Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Cover Question

freak show

Usually, soldered tight and you will need to use an iron to sort it, Musikron will sort you out I remember something about a really hot iron and working quickly as the soldered joints are usually quite substantial. You might be lucky though the pups on my Sherris are sort of glued and on one pup the cover is actually free.

P1010229.jpg

but usually soldered like this with two lumps of solder

img_0462.jpg

Ease them out and check the backs, also if potted you will have to remove wax after taking the covers off they might not look pretty...

I plan to take the gold covers off my SD Jazz/JB in the future. Good luck and I will be looking at this thread with interest..

Wow, that was an informative answer!

Thanks, Joe!

Unfortunately, I may just decide to "postpone" my little experiment now. I had been hoping that one could remove the cover without altering the guitar. All this talk of solder joints and wax makes me uneasy. You see, I like the way the pickups sound now. If I were to take off the covers, scrape out the wax, and then come to the conclusion that there was no improvement, I'm not sure I would be able to return the pickup to its original state. Actually, to be quite honest I suspect that I would probably end up with a smoking heap of charred wood and wire.

LOL, maybe I should try to acquire a "project guitar" (and a soldering iron!), before I take the plunge...

I always found it hard to hear the difference. It's there allright, but it's hard to say whether it improved or deteriorated the tone. I reckon the difference is more substantial if playing on ultra hi-gain settings, not sure. I never do.

It's easy to put the covers back on. In some guitars I just pressed them on. If they're too roomy you could just use a dab of glue or rubber cement.

Wow' date=' that was an informative answer!

Thanks, Joe!

Unfortunately, I may just decide to "postpone" my little experiment now. I had been hoping that one could remove the cover without altering the guitar. All this talk of solder joints and wax makes me uneasy. You see, I like the way the pickups sound now. If I were to take off the covers, scrape out the wax, and then come to the conclusion that there was no improvement, [b']I'm not sure I would be able to return the pickup to its original state.[/b] Actually, to be quite honest I suspect that I would probably end up with a smoking heap of charred wood and wire.

LOL, maybe I should try to acquire a "project guitar" (and a soldering iron!), before I take the plunge...

It's not that big a job really as most of the covers are spot soldered in two places and

applying any inexpensive soldering iron and running a pen knife through the heated

solder blob will ensure a gap and proper separation....but..

once the cover is removed on p_ups that were not intended to be that way..it's not

a pretty p_up to look at and you will have bits of wax coming off as well.

I've done it as an experiment and there is a barely perceptible difference, but that's just

my opinion...for what it's worth. Putting the cover back should be no problem..just slip

it on and add some electronic solder after heating it up...the compromised wax potting will be though.

Thanks for the input, guys!

The general consensus seems to be that removing the covers doesn't make a big difference, so I think I may just wait and try to compare guitars with and without in a store. That was a great idea.

But I am starting to feel the craving to tinker a bit. I think I see a "project guitar" in my future, but I should probably start off by getting myself some fire insurance...

:^o

I'm fixing to go the opposite direction and install covers on my Flying-V's ceramic p'ups, and pot them with a high temp beeswax/parafin mix.

I really like the 496r/500t ceramics, but i'd like to "sweeten" them up just a touch.

I'll let y'all know how it went when it's done.

A roll of solder wick goes a long way in getting that melted solder out of the way while it is molten. I actually like it better than the vacuum solder suckers, since you have to keep cocking them while melting solder with the iron. Solder suckers are good for removing solder from small components.

I vote for buying a set of humbuckers from ebay for the test. At least you can go back easily if you decide there's not enough difference in the sound after the swap. Plus, you can sell the set you like the least after the test. Once you have unsoldered and unpotted the stock pickups, you have a job ahead of you to get them back to stock condition.

The variance in tone is slight at best. Sometimes I believe I am imagining it, and very well could be. It took a bling tase test to convince me I couldn't hear a difference in caps, so this may be the same.

I think of the covers as a strictly aesthetic choice whether or not to use them.

I agree. I think a removed cover is more an aesthetic thing than a drastic tone difference. Maybe a slight bit brighter but thats it- just my opinion.

Tip with wax removal: place the pickup on top of a mound of paper towel, and use a hair dryer on high heat. Melt it away, and the wax soaks in to the paper towels. Much easier than trying to scrape it all off.

I agree. I think a removed cover is more an aesthetic thing than a drastic tone difference. Maybe a slight bit brighter but thats it- just my opinion.

Tip with wax removal: place the pickup on top of a mound of paper towel' date=' and use a hair dryer on high heat. Melt it away, and the wax soaks in to the paper towels. Much easier than trying to scrape it all off.[/quote']

If I am removing wax form the bobbins I just wipe it off. Simple and keeps the rest of the wax where you want it, in the coil.

Archived