Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing a Sheraton...

UncannyXman

Wow! Off topic or what!

I think Sheratons are all great, apart from the chinese ones made now and even then, they are not all bad, you just need to play them first as the QC is all over the place. With Jap/Korean ones the QC is way more consistent and usually the finish is better in any event (compare blonde Samick with Chinese ones for colour/hue).

I have a 2000 Samick blonde which I've modded (nearly finished and pics soon I promise) and it's superb. I must have the only bridge on planet earth that fits though and it will still need a tweak with a CNC mill as the posts stand proud making a little higher on the action than stock.

I must have sherry-fever though as I just bought another! VS Unsung Korean 07'. It's under the spare bed hiding from her indoors! I plan to install kent armstrong cream P 90's on it so it sound different the other one!

I think Sherris are about the best value and looking guitar out there used (used better than new) and a great platform to make your own (aper from a bridge change on Samicks!).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerrymac-

I wonder if they did that as an economical way to clamp it in place while the glue cures? Or.. is there any type of washer or bushing in there as well' date=' or just a (wood?) screw? Was it finished over or installed through the finish? [/quote']

I don't remember off hand, but I'm assuming it was done prior to finishing. Doesn't make sense to me doing it after it was finished.

I've had a few Matsumoku 335s under various brands (Vantage, Electra), it seemed to be SOP.

Jerrymac wrote:

I've had a few Matsumoku 335s under various brands (Vantage, Electra), it seemed to be SOP

Jerry, yet again via this thread and what I have learned so much from yourself, Musikron and AS90 it has been great.

The history of the various production methods is fascinating.

The use of extra screws by Matsumoku seems to be a quirk of their production.

Can't seem to find evidence of it in Gibson 335 production, but if someone handed me a guitar to identify, these are all sign posts are they not. If I found a screw in the tenon joint, I would hopefully remember Matsumoku as a possible source.

Having both a 1987 and 1989 Samick Sheraton's, both with the long tenon joint, it will be interesting to look at 1990 to 2010 Sheratons to see how the neck is fixed to the body.

Also if any of the factories reintroduced the bridge cavity access at any point.

Great stuff, thanks guys.

OFF SUBJECT:

CB wrote:

Lennon was played by Ian Hart an actor from Liverpool when he made "Back Beat" He lived at the bottom of Lark Lane not far from me' date=' and is partner at the time Lynn Curry worked with me in the media department of City of Liverpool Community College, Riversdale, we shared an office.

[/quote']

I went to Riversdale in the 90s.

OFF SUBJECT:

CB wrote:

Lennon was played by Ian Hart an actor from Liverpool when he made "Back Beat" He lived at the bottom of Lark Lane not far from me' date=' and is partner at the time Lynn Curry worked with me in the media department of City of Liverpool Community College, Riversdale, we shared an office. Ian used to come in and have a cup of tea and talk about Back Beat I think they were in Pre-Production at that time. Ian has gone on to do great things....even Harry Potter he was Professor Quirrell http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001324/

Edit: WOW

Just found this in Ian's bio..... he and Lynn have married since and are still together after all this time

Spouse

Lynn Hart (? - present) 2 children

[/quote']

How Cool/Interesting, is that?! Especially, him marrying, your office mate. Small World!

I've seen a several movies, Ian's been in, besides "Back Beat." Good actor!

CB

I'm new to the electric guitar and as I have posted before I just got a Sheraton II, made in China 2009. I am happy with the guitar as it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I looked at a lot of 335 style guitars and as soon as I picked up the Epiphone I knew I wanted it. As I have followed this forum the last couple of weeks there seems to be quite a few disparaging remarks made as to the quality of the Sheraton made in China. Since most of you have more experience with Epiphone is it the opinion of all that even though I like this guitar I may have made a poor choice in the long term with this purchase.

I'm new to the electric guitar and as I have posted before I just got a Sheraton II' date=' made in China 2009. I am happy with the guitar as it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I looked at a lot of 335 style guitars and as soon as I picked up the Epiphone I knew I wanted it. As I have followed this forum the last couple of weeks there seems to be quite a few disparaging remarks made as to the quality of the Sheraton made in China. Since most of you have more experience with Epiphone is it the opinion of all that even though I like this guitar I may have made a poor choice in the long term with this purchase.[/quote']

There's nothing wrong with the MIC Sheratons. In my case, I like thin necks like the older ones had. Personal preference more than a quality issue.

I'm new to the electric guitar and as I have posted before I just got a Sheraton II' date=' made in China 2009. I am happy with the guitar as it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I looked at a lot of 335 style guitars and as soon as I picked up the Epiphone I knew I wanted it. As I have followed this forum the last couple of weeks there seems to be quite a few disparaging remarks made as to the quality of the Sheraton made in China. [b']Since most of you have more experience with Epiphone is it the opinion of all that even though I like this guitar I may have made a poor choice in the long term with this purchase.
[/b]

I don't think so, really. "They" said the identical thing(s) when Epiphone moved to Asia (Japan),

then from Japan to Korea, and other Asian factories, and now...to China. Always, the previous

place of manufacture, was "superior!" LOL! There are good luthiers, in ALL those countries.

Obviously, we'd all (or most of us, anyway) love to have older "original" Kalamazoo USA Epiphones...

Sheratons, and others. But, most can't afford them, so we do the best we can, with what we CAN afford.

Just enjoy your Sheraton...Chinese or not. It will be a long while, before any of the Asian made

Epiphones really become valuable "collector's" items, IF they ever do...beyond a modest interest, anyway...

IMHO (as always). And, certainly, not to the extent of the old USA Epi's or Vintage Gibson, Martin, Ric's,

or Fenders. So...just have fun, play the Hell out of it, and Enjoy!

Also...Gibson will determine, the actual quality of Epiphone products, NOT the "Chinese!" It's in Gibson's

best interest, given the level of competition, in Asian made guitars, to keep that level of quality, HIGH!

So, unless you got a "lemon," I wouldn't worry, at all, about it...at least not from a player's perspective,

as long as you love it...that's all that counts!

CB

I'm new to the electric guitar and as I have posted before I just got a Sheraton II' date=' made in China 2009. I am happy with the guitar as it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I looked at a lot of 335 style guitars and as soon as I picked up the Epiphone I knew I wanted it. As I have followed this forum the last couple of weeks there seems to be quite a few disparaging remarks made as to the quality of the Sheraton made in China. Since most of you have more experience with Epiphone is it the opinion of all that even though I like this guitar I may have made a poor choice in the long term with this purchase.[/quote']

It's a bit of a crap-shoot. Some of them are great, and others arrive to the customer with the knobs and input jack falling off. The bottom line seems to be that they don't reject guitars that should have been pulled at the factory.

blueser12 wrote:

I'm new to the electric guitar and as I have posted before I just got a Sheraton II, made in China 2009. I am happy with the guitar as it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I looked at a lot of 335 style guitars and as soon as I picked up the Epiphone I knew I wanted it. As I have followed this forum the last couple of weeks there seems to be quite a few disparaging remarks made as to the quality of the Sheraton made in China. Since most of you have more experience with Epiphone is it the opinion of all that even though I like this guitar I may have made a poor choice in the long term with this purchase.

I am new to the electric guitar also. I was very close to ordering a new Sheraton from Thomann who supply to Sweden here where I am based, it would have cost me around $800 with delivery.

I probably would have been over the moon with the guitar, and it would do everything I want.

However, I always loved that Zephyr John Lee Hooker had and the early Sheratons, they mostly had mini humbuckers. So I knew if I was going to get a Sheraton (for total price around $800), I would be modding it.

It just did not feel right buying a brand new guitar and ripping the guts out of it.

That is why I have always bought older second hand guitars, so I can mod them to how I want them.

So all this for me was about finding from the second hand market good solid well built specimens as foundations for modding.

It does appear that some of the early models were made to quite high standards.

But in saying that as the guys have said a good guitar is a good guitar, I am sure there are plenty of good MIC Sheratons out there.

If it is working and sounding good and doing the job it don't really matter where it was made. I am happy with my two 20 year old Korean guitars with their little blemishes. Some people would hate that.

It is all horses for courses, I chose to buy cheap second hand and spend some money on fancy electrics and pickups, up to the $800, I would have spent on a new guitar.

It will be a while before I see the best out of my two.

Buying new if you get a good set up from your supplier you land running. I have a lot of work over the coming weeks.

Enjoy your MIC, as you said when you picked it up, you knew you wanted it, in my book there is no such thing as a bad Sherri (if it is a player) they are such beautiful guitars.

It's a bit of a crap-shoot. Some of them are great' date=' and others arrive to the customer with the knobs and input jack falling off. The bottom line seems to be that they don't reject guitars that should have been pulled at the factory.

[/quote']

Well, when I received my Gibson "Lucille," both the input jacks, and the Varitone knob,

were loose. And that was only shipped (Via UPS...AHHHH!), from Kansas to California,

at that time. Took me all of 2 minutes to fix, and...knowing my dealer, I'm sure it didn't leave

there, like that! Shipping can do (and does) terrible things, to guitars. Can you imagine

one shipped from China, to Gibson, to CG or some other dealer? Loose parts are a drag,

for sure, but not always an indication or poor workmanship. Maybe lax dealer prep, but

even that's not a sure thing, either. But...you're right...even the best manufactuing has

some "lemons," now and then. So...???

CB

Having both a 1987 and 1989 Samick Sheraton's' date=' both with the long tenon joint, it will be interesting to look at 1990 to 2010 Sheratons to see how the neck is fixed to the body.

Also if any of the factories reintroduced the bridge cavity access at any point.

Great stuff, thanks guys.

[/quote']

Here is a submission for 1999 MIK Samick Sheraton.

P2040017.jpg

As you can see, long neck tenon. However, the bridge cavity does NOT have an access point. So ... it's all f-hole access for me when it comes time to swap the electronics.

~MW

Wow' date=' hard to tell but it looks like something is under the finish there, or almost like there, hell I dunno how to describe it. Wish I could circle things like jerrymac does. Hey jerry, u see what I see?

[/quote']

I was eBay hunting today, looking for some Matsumokus, and I found this Electra photo:

electra%20pup.jpg

Wow' date=' hard to tell but it looks like something is under the finish there, or almost like there, hell I dunno how to describe it. Wish I could circle things like jerrymac does. Hey jerry, u see what I see?

Thanks MykWiz[/quote']

Musikron,

What is it that you "see?" Is it the bar that's seemingly running horizontally across the tenon? Al Capone's vault? Jimmy Hoffa? Or something else? All I really "see" is a lot of extra paint! You've piqued my curiosity.

~MW

Musikron' date='

What is it that you "see?" Is it the bar that's seemingly running horizontally across the tenon? Al Capone's vault? Jimmy Hoffa? Or something else? All I really "see" is a lot of extra paint! You've piqued my curiosity.

~MW[/quote']

That ground out part in the lower left corner, looks like solid wood to me.

Might be what Musikron noticed...

Just a guess

That ground out part in the lower left corner' date=' looks like solid wood to me.

Might be what Musikron noticed...

Just a guess

[/quote']

Sheratons have a solid block running down the middle.

I think Musikron might be referring to what appears to be a bar across the joint which you can raised under the finish. Like Jerry said the MIJ's had an extra screw.

Maybe during this period they may have put a bar across for extra strengthening....just guessing, maybe Jerry or Musikron have seen this before on other builds..?

Oh snap thats a vantage too!

But I was referring to the hollowbody. I have a guitar that would match it nicely.

Boy, I'm losing it!!! That's an Electra on eBay, not a vantage!!!

I wish I had that Vantage (it's a VHS-455), that was a sweet guitar. But I've sold off just about everything, but I still have the photos.

Archived