Gibson Brands Forums

advice on refretting a Sheraton

Jameson30

Hello

I have a 1997 Sheraton which I've owned since new.

After the first 2 to 3 years there was noticable fretware on the first four frets.

The fretware had not increased much but it does buzz/mute a bit on some notes.

I am thinking of purchasing a few replacement frets (if available) and installing them myself.

Is this possible?

Is it just a matter of pulling out the old and hammering in the new?

Have any of you done this yourself?

What would it cost to get a professional to do this job?

Many thanks

Jameson

I have done it myself, and I absolutely DO NOT recommend attempting a refret...especially on such a nice guitar as a Sheraton.

Refrets can be pretty costly, but you may only need a fret dressing. That is where they basically level, crown and polish your frets. Every guitar needs this done from time to time. I would take it to a trusted guitar shop and have them give you an inspection and an estimate.

Research research research...

You can do a partial refret. Not that complicated. If you dont know how to set up a guitar (eg. action/intonation/truss rod) then get a pro to do the refret. If you have been hacking on guitars for a while it is no biggie. When in doubt, dont. Replacing the first 5 frets shouldnt be that expensive to have a pro do it right.

If you do decide to do it yourself here are your complications (off the top of my head)

1)Bound fingerboard: You will have to be careful and trim the tang (underside) of the fret wire to fit in the slot without having to cut/remove the binding

2)Heat the frets with a soldering iron before pulling them. Be VERY careful because rosewood chips easily. Keep a little superglue handy to glue back any divots you make. Take your time and do it slowly.

I cant see where you are in the world but a beater/busted neck from craiglist is good to practice on.

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Take heart in that if you DO screw it up it is nothing large sums of money cant fix.

Sambooka, you are missing some key points here.

Firstly, we are talking about a hollowbody guitar with a set neck. Without proper support for the neck and body, he could end up with far worse than some bad frets. If it was a bolted neck, you could just remove it and no worries in that regard.

Second, sure, putting in frets is relatively easy in theory. But a bound fretboard is a job that requires some experience.

Also, once the frets are in, they have to be leveled then crowned. Not as easy as it sounds. And if it is a partial refret, they need to be leveled to match the rest of the frets. Probably easier than leveling the whole board, but there is so much room for error that I just dont recommend it as a 'first time'.

And then there is the fact that he would need fret files, not only for crowning and leveling, but also for angling the ends of the frets. Without the proper files, say goodbye to your nice, smooth, beautiful binding.

Seriously, before getting all ramped up to potentially destroy your fretboard, take it to a guitar shop and get an expert opinion.

I REALLY think it just needs a fret dressing.

Even if it needs a partial re-fret, you might get away for $100 USD. I've had full re-frets done for $200, partials for $100, and dressings for $75. But if you've never done it, pulling the frets up can chip your fingerboard, banging frets in is actually much harder than it sounds (tricky to get them to seat right), don't know about your Sheraton but mine has raised nibs of binding at the fret ends that you would want to match, and then you need to level, crown, and dress the frets, which comes out much better if you're experienced. Plus you need to buy the tools to do it right, which will easily cost you well over a hundred USD. All the maintenance books say, "get your experience on yard sale specials before attempting this on your valuable guitar."

If this is a guitar you love and wouldn't want to mess up experimenting, take it to a reputable luthier and drop the coin, you'll be glad you did.

Hello

I have a 1997 Sheraton which I've owned since new.

After the first 2 to 3 years there was noticable fretware on the first four frets.

The fretware had not increased much but it does buzz/mute a bit on some notes.

I am thinking of purchasing a few replacement frets (if available) and installing them myself.

Is this possible?

Is it just a matter of pulling out the old and hammering in the new?

Have any of you done this yourself?

What would it cost to get a professional to do this job?

Many thanks

Jameson

Don't all the frets initially wear more initially at their 'summit' so the wear can look worse than it actually is on the frets you play the most. This could also explain why it hasn't changed much since. Also, perhaps the neck is very straight at the moment and all that is needed is a loosening of the truss rod to introduce some relief in the lower register as opposed to a fret dress.

Another point which I have often thought about before: When your Sheraton does need fret work, $75 for a dress every few years seems fine but I wonder whether an eventual $200 refret is cost effective on a $600, 13-year old imported guitar. You might be able to sell it for, say, $300 and then buy a brand new Sheraton for just $100 of your own outlay (accounting for the $200 'repair' you'd otherwise have to pay for). Think of it a bit like owning a car. The regular service is fine but when expensive repairs start to kick in, it's time for a new one.

Alan

Don't all the frets initially wear more initially at their 'summit' so the wear can look worse than it actually is on the frets you play the most. This could also explain why it hasn't changed much since. Also' date=' perhaps the neck is very straight at the moment and all that is needed is a loosening of the truss rod to introduce some relief in the lower register as opposed to a fret dress.

Another point which I have often thought about before: When your Sheraton does need fret work, $75 for a dress every few years seems fine but I wonder whether an eventual $200 refret is cost effective on a $600, 13-year old imported guitar. You might be able to sell it for, say, $300 and then buy a brand new Sheraton for just $100 of your own outlay (accounting for the $200 'repair' you'd otherwise have to pay for). Think of it a bit like owning a car. The regular service is fine but when expensive repairs start to kick in, it's time for a new one.

Alan

[/quote']

I couldn't disagree more.

For starters, the old phrase "They just don't make them like they used to" is highly relevant to the guitar world. I wouldn't trade my tattered old sherry for a dozen new ones.

And don't you have any loyalty man? I know if a guitar has served me well enough for me to wear the frets out, it has to be a good guitar to me, no sense of throwing it in the garbage. This whole disposable mentality we have now is running this country, planet, species into the ground. We consume consume consume and conserve nothing. I for one cherish my old guitars. I have written countless songs and played on distant stages with them. They have seen me through all major phases of life, been my crutch and my drug, been my salvation and damnation. They are friends, and family members, my brothers and children. I love my old guitars, my Mom, my Lady and my best friend. I always will, and will never dispose of ANY of them.

For starters' date=' the old phrase "They just don't make them like they used to" is highly relevant to the guitar world. I wouldn't trade my tattered old sherry for a dozen new ones.

And don't you have any loyalty man? [b']I know if a guitar has served me well enough for me to wear the frets out, it has to be a good guitar to me, no sense of throwing it in the garbage[/b]. This whole disposable mentality we have now is running this country, planet, species into the ground. We consume consume consume and conserve nothing. I for one cherish my old guitars. I have written countless songs and played on distant stages with them. They have seen me through all major phases of life, been my crutch and my drug, been my salvation and damnation. They are friends, and family members, my brothers and children. I love my old guitars, my Mom, my Lady and my best friend. I always will, and will never dispose of ANY of them.

I was just raising an interesting point for debate. I do agree with your statement that I've highlighed in bold above.

However, (and this is just my opinion) I'm not that convinced by the MIK vs MIC debate. I can appreciate the significant difference in materials, methods and craftsmanship of the '50s, '60s and '70s vs. the present day but not so much with late '90s vs current.

But, if Jameson has a sentimental attachment to his guitar then fine - why not spend the money on it and support his local tech.

Alan

I did a complete refret on a 1974 Gibson SG, I took my time and it went pretty well (apart from when I hit the first fret with a rubber mallet and the headstock fell off). Make sure you do some research first.

Before you decide you may want to purchase a book on Guitar re-fretting. Go to the Stewart MacDonald site & check out their fret book. I have a copy. It may scare you, it may not. You may also find something at your local library. The StewMac book is 70 pages of pictures with captions and a dozen or so pages of text. It discusses tools, techniques, types of guitars, necks, & fingerboards, etc. It's quite thorough. StewMac also has a video series on guitar repair & maintenance so you might want to check it out for a fretting video. Could be helpful.

I also agree that on a modern Epi guitar of any style you should consider the cost of replacement vs the cost of maintenance. No matter what it may be it's still just an Epi. It won't have any significant value in the vintage guitar world at any time. If you have an emotional attachment to the guitar factor that in. If you can't find anything on the market today that you'd be willing to replace it with factor that in too.

Tough choice, but the hardest part is deciding how much emotional attachment you have to the guitar.

Good Luck

I did a complete refret on a 1974 Gibson SG' date=' I took my time and it went pretty well (apart from when I hit the first fret with a rubber mallet and the headstock fell off). Make sure you do some research first.[/quote']

[crying][biggrin] [biggrin] AS90 yer wanna leev dat Stella alone la..........for fxxxx sake.... step away from the guitars and put your hands against the wall, I am going to call the RSPCG.....

That should be a new thread "List 5 things you most regret about modding your guitars"

1) Not finding a good reasonable priced Luthier/Guitar Tech...

For starters' date=' the old phrase "They just don't make them like they used to" is highly relevant to the guitar world. I wouldn't trade my tattered old sherry for a dozen new ones.

And don't you have any loyalty man? I know if a guitar has served me well enough for me to wear the frets out, it has to be a good guitar to me, no sense of throwing it in the garbage. This whole disposable mentality we have now is running this country, planet, species into the ground. We consume consume consume and conserve nothing. I for one cherish my old guitars. I have written countless songs and played on distant stages with them. They have seen me through all major phases of life, been my crutch and my drug, been my salvation and damnation. They are friends, and family members, my brothers and children. I love my old guitars, my Mom, my Lady and my best friend. I always will, and will never dispose of ANY of them.[/quote']

Give this man a MEDAL!

I also agree that on a modern Epi guitar of any style you should consider the cost of replacement vs the cost of maintenance. No matter what it may be it's still just an Epi. It won't have any significant value in the vintage guitar world at any time. If you have an emotional attachment to the guitar factor that in. If you can't find anything on the market today that you'd be willing to replace it with factor that in too.

And this one too!

My Sherri is neither old('07 Korean) nor worn out, but I GUARANTEE you that when it is time for a refret, it'll go to a pro & i'll drop the pennies without hesitation because it has a tone than none of my other 8 electrics (including Gibsons & Fenders) have.

On the reverse side.....my "old stand by" Washburn acoustic that i've dragged hither & yon, played my heart out to, spilled whiskey and tears and (literally) blood onto and into, is wearing down, and when it does it will become mostly a "wall hanger" because it was a $200 guitar to start with, and it just doesn't sound THAT good.

I'll still put up with the buzz & dead spots to play it when the "right" mood strikes, but I just can't see putting refret $ into it.

I bet we all have the O.P. quite confused by now...........but i'm just saying that it's HIS personal decision, with no right or wrong, except to HIM.

Archived