Gibson Brands Forums

Possibly Fake Epiphone '56 Goldtop

Caolan96

Hey Just got my new epi '56 goldtop from the fedex guy, on opening i noticed, there is NO limited edition stamp, and the serial number contains no letters, really worried about it [cool]

Help would be greatly appreciated to put my mind at ease.

Caolan.

I bought mine from Guitr Center. (Same thing as MF). These are now "special runs" for them. Mine does not have the old "custom shop" printed on it either. But these '09 models are made in Korea. It should be a good player - mine is. Very solid with a nice beefy neck. At least beefier than a regular standard.

There is no way you're getting a fake if you buy a new guitar from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center.

If that was even a possibility it would really hurt their business.

So congrats on you new Epi Goldtop. How's she play? How 'bout posting a few pics?

i bought it at musicians friend' date=' for some reason i was still worried, good news about the serial, any more confirmation about no epi stamp on the back of the headstock would be greatly appreciated,

thanks ![/quote']

I've never heard of Musician's Fiend selling a countefeit guitar. Messing up orders and having morons answer the phone yes, but selling fake guitars isn't something I've experienced or seen on any music forum.

I suppose they could get scammed taking in a used instrument, but as an authorized Epi dealer it's highly unlikely they would ever sell any NEW guitar that did not come through the manufacturer's distribution network. They are too big and have too much at stake to get involved in any counterfeit foolishness.

Enjoy your GT and welcome to the forum!

And post some pics of your rig: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=8886

I bought mine from Guitr Center. (Same thing as MF). These are now "special runs" for them. Mine does not have the old "custom shop" printed on it either. But these '09 models are made in Korea. It should be a good player - mine is. Very solid with a nice beefy neck. At least beefier than a regular standard.

As GuitarDaterProject hasnt updated there serial breakdown to work with the new serial no's without letters, i found a post that helped me break it down,

YYMMFFRRRRR

e.g

Mines is 090815XXXXX

so mines was made in 2009 in August in Quindao China production # XXXXX

il also put some pics up soon !

thanks !

There is no way you're getting a fake if you buy a new guitar from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center.

If that was even a possibility it would really hurt their business.

So congrats on you new Epi Goldtop. How's she play? How 'bout posting a few pics?

I will do !

shes beautiful, and plays like a dream, those P-90's produce a stunning clean sound, and biting distortion !

Hi and welcome here' date='

the LP 56 Goldtop was long time a regular offered guitar of the Les Paul collection.

than it seems they have been discontinued

and some time ago the 56GT was listed in the "limited edition" line.

I guess, musicians friend had some of the "older" models at stock.

The serial# of your guitar should show you if my thoughts are wrong or not.

It should be a early 09 or 08 model

Peter

[/quote']

Actually the serial # shows it was manufactured in August 'o9 is this strange, sorry for so many posts im new to this shiz !

They mus have switched produciton back to Quindango - 15 later in the year.

CODE is:090421XXXX

Made in April of 09' date='

Factory - 21 = Unsung Korea. Even has the sticker that says, Made in Korea.

Wonder why Epi is bouncing back and forth between Plants[/quote']

Thanks Bill, Strange eh?

I was suprised at Korea at all, every Epi ive had is from QuinDao.

all the Korean ones i have seen have the GIBSON trus rod covers and were from the '90's.

forgive me if my info is incorrect i am a newbie.

Also i think il X out the rest of my serial # to stop them damn counterfeiters. [biggrin][angry]

I just put the screws back in the holes when I take the guard off. Mine is off on mine now' date=' not in the avatar though.[/quote']

Oh Yeah, do you have the little bit outside the hole where theres no paint, looks like it just flaked off, this makes mine more noticable, any solutions for that guys, touch up paint ect?

jcwillow did you route yours for humbuckers?

Oh Yeah' date=' do you have the little bit outside the hole where theres no paint, looks like it just flaked off, this makes mine more noticable, any solutions for that guys, touch up paint ect?

jcwillow did you route yours for humbuckers?[/quote']

I wouldn't try to touch up anything, it might looks worse. If it bugs you too much, try to find some finger nail polish that matches. I did do that on a G-400 repair I did, but the headstock was broken off.

I have the same problem on an Agile AL-2000 CSB, but it's the hole that holds the mounting plate for the PG on the side of the guitar, so it's not as noticeable. I didn't try to mess with it and I hardly notice it now.

No routing, minis will fit in the route. I love the minis, I'm not a P90s guy. I have tried with a couple of guitars, but I use too many pedals and P90s don't like pedals. (Too much noise.)

I wouldn't try to touch up anything' date=' it might looks worse. If it bugs you too much, try to find some finger nail polish that matches. I did do that on a G-400 repair I did, but the headstock was broken off.

I have the same problem on an Agile AL-2000 CSB, but it's the hole that holds the mounting plate for the PG on the side of the guitar, so it's not as noticeable. I didn't try to mess with it and I hardly notice it now.

No routing, minis will fit in the route. I love the minis, I'm not a P90s guy. I have tried with a couple of guitars, but I use too many pedals and P90s don't like pedals. (Too much noise.)

[/quote']

Oh nice, naw man i like the P-90's theyre really fugly tho [angry]

I think il get used to it, i love the guitar, leaving it to get set up professionally today, in time i may get it routed for humbuckers and put in some Alnico II, as I'm a huge slash fan, and this is more or less the same guitar but without the HB's, pretty ridiculous marketing by Epi if you ask me, all about it being unique and stuff, its a rip off really, as im really happy with my '56. [biggrin]

Thanks for all your help man (:

Oh Yeah' date=' do you have the little bit outside the hole where theres no paint, looks like it just flaked off, this makes mine more noticable, any solutions for that guys, touch up paint ect?

[/quote']

Go to True Value Hardware and buy a little rubber grommet for 15 cents. Then you can do the Lennon thing, screw the grommet into the hole. I usually buy a black screw the same size as the one that came with the guitar, but that's a matter of personal taste.

ACS_body.jpg

No' date=' 2009 Epiphones are made ina variety of different factories. Epiphones haven't been made in one particular factory since the '70s.

They mus have switched produciton back to Quindango - 15 later in the year.

CODE is:090421XXXX

Made in April of 09,

Factory - 21 = Unsung Korea. Even has the sticker that says, Made in Korea.

Wonder why Epi is bouncing back and forth between Plants

As I said, they produce Epis in many different plants at the same time, they aren't "bouncing back and forth".

Go to True Value Hardware and buy a little rubber grommet for 15 cents. Then you can do the Lennon thing' date=' screw the grommet into the hole. I usually buy a black screw the same size as the one that came with the guitar, but that's a matter of personal taste.

[img']http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmcleer/Guitars/ACS_body.jpg[/img]

I'm in Ireland so unfortunately I don't have access to a true value hardware store, but I should be able to get a rubber grommet somewhere right?

Archived