Gibson Brands Forums

1996 MIK Epi Les Paul Std Plus Top - good price?

Telechamp

I picked up a used '96 Made in Korea Epi LP Standard Plus Top honeyburst at Sam Ash for $333.00 + tax a few months ago. (They wanted $369, but came down to the $333..)

The guitar is in really good shape. And I am really loving it. A pickup swap might be in the works at some point, but for now I'm really diggin' the tone.. Great action, too.

But I just got to wondering what these mid-nineties MIK Epi LP Plus Tops are going for these days. I'm thinking I got a decent deal, but was just wondering if this is more or less the going rate for these? Like I said, I love the guitar and have no regrets at all buying it at this price, and would do it again at $333 because it's definitely a keeper, but was just curious what these are generally going for these days.. Thanks for any info - -

Here are some pics:

LP_IMG_1044PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1047PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1048PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1045PB.jpg

DROOL.. Dont know about the US$ values, but it looks like a great deal to me!

Is that finish simply called a 'Sunburst', or is there more to the story, 'cause I have always loooooved that brighter burst (as opposed to the 'Tobacco Bursts etc... if that's what they are called?)

eggmuffins

DROOL.. Dont know about the US$ values' date=' but it looks like a great deal to me!

Is that finish simply called a 'Sunburst', or is there more to the story, 'cause I have always loooooved that brighter burst (as opposed to the 'Tobacco Bursts etc... if that's what they are called?)

eggmuffins

[/quote']

That finish is called Honeyburst, as Epi-Man said in his post. [biggrin]

Although my first thought was iced tea-burst. :-k

I think you got a decent deal. The guitar looks great from the photos and, considering that it is one of the more desirable Korean built models, I would have definantly gave $333 for that. Congrats and enjoy !

DROOL.. Dont know about the US$ values' date=' but it looks like a great deal to me!

eggmuffins

[/quote']

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar! The finish is honeyburst - it's called an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honeyburst.

That finish is called Honeyburst' date=' as Epi-Man said in his post. [biggrin']

Although my first thought was iced tea-burst. [cool]

It does kind of look like an ice tea burst - especially in the light I took the pics in - but yes, it's definitely honeyburst. There's still a (faded) sticker on the back of the headstock that says "LP-Standard HB".

I really do like this honeyburst finish on this one!

LP_IMG_1052PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1057PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1054PB.jpg

I think you got a decent deal. The guitar looks great from the photos and' date=' considering that it is one of the more desirable Korean built models, I would have definantly gave $333 for that. Congrats and enjoy ![/quote']

Thanks, sexygibson.. Glad to find out I got a decent deal. It's really a nice LP, and it plays great! As I said, I love the action on it (S.A. set it up for me after I bought it, and put new strings on, etc.)

After I got it home, the input jack started shorting out, so I took it back in and they replaced it with a new one, plus I had to spray a little contact cleaner spray in the toggle switch, but other than that, it's in fantastic shape.

Here are a few daylight pics - the honeyburst finish takes on a different hue in daylight..

LP_IMG_1070PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1065PB.jpg

LP_IMG_1068PB.jpg

Yes, you got a good deal. The mid-90s MIK's have a very good reputation and the one's I've seen seem to be a cut above the MIC models I see today.

Yes, you got a good deal. But I would replace the pickups if the originals are still in there.

Yes' date=' you got a good deal. The mid-90s MIK's have a very good reputation and the one's I've seen seem to be a cut above the MIC models I see today.

Yes, you got a good deal. But I would replace the pickups if the originals are still in there.[/quote']

Thanks, tulsaslim, yes, I feel I got a pretty good deal on it - I really love the guitar. I have heard the mid-90's MIK's are well thought of..

The pickups sound pretty good compared to the stock pups on my Epi Dot, so I'm wondering if the originals on this LP have been switched at some point.. I haven't taken them out to see, but I will check on that pretty soon. If the orig. pups are still in there, then I might think about putting in some better ones..

I saw a MIK in a local store a couple of weeks ago that was going for $369 (up here in Canada) that wasn't in as good shape as yours. It might be almost as nice after being cleaned up but it certainly would never look that nice. I thought about talking them down and then buying it but it is a plain top model as opposed to the plus top and I didn't think a plain top was worth that much.

Epi-Man, you said the pups sound good, better than your dot, why change them. I used to have a 94 LP and the pups in that thing were flat out great. Just cause its stock don't mean its bad, you can always pot an old pickup. The best sounding pups I won are 40 years old!

I have a 1997, Limited Edition, Trans-Blue LP Standard Plus MIK (Unsung). Nice guitar, but I also want to get new pups in it. I like the pups in my 2006 G400 and will probably never change them. But the ones in the LP don't sound near as good.

I got the LP a year ago for $230 on ebay. I have bought several guitars off ebay, and have been very, very happy with them. And I got each for an extremely low price. You just have to know what you want, do your research on the guitar and the seller, and most of all... be patient.

DSC00096-2.jpg

I have a 1997' date=' Limited Edition, Trans-Blue LP Standard Plus MIK (Unsung). Nice guitar, but I also want to get new pups in it. I like the pups in my 2006 G400 and will probably never change them. But the ones in the LP don't sound near as good.

I got the LP a year ago for $230 on ebay. I have bought several guitars off ebay, and have been very, very happy with them. And I got each for an extremely low price. You just have to know what you want, do your research on the guitar and the seller, and most of all... be patient.

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/SGLudwig/DSC00096-2.jpg[/img]

I've been GASing for a Les Paul in that colour for a while! Sweet guitar!

I looked at the Plus Top when I got my Plain Top. But, the Plus Tops seemed to have a chambered as they were very light weight and were selling for around $599.99 If if they had the plus top in a solid body, I probably would have gotten one in an Iced Tea finish.

Shawn

I looked at the Plus Top when I got my Plain Top. But' date=' the Plus Tops seemed to have a chambered as they were very light weight bodies and were selling for around $599.99 If if they had the plus top in a solid body, I probably would have gotten one in an Iced Tea finish.

Shawn [/quote']

No chambers on mine. My LP weighs 9.5b lbs

Epi-Man' date=' you said the pups sound good, better than your dot, why change them. I used to have a 94 LP and the pups in that thing were flat out great. Just cause its stock don't mean its bad, you can always pot an old pickup. The best sounding pups I won are 40 years old![/quote']

Good point, Musikron. They do sound very good to me - unlike the pups in my 2-year-old Dot. I will definitely be changing out the pups on the Dot. But yeah, I probably won't swap out the pickups on this LP because it does sound really good to me.. I am interested in seeing if they are stock, so I'll open up the hood soon and check.. But even if they are, I'll probably keep them. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

I have a 1997' date=' Limited Edition, Trans-Blue LP Standard Plus MIK (Unsung). Nice guitar, but I also want to get new pups in it. I like the pups in my 2006 G400 and will probably never change them. But the ones in the LP don't sound near as good.

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg259/SGLudwig/DSC00096-2.jpg[/img]

Hmm, your '97 is obviously pretty close to my '96 MIK Epi LP, but I am pretty happy with these pups, to be honest. They sound good to me - not muddy at all. They may not be the originals, tho - I need to check under the hood soon and see...

By the way, nice looking trans-blue! And great score for $230....

I looked at the Plus Top when I got my Plain Top. But' date=' the Plus Tops seemed to have a chambered as they were very light weight and were selling for around $599.99 If if they had the plus top in a solid body, I probably would have gotten one in an Iced Tea finish.

Shawn [/quote']

My '96 Epi LP Plus Top is not light at all. In fact, it's rather heavy.. But I like a Les Paul to be heavy. On the other hand, my Gibson Special Faded SG is light as a feather, but I like the light weight of the SG ... Go figure..

SG_IMG_0964PB.jpg

I looked at the Plus Top when I got my Plain Top. But' date=' the Plus Tops seemed to have a chambered as they were very light weight and were selling for around $599.99 If if they had the plus top in a solid body, I probably would have gotten one in an Iced Tea finish.

Shawn [/quote']

The Ultras are chambered but, so far as I understand, the Plus Tops aren't.

Thanks colchar.

I totally understand. Something possessed me to find this colour LP. Took me about a year to find it. But it was worth the wait.

I go back and forth about whether I like the pick guard or not. On that colour, I definitely don't!

There is one in the exact same colour in a local store that has been on sale for a while because the pickup selector switch is installed incorrectly - it goes side to side as opposed to up and down. I keep thinking I should go in there and talk them down in price due to how long it has been in there (to say nothing of the fact that I have just ordered one of the new Orange PiX series amps from them) and then just get the switch fixed as that should be cheap enough to do but I am little concerned about what else might be wrong with the guitar. I'm actually surprised that a guitar with a screwed up switch made it out of the factory as you'd think QC would've caught that.

Archived