Gibson Brands Forums

Zakk Wylde Epiphone story...

liyboviz

Also I found out guitarupdaterproject is crooked. My friend owns a copy LP long time ago and to my surprise' date=' the serial is legit according to this. [/quote']

Guitardater makes no claim to be a definitive Gibson/Epi manufacturing database, its just an algorthym that spits out info based on certain (and in many cases spotty) information collected by its creator, Stephen Lister.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/faq.aspx

To say that it is "crooked" is like saying Wikipedia is crooked. The fact is, it does it's best with the available information but it's not perfect. Your friend's counterfeit LP simply has a counterfeited serial number.

Oh ok, i stand corrected.

The proper term would be 'the copy Lp serial is counterfeit and got lucky'. The thing is there are a lot of people who use guitarupdater to verify their guitars rather than send photo's and info's to gibson. I hope Mr. Stephen and gibson could somehow work together to improve it. how i wish.

Hi,

Well - it was a mistake by the USA support, look what I got:

Hello Assaf,

I spoke with our associate in China, and they have confirmed that this is indeed an authentic Zakk Wylde model. I sincerely apologize for the mixup on this, and I hope this helps. Thank you!

China customer support approved its a genuine guitar... :-)

I rest my case...

hmmm . . . Gibson, the last word on the guitar says it's a fake, but you ask the Chinese manufacturer to verify that they didn't make a fake and they say it's not a fake and you believe THEM?

Okay, I'm bored.

Sheila

thanks man' date='

Well, somehow I agree with you. Funny thing is gibson didn't reply after china gibson did. When they told me its fake, they even asked me to provide seller info and they will forward it to their legal department. That's why i emailed them twice.

Just after this, I looked over the manual and checked the parts in my LP like Tailpiece, bridge, input jack, toggle switch and found epiphone markings. Also found 500k alpha pots and wiring harness on the cavity and the pickups. All hardwares conforms with the standards so im pretty sure its legit.[biggrin

Also I found out guitarupdaterproject is crooked. My friend owns a copy LP long time ago and to my surprise, the serial is legit according to this. When I inspected the parts,there were no markings on all hardwares, no brand on pots, messy wirings, aside from the odd shape. So When in doubt, its best to send the photos I've stated above to gibson.

cheers

All the fakes I've seen have had "legit" hardware on them, at least it looked that way. The only Gibson you should talk to is in the states, the ONLY Gibson there is who talks to the public. The scammers are getting more sophisticated and you are being duped. But its your funeral. Enjoy your fake guitar, cause Gibson will not defer to China in a real world scenario.

Dont listen to this ^ guy!

Thats a real ZW Les Paul. I owned one for a while, bought from a Rosetti dealer and its exactly the same. After 5 years of looking at fake Epiphones and Gibsons I am really good at spotting fakes. Everything points to it being genuine, logo, angle of knobs, hardware, quality of finish etc

Nice guitar, enjoy it - they rock!

Hi' date='

Just bought a Zakk Wylde model.

I bought it from a local store, not an Ebay auction or some unknown dealer.

To my surprise, after sending pictures to Gibson customer support, I was told it's a fake...

The guitar was made in China, comapring to a korean one I saw in another store - there are defenitly finishing differences.

The packaging, manuals all seems original.

The problem as I see it is in the neck joint, zakk and Epiphone logo

The contact person in china is sure it's not a fake.

Could it be that the korean and china are constructed differently?

[/quote']

Hi,

Why did you send pictures to Gibson customer support? Did you suspect it was a fake when you bought it?

Are you going to return it to this unauthorized dealer for a refund?

What do you mean when you say "The contact person in China is sure it's not a fake?"

Thanks,

Epiphone

Hi,

I contacted Gibson on the 1-800-4GIBSON number, ask that they will sort out things with the china support.

Finally I got an email confirming that the first reply was wrong and indeed my Epiphone is genuine!!!

The apologized for this mix up

Assaf

Hey liybo...........just so you'll know, Epi1 is THE official Epiphone contact from the company its self.........you need to give him/her as much info as you possibly can, and trust their answer.

Epi1 doesn't appear very often, so evidently there is some real concern about this issue.

Epi1 can either settle your mind if it's a legit Epi, or recommend action if it's indeed a fake.

Ok' date=' I'll do it...

Who would fake an Epiphone, and why?

There, I've done it.

[crying

yep never unstood that myself. I mean if they're going to go through the bother why not just make it a Gibson fake in the first place.

Hi' date='

My first post[biggrin']

I had a similar experience. When I got my epi I took shots and sent it to Service.china@gibson.com and service@gibson.com. Some guy over at gibson told me its fake while china service said its legit. So, I emailed both...again. Now, I asked them why i got different replies. Service china said "its because we have updated database for chinese guitars than in US". So now Im fine.

Umm, do you seriously believe that China Gibson email address is real? That probably goes right to the counterfeiters so of course they would tell you it is legit! Deal with Gibson USA and Gibson USA only - they are the authority.

• 7 months later...

Archived