Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing a Sheraton...

UncannyXman

So, I'm sure that this has been hashed and re-hashed a dozen times already, but I gotta ask again...

What kind of difference are we looking at, structurally, sound-wise, fit & form, etc. between the Korean Sheratons and the Japanese Sheratons. Also, do the years that they were produced affect quality? I realize that the Samick plant in South Korea has reduced production to focus on greater quality in the last couple of years, but should I lay down the extra cash to get a pre-1988 Sheraton (aka with the headstock that says Epiphone by Gibson)

http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/listings/Epiphone%20Sheraton%20by%20Gibson%20Vintage%20Sunburst%201988/index.html

or will any of the 90's models do?

http://www.guitargeek.com/gear/img/epiphone_sheraton_II.gif

Opinions and expertise are greatly valued.

Thanks,

UX

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uncanny,

Be forewarned that if you DO acquire a 90's era Korean Samick Sheraton - and you want to do ANYTHING to the bridge - you will have a difficult time replacing it. That is, should you want to keep it gold in color. I own a '99 Korean Samick Sheraton and I recently broke a saddle screw in my bridge. I cannot seem to find a replacement saddle screw. Likewise, I am having a heck of a time finding a new bridge too. Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful guitar for fit, finish, playability, etc. I just wish it were a little easier to get parts for this darn bridge.

~MW

Welcome Uncanny. It's not only the Samicks that have the 5 piece neck, and as far as I know it is only the Samicks that have the odd bridge width, but check for post hole size. You should find plenty more info on Sheri bridges if you search here, there are many more knowledgeable than myself, and this topic has been covered many times.

Hi UncannyXman

Another thing you may want to consider is that some are easier to modify the electrics on than others. I have a 87 and a 89 they are virtually identical the 87 as two key differences, "Epiphone by Gibson" on the headstock and cavity access under the bridge pickup to allow me to feed in a new assembly.

I remember Musikron posting about this and there was a big cufuffle because Musikron said you could access this way. The thing is Musikron's Sheraton is an "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock and his also has this access. It might be the case that many of these E-by-G's have this access cavity. Which will make life a lot easier if you want to get in there and change an assembly..

P1010245.jpg

My 1989 does not have have this design, just a small hole to push the pickup wires through.

Therefore I will have try and fit a new assembly via the f hole, which is very tricky.

I had decided for two pull-push pots on the 87, so I am very thankful for the extra access cavity under the bridge pickup.

Both have the 5 piece necks.

On my two Sheratons of the four stock pickups the neck pickup on the 89 is the best IMO. I have a set of Seymour Duncans in my Joe Pass and when I play the 3 guitars back to back I can hear the difference and have plans for some changes.

I have only owned these two Sheratons which I acquired fairly recently, all I can say is the are beautiful, and since coming into my hands are taking virtually all of my playing/practicing time.

I think the Sheraton is the guitar for me...my two just feel right when I pick them up. Heavy beasts, but I play mostly sitting thankfully.

You can see them in my signature below...

Hi UncannyXman

Another thing you may want to consider is that some are easier to modify the electrics on than others. I have a 87 and a 89 they are virtually identical the 87 as two key differences' date=' "Epiphone by Gibson" on the headstock and cavity access under the bridge pickup to allow me to feed in a new assembly.

I remember Musikron posting about this and there was a big cufuffle because Musikron said you could access this way. The thing is Musikron's Sheraton is an "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock and his also has this access. It might be the case that many of these E-by-G's have this access cavity. Which will make life a lot easier if you want to get in there and change an assembly..

[img']http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/JoeSamick/P1010245.jpg[/img]

That's like the MIJ Matsumoku Sheratons from the early '80s.

Also, the 5 piece neck was a hallmark of the Matsumoku guitars. I think that's why I really like the early Samick Sherries, it's like they took the Matsumoku specs and started making them in Korea.

Jerrymac wrote:

That's like the MIJ Matsumoku Sheratons from the early '80s.

That is an interesting statement Jerry, I remember Musikron saying that in his opinion, the weight and construction of his E-by-G was much more like better Japanese Sherris. Maybe in the early days they went by the Japanese model. One thing is for sure, too many people seem to say the early Sheratons are "generally" fine guitars.

I am very happy to own two.

EDIT: By the way Jerry did you see this Teegar found on e-bay maybe this is like the E-by-G you owned

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-by-Gibson-sheraton-WH-electric-guitar-white_W0QQitemZ120523176423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item1c0fbdb9e7

That is an interesting statement Jerry' date=' I remember Musikron saying that in his opinion, the weight and construction of his E-by-G was much more like better Japanese Sherris. Maybe in the early days they went by the Japanese model. One thing is for sure, too many people seem to say the early Sheratons are "generally" fine guitars.

[/quote']

Even the Antique Sunburst looks alike on the MIJs & Samicks. Here's my old MIJ::

MIJ_Sheraton_Body.jpg

Note, I changed the hardware, knobs & added the varitone.

By the way Jerry did you see this Teegar found on e-bay maybe this is like the E-by-G you owned

My E-by-G was Sunburst like yours. I had two white ones, both were mid '90s. I would have bought that one if I saw it, and if I had the money.

Jerrymac wrote:

Even the Antique Sunburst looks alike on the MIJs & Samicks. Here's my old MIJ::

MIJ_Sheraton_Body.jpg

Thanks for posting that Jerry I have just learned something. They are similar but the MIJ had very different f holes....mine is 87 and Musikron 86 will have to check the f holes on the very early 1986 Samicks to see if any have those f holes like the MIJ's. Thanks Jerry I never cease to learn stuff from your posts...

My Unsung (Korea) Sherri II was made in 11/07 & the build quality couldn't be better.........fit/finish/neck/frets(including ends)/nut/hardware/electronics/etc.......all GREAT!(granted, I picked thru 4 & bought the best)

It's all stock(except the 18/1 Grover Imperials I installed) and gives off a very vintage, i.e. moderate tone, which is exactly what I got it for.

It's one of my 2 "go to" guitars,and i've had no issues with it yet.

Cant believe no one has mentioned the mighty Elitist Sheraton yet!

"Elistist guitars are crafted with premium woods, fitted with American pickups and circuitry - even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners. New York mini humbuckers give this Sheraton crisp, sizzling sound, even in the lower tones."

And all 24k gold plated!

epiphone_elitist_sheraton_guitar.jpg

AS90 wrote:

Cant believe no one has mentioned the mighty Elitist Sheraton yet!

The only Elitist I have ever seen for sale was EpSheriMan's and that had a bigbsy which was not my cup of tea. But we did discuss it.

I only have my two "Proletarian" Sherri's where would someone find an "Elitist" and what is the going rate for one in good condition.

Paid $373 for my E-by-G, plan to spend $427 on upgrades (top class assembly-split coil-pull-push pots, 2 Lollar Firebirds) that will mean I have a fine, fine, guitar for $800.......

(Here in Sweden the best price I have seen for a brand spanking new stock MIC Sheraton is $800, my E-by-G will have far superior electrics and Lollars for the same price)

Could I get an Elitist for $800.....? It is possible that my E-by-G modified will be as good as an Elitist.....

MIJ_Sheraton_Body.jpg

Note' date=' I changed the hardware, knobs & added the varitone.

My E-by-G was Sunburst like yours. I had two white ones, both were mid '90s. I would have bought that one if I saw it, and if I had the money.

[/quote']

jerrymac, very nice looking guitar, especially with the figure in the wood showing through. Are the two small dots below the tailpiece photo artifacts, or is there actually something there?

jerrymac' date=' very nice looking guitar, especially with the figure in the wood showing through. Are the two small dots below the tailpiece photo artifacts, or is there actually something there?[/quote']

Someone had put a Bigsby on it at one time, but it had been removed by the time I got it. I put small dark screws in the holes so the bare wood wouldn't be exposed.

Regarding the Elitists, one just sold on the bay for 1182 USD (which seems like a very good price)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Sheraton-Guitar_W0QQitemZ250569007899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3a5713a31b

and another is going with a BIN of 2000 (good luck)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Sheraton_W0QQitemZ140378635267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20af37fc03

So JoeSamick's got a good thing going with high quality modded E by G's for well under a grand.

My dream guitar went for $2500 on e-bay a while ago. If I was going to pay that type of money it would not be on an Elitist it would be on one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150403630583&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

1958 Epiphone (thinline) Zephyr

!Bi+pEig!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKj!Esnp9V4IvBLRoijZqu!~~_3.JPG

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13123

For $1182 whoever got that first Elitist got a good deal and it will keep its price.

My E-by-G is pure experimentation and if those Lollars start to sing in there, I certainly would not trade it for a new MIC Sheraton at the same price, or a Sheraton Elitist.......Might swap it for a 1959 to 1961 Epiphone (thinline) Zephyr though....[angry]

AS90 wrote:

The only Elitist I have ever seen for sale was EpSheriMan's and that had a bigbsy which was not my cup of tea. But we did discuss it.

I only have my two "Proletarian" Sherri's where would someone find an "Elitist" and what is the going rate for one in good condition.

Paid $373 for my E-by-G' date=' plan to spend $427 on upgrades (top class assembly-split coil-pull-push pots, 2 Lollar Firebirds) that will mean I have a fine, fine, guitar for $800.......

(Here in Sweden the best price I have seen for a brand spanking new stock MIC Sheraton is $800, my E-by-G will have far superior electrics and Lollars for the same price)

Could I get an Elitist for $800.....? It is possible that my E-by-G modified will be as good as an Elitist.....

[/quote']

They dont make them any more so you cant order one and no is selling them while they wait for the prices to go up. There is one on ebay right now for $2000! I paid $1100 for mine :-k

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Sheraton_W0QQitemZ140378635267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20af37fc03

Archived