dulcimer, the Yamaha KB, a Yamaha drum machine, loaded pedal board...... and until I find a place to put another one, I have enough guitars.... (no more room.)

So I am going to hypothesize that the amount of guitars you can own before having too many is directly proportional to the amount of space you have to put them.

Anyone recomend a good wall hanger? Or, for the LP, a wall case?

[-(

If you're family is suffering financial hardships because of Guitar Payments' date=' you got too many.[/quote']

Wow, that touched a nerve with ME.

In my honest opinion, you're already in trouble if you are making a payment on a guitar.

Credit cards for guitars? Ooooohh!!!!

Well, if it's a vintage guitar and you are paying 1/3 of its market value, maybe....

Hey Neo' date=' (or should I say DAVE??) my little bro is taking up guitar and has a $350 budget on his first guitar. Would you recommend this as a good beginner guitar?[/quote']

PERFECT!

Absolutely perfect!

What makes it even more perfect is the Schaller strap locks it will have installed, and the new Gibson gig bag I'll include...

None of that cheapo beginner Strat junk tremolo outta-tune blues for your little brother. You fix him up RIGHT!

Back when I was gigging... and had very little money...

My wife' date=' daughter and I lived in a small 2 bedroom apartment. No more room = I had enough guitars.

Now, I am not gigging, just trying to get my chops back, and have expendable income....[/quote']

We bought a new house last year, and the wife has EVERYTHING in its place.

I'm allotted certain areas, if they are openly visible to visitors they must be clean, organized, free of clutter, and DUST FREE.

Hmm...... has anyone ever noticed the attraction dust has to a guitar?

She will not touch them, so it's up to me to keep my end of the bargain.

My office is getting so I can't walk in it with all the overflow, the Melody Maker is in the box leaning on my desk as we speak.

Same story here, junk guitars when I was young and jamming - never actually stayed in a band - and then gave it up while I was working, travelling, having babies, getting divorced.....

Single for awhile, good income, started replacing a few nice guitars I sold with some REAL nice guitars - and kept buying....

I say we storm his place and claim the 12 stringged SG!

it would be lots of fun!

Storm the NeoCon Compound?

The dogs are the first alert, the alarm is the second, actually breeching the wall would be no mean feat.

Then the fun would begin...

Bring your video camera, I don't share my surveillance video....

:-)

Wow' date=' that touched a nerve with ME.

In my honest opinion, you're already in trouble if you are making a payment on a guitar.

Credit cards for guitars? Ooooohh!!!!

Well, if it's a vintage guitar and you are paying 1/3 of its market value, maybe....[/quote']

I agree Neo.

If you are paying with a credit card and cant make the full paymeny when the bill comes in then

you are, for all intents and purposes going into debt to buy a guitar.

Thats a no no....at least in my book.

Storm the NeoCon Compound?

The dogs are the first alert' date=' the alarm is the second, actually breeching the wall would be no mean feat.

Then the fun would begin...

Bring your video camera, I don't share my surveillance video....

:-)[/quote']

Can't wait to see it on YouTube!

(Hell no I ain't going... don't want to risk being captured alive!)

You have too many guitars when you start GASing over guitars you already own.

HAH!!!

I read a story years ago about Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick.

On the road, on tour (and on drugs) he would hit all the guitar shops in every town they went to.

With money at his disposal, he started collecting everything he saw and instructing his guitar tech to buy it and ship it home.

Once the tour was over, he would ask his guitar tech to fetch a certain guitar, say a 59 LP.

The tech would ask "Which one?"

"The 59 LP, you know, cherryburst Standard."

"Yeah, I know, but which one?"

"You mean I have more than one?"

"Yeah, you have three."

"I do?"

"Yeah, remember? You bought this one at this place, that one at that place, the other one at the other place..."

"Hmmmm...."

Not alot' date=' but more than I like.

Yeah, one aspect of the "How many?" thing I should have mentioned....

Abra Cadabra, you just won the lottery.

Got millions in the bank, gonna buy a house or two here and there.

You'll need a few guitars at each one, eh?

Really, how many guitars would you buy THEN?

That's what I'm after, what drives you to buy or sell and how many would you keep?

I've sold at least 15 guitars, most were turds, but a few were damned nice. The group I have now is pretty stable.[/quote']

If that were the case, I would buy the exact setup for ech house... so i dont have to move things around.

I would stick with the guitars I use now, maybe buy 4 more (for each house, for symetry).

And amps too... two or three in each house, (the same 2 or 3 models, in the same settings)

Can't wait to see it on YouTube!

(Hell no I ain't going... don't want to risk being captured alive!)

Relax.....

I never intended to take prisoners. :-)

If you're still alive when the shooting stops, and behave yourself, I'll let you hang around until the Sheriff gets here!

Heh, heh....

Reminds me of that first Indiana Jones movie where the guy has the big sword, swinging it around.

Jones simply takes out his revolver and shoots him once in the chest.

Done.

The ONLY issue I see?

My wife has a revolver that only holds five rounds.

She might need me to help her if the sixth guy doesn't run for the wall - and the dogs don't get him....

:-)

Archived