Gibson Brands Forums

Pick or no picks?

narc999

I'm certain that within a single song there will be both fingerpicking and picking with a plectrum. Plenty of guitarists do it. Most have an ability to seemingly make the pick disappear, and suddenly reappear again when they want to use it. In most cases they're just skillfully hiding it in their hand, then pushing it out again with the palm or finger when they want it.

when they played acoustic guitars, that was definitely finger picking.

Not all the time.. they used acoustics on Help, I'm looking thru you, Norwegian wood to name a few. On Norwegian wood Lennon was definitely using a pick. I've also seen Harrison using a pick when he was playing Here comes the Sun on an Acoustic. It's all about the right picking technique. They ofter use a pick and fingerpicking together. perfect example would be the intro in Across the universe.

Mark Knofler is a testament to electric finger picking. Some of his fast runs prove that you can pick as fast with the fingers as you can with a pick. I've been working here and there on developing a finger picking style and the progress is slow. I get my speed up and then don't finger pick for a while and have to start over. Each time, my speed and acuracy comes back quickly, but I need to do it daily.

The major benefit to finger picking is that you can easily pick multiple notes or 3 note chords and run a bass line with your thumb at the same time. Hybrid picking is another option where you pick with the thumb and first finger holding the pick and add notes with the other two or three. Finger picking is defintely a major addition to picking style. All of us need to develop that talent.

I can manage to fimnger pick adequately, but using a pick still eludes me. Got too small a brain to manage to think about where the pick goes and where the left hand finger go at the same time i guess. While using my right hand iwthout tool just using the fingers is something i am.... more... used.... to.... hmmm that didnt come out right.

Electrics they used picks. Some exceptions are John's Travis-style finger picking on "Dear Prudence," "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," "Octopus's Garden," "Flying")

Acoustics - picks were used for the songs George and John played ("Julia" is finger picked)

Paul used picks on his acoustic playing for some songs ("I'm Looking Through You," "I've Just Seen A Face"), but for most of his acoustic playing he used a weird style of finger-picking. He just used the thumb and the back of the index finger which he brushed along the strings. If you play that way you really do get his sound perfectly.

And Jeff Beck too.

Notes

Beck is amazing. I was surprised when I saw him on Palladia on a concert video. He has remarkable speed using his fingers. I would like to reach the point where I can play as fast with my fingers as I do with a double picking technique.

My problem with picks is that I have callouses on my fingers and hands and seem to experience a lot of pick slip while I am playing. I have tried Gorilla Snot, which helps, but I don't really like the pine tar feel of that stuff. I have also tried little sandpaper appliques that are designed to put a grip on the pick. Those are probably the best, but I would eventually like to do away with the pick altogether.

Archived